TSN: Looks like The Sporting News was RIGHT! TSN picks the Jets to win the Cup!

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
LOL I didn't say I liked or respected him. Just reporting the facts.

Bodog is stupid (pandering to Leafs Nation). Toronto wasted millions on a player that replicates a strength. So, instead of spending money on D and G (which they need to advance), they are taking away ice time from their young stars, and not adding any value to their team.

They aren't winning anything unless they trade some forward skill for D and G, and that' stupid too because they will have to trade young cost controlled stars for an older, expensive guy. Just idiotic

Jinxes, much like unicorns and witches on brooms do not exist.
There is no credible evidence that supports the existence of unicorns on brooms, but the jinx is very much a real thing in a case like this. It is not a matter of superstition, but human psychology - it's harder to perform well when the expectations are set extremely high.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There is no credible evidence that supports the existence of unicorns on brooms, but the jinx is very much a real thing in a case like this. It is not a matter of superstition, but human psychology - it's harder to perform well when the expectations are set extremely high.

I seent one of them unicorns. Asked me for $3.50!

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Is there credible evidence for the bolded?
Perhaps you meant that it is more difficult to meet higher expectations.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am a Jets fan to the end. I expect the worst. Not too sure how to process a winning team other than just enjoy. Ive never seen a Jets team considered a favorite for anything. In my mind we are the perennial underdog.

You don't remember the Bud Grant Bombers? Not even the WHA Jets?

Young pup! :)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i won't lie. and my opinion has as much value as the rest of the opinions on here.
i wouldn't be shocked if the Jets miss the playoffs.
i mean, i expect them to make it and do well, but the Central is such a mess. Nashville, a decent Minnesota club with a goalie that loves to steal games, St Louis (who the pundits love but i'm still not sold on), an improved Dallas team and a Colorado team that had a hot end to last year. so one never knows

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
SC or bust, baby! They've got the horses to do it.

I've got an internal bet with an employee who's a Leafs fan: loser has to wear the cap of the winning team for one week around the office. I won this bet last year, when it was a race to finish ahead of the other team. I'm confident that we have as good a shot as any of the top teams to take it all this year.

:yo:

Last edited:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I don't fully understand how Leaf-nation thinks that the team is so vastly superior to last year's squad. Tavares does absolutely give them one of the best groups of top 3 centres, but they gave up 54 goals and 116 points in the three forwards they lost. Tavares has only once had a point per game season and has never scored over 40. They haven't shored up their defense at all so Anderson is going to get peppered this year once again. The Leafs are a very good team, but they should hardly be considered serious contenders when considering their eastern opposition.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't fully understand how Leaf-nation thinks that the team is so vastly superior to last year's squad. Tavares does absolutely give them one of the best groups of top 3 centres, but they gave up 54 goals and 116 points in the three forwards they lost. Tavares has only once had a point per game season and has never scored over 40. They haven't shored up their defense at all so Anderson is going to get peppered this year once again. The Leafs are a very good team, but they should hardly be considered serious contenders when considering their eastern opposition.

I think the Leafs are a contender, but no more so than several other teams, including the Jets. They will miss Nylander for however many games he may sit out. They need to get by BB and TBL. The Bolts are solid and deep. No guarantee at all that they get out of their division.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Our goaltending situation could hurt us badly. Can everyone say a prayer each and every night for Helle's health please.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea but once we hit 114 points, were second in the NHL, and made the final four the expectations were baked into this young team. This is just a continuation of how things go and honestly that is all part of winning a championship. Teams like Pitt, Chicago, LA, the Caps, and Detroit before them all had to live with the hype.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i won't lie. and my opinion has as much value as the rest of the opinions on here.
i wouldn't be shocked if the Jets miss the playoffs.
i mean, i expect them to make it and do well, but the Central is such a mess. Nashville, a decent Minnesota club with a goalie that loves to steal games, St Louis (who the pundits love but i'm still not sold on), an improved Dallas team and a Colorado team that had a hot end to last year. so one never knows
Agree but I think Hellebucyk would have to crap the bed and we’d have to be beset with major or multiple injuries to miss as we are stacked.
Injuries can happen to any team so the order can change dramatically for any given roster.
I suspect Minnesota and Chicago will disappoint.
Colorado is a wild card.
Still not sold on Dallas.
Nashville and St.Louis are going to be tough.
I think we get in comfortably.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agree but I think Hellebucyk would have to crap the bed and we’d have to be beset with major or multiple injuries to miss as we are stacked.
Injuries can happen to any team so the order can change dramatically for any given roster.
Colorado is a wild card.

I think we are in a 1-2 race with Nashville again. I don't think Minnesota get enough credit. Parise is to them what Wheeler is to us. Their top 4 d are excellent and their bottom pairing hits hard. Dubnyk can be a wall. Their my pick for 3rd. St. Louis gets too much credit. They replaced Stastny with O'Reilly, Berglund with Bozak. Not sure either are an upgrade. Perron and Maroon? Don't see them as game changers. Healthy Fabbri and the kids may give them a lift, but their goaltending is always a question mark.

Dallas just doesn't impress me. One line, decent d, big but beatable goalie.

Colorado is hard to gauge. They could improve, they could regress.

Chicago has some talent, but no depth. I think they may tank for Hughes.

I think 4 Pacific teams are going to be tough competition: Kings, Sharks, Knights and Oilers. I love the first round series prediction with the Oilers. Would be a classic, and a chance for redemption after years of agonizing defeats for the old guard.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Colorado is a wild card.
explain to me what St Louis will be tough. do Jake Allen and Chad Johnston scare you? track record says they're not a factor.
their D doesn't scare me the way it did 2 years ago. their top 2 are great. the rest?
up front, they have Steen, whose numbers are on par with Bryan Little. Tarasenko's amazing. ROR is...well, we don't 100% know, do we? who else scares you? Schwartz? middling points. Perron? Schenn?
i mean, they have 1 stud, 1 possible excellent forward, and then, in my opinion, a bunch of bottom 6 guys.

Chicago may very well be a lottery team.

Minnesota is, IMO, better than St Louis. StL has the better player but Minn has a better group of forwards. so i expect them to challenge.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Leafs are going to benefit from some real bad teams in their division, no doubt they make the playoffs and then then they go out in the first round, shock will envelop Leaf nation..................again :laugh:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Watching the Habs-Leafs pregame show on Sportsnet (as I haven't had my daily quota of masochism yet). They ask a bunch of NHL players who's going to win the Stanley Cup. Everybody says their own team, even Keller of the Yotes. Except one player. Taylor Halls says the Winnipeg Jets.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watching the Habs-Leafs pregame show on Sportsnet (as I haven't had my daily quota of masochism yet). They ask a bunch of NHL players who's going to win the Stanley Cup. Everybody says their own team, even Keller of the Yotes. Except one player. Taylor Halls says the Winnipeg Jets.
That's because Hall wants to be a Winnipeg Jet and kick the shit out of Mc Jesus and the Oilers . :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kiss of death
tenor.gif

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
It's fun being the tv's talking heads sexy pick for top contender, but my expectation of the Jets is to just make playoffs.

But don't get me wrong, I plastered my social media and have been texting the haters this prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad