OT: Looking TV suggestions

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm in the market for a new TV. I was gonna go shopping one up today and hopefully check out the home opener on a fresh screen.

The main thing I'm worried about is the blur when watching hockey. My old TV was really noticeable in that sense and I'd like something a bit smoother, but I'm not a TV guy so I don't know what exactly to look for. Other thank hockey its main use will be kids shows and movies.

My requirements are:

65" (or more)
1500 or less after tax
minimal motion blur

Preferences but not deal breakers:

HDR

I plan on buying a sound bar to go with it so speakers don't matter.

I'm not looking for a super top of the line TV, just something with a solid picture.

If anyone has any suggestions locally let me know!

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Not that I really know what I'm talking about but I'd recommend checking out London drugs, was just looking around there the other day and they had some decent looking deals

As for brand I'd go Samsung LG or Sony personally

Reactions: Hopelesslucicfan

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How high are you willing to go? I'm really liking the oled65c9. Does everything really well. If you game on your tv I keep hearing the Vizio quantum TVs are very good for that. Nothing will beat the new LG's for a while though as they are putting out a gsync patch for variable refresh rates for 4k HDR PC gaming, hehe. Variable refresh may be used in next gen consoles as well.

Definitely would second buying from Costco. 90 days to price match our return (don't even need the box to bring it back) and good warranty.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
How high are you willing to go? I'm really liking the oled65c9. Does everything really well. If you game on your tv I keep hearing the Vizio quantum TVs are very good for that. Nothing will beat the new LG's for a while though as they are putting out a gsync patch for variable refresh rates for 4k HDR PC gaming, hehe.

Definitely would second buying from Costco. 90 days to price match our return (don't even need the box to bring it back) and good warranty.

Not looking for anything more than ~1500 right now.

I've got good monitors for all my pc and console gaming, this is just for hockey, kids shows/tv and whatever crappy reality tv show my wife is watching at the time.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Costco constantly has sales on their TV's. I'd wait till they go on sale and pick one up from there. The Vizios are great tvs. The PQ65 is $1600 right now but should come down sometime soon.

The M65 is a solid TV and is on sale for $1,040 right now online (will be cheaper in store).

Reactions: PinSeeker

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Check Costco out. I know a few guys at work have bought TV's from there in the past year and have been quite happy.
I second this. Both my TV's over last couple years have been Vizio M-series line. If you read reviews, usually best bang for the buck. Also can get from Costco.

Reactions: Hopelesslucicfan

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I second this. Both my TV's over last couple years have been Vizio M-series line. If you read reviews, usually best bang for the buck. Also can get from Costco.

Yah I have the P65 in my bonus room and its an awesome TV.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Costco is a good idea because the Costco return policy is like free warranty

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not that I really know what I'm talking about but I'd recommend checking out London drugs, was just looking around there the other day and they had some decent looking deals

As for brand I'd go Samsung LG or Sony personally
London Drugs has impressed me with their prices in the past. We don't have then out here but I wish we did.

At this point for what the OP is asking for almost all of the options will be from those three manufacturers since they pretty much dominate the market. The Cheaper brands actually do make decent to good TV's but you need a little more care. Some of the cheaper $1500 is actually a very good number these days though it is just a hair under the low end for Samsung's low end QLED tv's. Something like Samsung's UN65RU8000FXZC is in that range. It has HDR as well. Motion blur should not be a real issue with today's tv's in this price range. Sony tends to be a hair more expensive for similar specs. I like LG's TV's but their entry level OLED line is not yet in that price range.

It is also possible that if hockey is the primary driver that a cheaper TV will work well. There are some ery nice sets in the $800-1200 range these days that lack some of the processing of the more expensive sets but have basically the same panel.

These TV's all have their features and quirks so it is kind of a gut feel process. Its tough to go all that wrong.

By the way global HDR is an invention of a U of T Computer Engineering professor Steven Mann who developed it while at the MIT media labs. He is an extremely interesting character who has invented many things. It is worth giving him a look.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
$1500 could get you a really nice 65" 4K TV just about any vendor. But costco for sure. They have the best return policy. I'm looking for one myself but going to settle around the $700-$800 range

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The P line is phenomenal but I am guessing the 65 is over $1500?
I have also been impressed by some of the Vizio TV's.

It's a little off topic but today's projectors are also a great option if you have the right room. You don't need anything exotic, mostly just a bare wall without a ton of ambient light. A $1K projector can give you a 130 inch picture that works great for hockey.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
I prefer Samsung for TV's. I am a huge fan of their Q-LED TV's. I recommend spending a bit more and getting a 65inch Q-LED. Visions is a great place because you can haggle a bit on the price, they also give you store credit if you pay for the warranty and don't end up using it. I think they have a 65-inch Q-LED on sale for about $1700 (reg $2300). What I was told and can now vouch for:

QLED - better for watching straight on, great for gaming and sports
OLED - watching from any angle, great blacks, better for movies

Reactions: Porkleaker

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I prefer Samsung for TV's. I am a huge fan of their Q-LED TV's. I recommend spending a bit more and getting a 65inch Q-LED. Visions is a great place because you can haggle a bit on the price, they also give you store credit if you pay for the warranty and don't end up using it. I think they have a 65-inch Q-LED on sale for about $1700 (reg $2300). What I was told and can now vouch for:

QLED - better for watching straight on, great for gaming and sports
OLED - watching from any angle, great blacks, better for movies

The Vizios are rated better at a lower price point.

I suggest using this site for your research:

TV Table Tool

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I would reccomend buying a Samsung TV since in my opinion they make the best TVs. I bought a Samsung 65 inch 4k TV a year ago from Visions.

If you know anyone who works at Best Buy or Visions, you should buy it from there to get a employee discount. If not, I would buy it from Costco

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
:huh:

Customer reviews average 4.7/5 with nearly 400 reviews on Visions and 4.6/5 out of 604 on Best Buy's site makes it seem like decent tv.

Compared to other TV's. If you look at the table I linked its ranked 98th and you can see that it is almost a 3 year old TV already. For the same price point +/- $100 you can get into a much better tv.

Reactions: McFuhryous

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
The Vizios are rated better at a lower price point.

I suggest using this site for your research:

TV Table Tool
Thanks. Seems like a really useful tool. I went back and forth b/w LG's OLED vs Samsung's QLED but I got a slightly better deal on the QLED. Can't really go wrong either way. Just based off a few friends having VIZIO and my non Q-LED Samsung, I felt the picture quality was slightly better on mine but I don't know what VIZIO they had.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Compared to other TV's. If you look at the table I linked its ranked 98th and you can see that it is almost a 3 year old TV already. For the same price point +/- $100 you can get into a much better tv.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you had meant consumer reviews-lol.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I have also been impressed by some of the Vizio TV's.

It's a little off topic but today's projectors are also a great option if you have the right room. You don't need anything exotic, mostly just a bare wall without a ton of ambient light. A $1K projector can give you a 130 inch picture that works great for hockey.
I’ve definitely considered this, and it would make for fun movie nights with the kids, but from what I gather, there aren’t many options for true 4K projectors. Most are upscaled and we’ll above the price of a 65” 4K television.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad