OT: Looking TV suggestions

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I find hockey is tough to watch on budget led T.V's they just can't keep up with the refresh rate.
Just watched Saturday nights game on my friends 70" Vizio and man it was rough on my eyes. I may be one of those people that can detect the judder in 120hz t.v's or something though.
I have a decent quality Samsung led that handles hockey much better.
I also have a strong quality Samsung plasma that is flawless for hockey. I'm sad that Plasma's have gone away as they were the absolute best for hockey imo.
I'm not sure how well OLED do though.. they're just too expensive or were last I checked.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I find hockey is tough to watch on budget led T.V's they just can't keep up with the refresh rate.
Just watched Saturday nights game on my friends 70" Vizio and man it was rough on my eyes. I may be one of those people that can detect the judder in 120hz t.v's or something though.
I have a decent quality Samsung led that handles hockey much better.
I also have a strong quality Samsung plasma that is flawless for hockey. I'm sad that Plasma's have gone away as they were the absolute best for hockey imo.
I'm not sure how well OLED do though.. they're just too expensive or were last I checked.

OLEDs came way down in price over the last two years.

The LG C9 is pretty much top of the line for a TV these days. The 55" goes for >$2000 CAD or less than $1300 USD (I know right!). That is highly competitive with any other brand's top of the line TV and quite consistent with "best of the year" pricing for TVs going back a decade. It's always been $2000+ to get a top of the line 55" TV.

Unfortunately there is a silly jump in price for the 65" version of the same TV.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm in the market for a new TV. I was gonna go shopping one up today and hopefully check out the home opener on a fresh screen.

The main thing I'm worried about is the blur when watching hockey. My old TV was really noticeable in that sense and I'd like something a bit smoother, but I'm not a TV guy so I don't know what exactly to look for. Other thank hockey its main use will be kids shows and movies.

My requirements are:

65" (or more)
1500 or less after tax
minimal motion blur

Preferences but not deal breakers:

HDR

I plan on buying a sound bar to go with it so speakers don't matter.

I'm not looking for a super top of the line TV, just something with a solid picture.

If anyone has any suggestions locally let me know!

Just a suggestion, but I (admittedly it's been awhile) have always found the reviews on Newegg.com to be great for these types of technology purposes. Frankly, probably a lot better than randoms on a hockey board.

I have a Klipsch sound bar / subwoofer, definitely recommend it: RSB-14 Sound Bar + Wireless Subwoofer | Klipsch

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I'm in the market for a new TV. I was gonna go shopping one up today and hopefully check out the home opener on a fresh screen.

The main thing I'm worried about is the blur when watching hockey. My old TV was really noticeable in that sense and I'd like something a bit smoother, but I'm not a TV guy so I don't know what exactly to look for. Other thank hockey its main use will be kids shows and movies.

My requirements are:

65" (or more)
1500 or less after tax
minimal motion blur

Preferences but not deal breakers:

HDR

I plan on buying a sound bar to go with it so speakers don't matter.

I'm not looking for a super top of the line TV, just something with a solid picture.

If anyone has any suggestions locally let me know!

if you're still looking buddy I found one thats probably perfect for u:
LG 70" 4K HDR LED Smart TV with ThinQ AI and Voice Assistant Compatibility (70UM6970)

70 inch LG 4k HDR for $898 from $1699

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad