everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
Song of the Week: Let It Go - Idina Menzel/Frozen

Nonahan Watch

eYFQL.gif

Carlyle Firing Watch

yes_no3.jpg

fire him, fire him not.... fire him.. fire him not.

Let Go of the Loser Mentality in LeafLand

Take it away, Elsa:

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

In this season of re-vamping the Maple Leafs Culture (accountability, leadership, buzz word, buzz word), we the fans keep mucking around in the mud of the past, and need to justify it, find other things to excuse it, or just roll around in it while saying why the Leafs suck. For Example:

bruinsleafs.jpg

Heartbreak in Game Seven

It sucked. It was historic. But people still can't see it, people still get mad about it and so on. Why? It was a great sporting moment. (I mean it sucked for us - and it was brutal) but it was a great sporting moment. Almost every team has "oh my God, that happened? moment, and it actually stinks that the Leafs racked up 3 in 3 years....but - we need to let this moment go. We need to accept that it happened and hope that! never happens again (which is part of Nonahan's job now).

Or this:

ehfxema.jpg

Get. Over. it. It happened. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. And this goes for Gerry Cheevers, the trade that would have = Scott Neidermayer (but actually would have been Eric Lindros had we really sucked), or [oh this trade really sucked but I bet I can beat it with this one! Why are we living in the past? Yes - those players would really, really help if they were in the system or with the big club? Yes.

But here's the thing. That's all hindsight. Just because they are and/or were amazing before - doesn't mean had they grown up and developed in the Toronto system they'd be who they were now. Sure - they could have. We could have been a dynasty, or it could have been fair to middling. We judge these things because we saw how their careers turned out.

The only thing we should want for the new management is to learn from the past. Us as the fans shouldn't be using this as sackcloth and ashes every time someone brings up a trade request.

FSCN1044.JPG

We need to get over this. and 2002. For our sanity. (though the team could take a page of the work ethic of those teams) :nod:

And the biggest one for what I feel applies for most fans nowadays

kessel590.jpg

the beginning of the retool.... seven years later

And this is where I have to take my own advice. This happened. You may hate Burke for it (or rather what he's now doing in Calgary vs. what he did in Toronto), you may hate Kessel being here, and you want to try to undo it - but we need to get over this. We need to accept what happened and hope that again what happened in the past is something at we learn from, but after every bad thing - we come back to this point - as if - this point is what prevented anything good from ever happening.

We need to push past this. Not come back to it, and wrap up in it like it's a blanket of pathetic comfort after bad things happen to our organization. I think it starts with mindsets. I believe (I choose to believe) that with Shanahan (and Nonis - ergo: Nonahan) will continue to put the Leafs on the right path, using what hurt the Leafs before as an example. Like a history book.

But we as fans need to .. well. let it go. Move on. live for the future. There are - as grumpy as we are - good things to look forward to, if you choose/decide to.

SO...

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

DaisyVision #4: Dion Phaneuf (Captain) & Carl Gunnarsson

tumblr_mbniwinqbs1rs62ip.gif

xnMdhH7.jpg

I will admit. I had zero idea who Larry Murphy was until this year. (Just like I didn't know that being right handed in the NHL was the newest 'thing'.). He was before my time. I knew that we don't like crap defensemen. (Aki Berg. Cory Cross. Bryan McCabe at the end. Mike Komisarek we're all looking at you). And I knew that Phaneuf is one 1/2 of the polarizing YES WE NEED HIM! NO WE DON'T spectrum in Leaf Nation. I firmly believe - without a shadow of a doubt - He's done here. It doesn't matter what he does - (unless you know, he wins the Norris next year, or the Conn Smythe... see what I did there?).

It's like Dion forgot a few things
A: He's in TORONTO.
B: He's the CAPTAIN of the Leafs and C
C: He's the CAPTAIN of the LEAFS in TORONTO.
D: we get really, really really cranky.

And Dion has no one to blame for the total shift of "general dislike" to full on "Larry Murphy-dom" but himself. Holy Moses did this man make it hard on himself this season.

I think that everyone can admit that in the beginning of the season - his play personally was really, really good. Like. Very. He and Gunnar were shutting down Ovi (who had like only 2 points against us in the series), Crosby (1 goal against us in the series), and in several games his big plays and big hits turned the tide. I instantly think to that big hit on the Anaheim player (which won him Player of the Week!) in October. and. As we learned in 24/7. He was a great motivational speaker:

Also. He could spell intense

But after he signed on the dotted line and earned 7 million dollars for 7 years. And I even remember saying during is press conference it really sounded like he & Nonis were talking in code because 'people were bring brought in' and 'surrounding the core' and stuff like that.

And then. ..Dion's play just....well. this kinda sums up the second 1/2 of the season

Phaneuf.gif

Play after play, game after game - it just snowballed. And the worst part about it is - it happened after the Olympic Break. so one couldn't really argue "ooh. He was tired." well yah he had 2 weeks off. And the injury thing... this is the time of year everyone was injured.

But I think what really did him a disservice - was "that Night." You know the night I'm talking about. Him vs. St Louis. Basically, he decide to channel Franson that night and was responsible for 4 goals against. Everyone was booing him (lustily), and... Dion decides not to talk to the media.

I think Sid says it better than I could:

I don't even have a hope for him or anything - I am truly 100 percent mystified, and intrigued on what they're going to do with him. Like if Shanahan says "he needs to go - for ANYTHING" (ala: Rick Nash/Columbus) even if we retain salary, he's going to go. (And then we'll be defensively worse on paper. In theory). Or. He'll stay. And he can really ramp up his game. Which would be okay. In theory.

But I think this is beyond - he's overpaid/overrated/unerappreciated/he's the best we've got. People simply don't like him. (also he's a liar. Or he's stupid: see all his responses during the meltdown. Everyone is saying yah this is bad, we're being out worked, and Dion's all like "yah, we're good!" No, love. We sucked. We would have appreciated you not telling us how 'hardworking' y'all are being when we saw you not just 3 minutes ago sucking like you never sucked the night before). And in a city where we cherish our Captains.... he could be the only one in the 14 before him that people don't mind him being Marleaued. Like - big time.

So this Phaneuf Drahamah - is going to be intriguing up until July 1st. then he has 10 team list to submit and then it's not Drahamah at all. It's just hoping he plays better or we get someone to play with him. Speaking of which.

1Ox3VUl.jpg

He has the best plus minus on the team. (I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that he didn't play on the powerplay that let up 2 shorties in 1 powerplay both times AND he didn't have to play with Franson that much).

But....

I really don't have anything to say about Gunnar. I thought - despite some issues - he played well, and if we could get him on the 2nd line where he should be - he'd be really good. but like almost every position we've got - everyone is playing in the position they shouldn't be playing.

But he's Swedish. Nothing stood out. He came in, did his job, and went home. Play better next time with better choices next season, and we're good to go.

my. that ended on a boring note.

Sorry.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bonus points for Nonahan watch.

However you cant just say when something goes wrong that its "hindsight". If you called it a bad idea WHILE it happened (which many people did during various bad moves / non-moves of ours in the past 5 years), then its not hindsight.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

However you cant just say when something goes wrong that its "hindsight". If you called it a bad idea WHILE it happened (which many people did during various bad moves / non-moves of ours in the past 5 years), then its not hindsight.

okay. true. i'll give you that point it's not hindsight.
BUT! we can't wrap up in it like a blanket either (which was the bigger point) :)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I will never understand why Gunnar is involved in so many trade proposals.
He is a solid guy who just does his job, we need more guys like that not less.
He would be better suited playing on the second pairing but it isnt his fault he is the best we have and have to play him above what should be his roll.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
got rielly in the gunner photo, great write up and a nice change from what this forum normally spews. Phaneuf has me mystified too, its tough to defend him at this point...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

be kessel goes before phaneuf or better yet nonis before both of them ,,,,,vabxouver is eating 16 milion in salaries in mamagement ,leafs ceap that much in a day

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I love your .gif selections for these things, haha.

I don't give people credit when they always look at the worst case scenario and then when it happens they say 'see I told you so'. The Leafs have done a lot of things wrong but some people write off everything they do simply because it's the Leafs and they can't do anything right, I have less interest in hearing those people gloat about 'knowing it all along'...even a broken clock is right twice a day. And to be clear, for those of you who are more level headed and aren't doom and gloom about everything, I'm not referring to you.

I had my doubts about Phaneuf going into this season. I ate my words earlier in the season...and then by the end of it, he reinforced every doubt I have about him. All this talk about him playing the toughest minutes, that might be a great point if he was actually consistently good at it. Phaneuf can't play more than 23 minutes a game and when he does, his play falls off a cliff. Phaneuf plays those minutes because he's forced to play them not because he can legitimately handle all of those tough minutes and has fully earned them. I'm willing to give every player the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not going to start trashing Phaneuf and saying he sucks - he doesn't. But this team needs change and maybe a good start is changing the unreliable guy who happens to wear the C.

By the way, you have a picture of Reilly in place of Gunnar. And speaking of Gunnar, the guy is solid. He has his off games but he's easily the most steady guy on our backend. I do think that he's most suitable for a second pairing but the fact that he has held his own and been so consistent for years now is a testament to his smarts as a player. He can't put up points like the rest of them but he plays defense and that's what a DEENSEman is supposed to do. Gunnar doesn't get enough respect around here. He gets thrown into so many trade proposals when there are guys on our team that would make our team better simply by doing some addition by subtraction.

I don't regret having Kessel, I regret Burke's idiocy in not protecting the picks.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Nice write-up as always, Daisy.

Tim Leiweke said that he's guaranteeing that 2 and 12 slide will never happen again. Short of Harry Potter-style magic, the only reason I can that he said that is that they've decided who was responsible from the players, and will be moving them out. I think Phaneuf is one of the first guys they move, even if it's for 40 cents on the dollar.

I think a lot of guys are on the move, including Randy. If Randy's kept, I hope the fans stay away in droves, I think it's the only thing that MSLE will recognize as a need to change.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gunnar looks so much like Morgan Rielly there :laugh: had to do a double take

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
:laugh: Okay I got it. I got the wrong picture. TO BE FAIR - when I googled up Carl Gunnarson - this picture came up first. so that's my defense - and i'm sticking to it. ;)

okay i fixed it y'all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad