Friedman: Looking like Seth Jones will test free agency

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
is it true he wants to come to Colorado???

that shouldnt be allowed due to just not being fair for the league lol

in all seriousness though, that would be unreal to see

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Some serious underrating of Jones going on in this thread based on his play this season which you're all looking way too much into.
It’s the typical disconnect between the analytics fans vs the eye test fans. I definitely believe that most teams value Jones much higher than what analytics fans do.

Not to mention that there’s always some disconnect between mainstream analytics and what teams use. Carolina is pretty analytic-based and they traded for Brady Skjei.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s the typical disconnect between the analytics fans vs the eye test fans. I definitely believe that most teams value Jones much higher than what analytics fans do.

Not to mention that there’s always some disconnect between mainstream analytics and what teams use. Carolina is pretty analytic-based and they traded for Brady Skjei.

"Mainstream analytics" - you mean the stuff that people do on twitter and substack while they're semi-unemployed because teams won't hire them to be in-house analysts? Yes Carolina brought in Skjei, Toronto brought in Cody frikkin Ceci (and said he had good analytics in-house), and Zito just brought in Sam Bennett who was supposed to have awful analytics underlying his lack of scoring. The stuff we see is not the stuff that teams see. They have better analysts and much better data than just shot attempts.

Reactions: Nucker101

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For who? Columbus gets another winger making $8m plus?

Columbus won't have a problem just shipping out Laine if he becomes inconvenient. Marner is a class above, you don't balk at getting a player like that because of a lesser player like Laine.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
is it true he wants to come to Colorado???

that shouldnt be allowed due to just not being fair for the league lol

in all seriousness though, that would be unreal to see

Not true. Atleast I haven't read anything in that regard.

I mean both the Avs and Stars (aka his "hometown teams") would probably be high on the list of teams he would want to play for but I don't think either team will be very interested in making it happen.

Speaking as an Avs fan, Jones to Colorado makes no sense at all unless he is willing to play for 5-6m / year (which he won't be)...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Columbus won't have a problem just shipping out Laine if he becomes inconvenient. Marner is a class above, you don't balk at getting a player like that because of a lesser player like Laine.

I'd put Marner over Laine as well but move Jones for Marner and you're still down a C that I don't think Laine will return.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd put Marner over Laine as well but move Jones for Marner and you're still down a C that I don't think Laine will return.

Directly, probably not. But I think Laine's value might be pretty similar to someone like Reinhart or J.T. Miller. Get Miller, or get a #8-#10 pick for Laine and then send that for Reinhart.

Then if you can sign Danault you've got a solid group of centers. No elite guys but there's a weapon for every job.

Reinhart/Miller
Danault
Roslovic
Tex/Jenner/etc....

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Directly, probably not. But I think Laine's value might be pretty similar to someone like Reinhart or J.T. Miller. Get Miller, or get a #8-#10 pick for Laine and then send that for Reinhart.

Then if you can sign Danault you've got a solid group of centers. No elite guys but there's a weapon for every job.

Reinhart/Miller
Danault
Roslovic
Tex/Jenner/etc....

I'm not sold still but the path isn't as bad as I thought. I don't think Laine brings that level of return anymore but maybe you don't need a star C in return to make it work.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He just doesn't show up when he's really needed, Like playoff time. He's great in the regular season but sucks come playoff time.

In Columbus we're still in the "figuring out how to not suck in the regular season" stage. Will get back to that other problem when we finish fixing this one.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
For who? Columbus gets another winger making $8m plus?

Who's the first one? It's not outrageous imo.

Domi, Jones, Merzlikins for Marner, Kerfoot, Liljegren, ??? to balance (if needed)

Columbus gets a young superstar they control for 4 more years who can light it up with Laine (bigger selling point for them than for most teams). They'd embrace the winger heavy Vegas model that has Vegas near the top during the RS even with lower end C depth leaguewide since Columbus can't really fix their C situation in the near term. Minnesota was successful too while being winger driven on offense this year. Roslovic, Kerfoot, Textier plus whoever else they get at C could be sufficient with Marner, Laine, Bjorkstrand helping carry them up front. Get a Boudreau like coach to emphasize winger attack off the rush vs elite two way heavy lifting at center.

Toronto gets stronger on D and in goal while getting a cheaper top 6 sparkplug in Domi who might go apeshit in the playoffs in TO and reallocating their roster spending. They can still fill out a formidable playoff oriented forward corps around Domi/Matthews/Tavares/Nylander

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Who's the first one? It's not outrageous imo.

Domi, Jones, Merzlikins for Marner, Kerfoot, Liljegren, ??? to balance (if needed)

Columbus gets a young superstar they control for 4 more years who can light it up with Laine (bigger selling point for them than for most teams). They'd embrace the winger heavy Vegas model that has Vegas near the top during the RS even with lower end C depth leaguewide since Columbus can't really fix their C situation in the near term. Minnesota was successful too while being winger driven on offense this year. Roslovic, Kerfoot, Textier plus whoever else they get at C could be sufficient with Marner, Laine, Bjorkstrand helping carry them up front. Get a Boudreau like coach to emphasize winger attack off the rush vs elite two way heavy lifting at center.

Toronto gets stronger on D and in goal while getting a cheaper top 6 sparkplug in Domi who might go apeshit in the playoffs in TO and reallocating their roster spending. They can still fill out a formidable playoff oriented forward corps around Domi/Matthews/Tavares/Nylander

Laine is due at least $8m from his QO ($7.5m plus 10%). So that's almost a quarter of the cap tied up in two wingers.

I don't think a bunch of extras on either side gets it done and I don't think Laine and Marner are the same type of wingers that have made the teams you listed successful.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine is due at least $8m from his QO ($7.5m plus 10%). So that's almost a quarter of the cap tied up in two wingers.

I don't think a bunch of extras on either side gets it done and I don't think Laine and Marner are the same type of wingers that have made the teams you listed successful.

Laine's QO is just $7.5m even with no increase. There's no boost in Laine's salary range.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The simple way to do it is:

Domi + Jones for Marner + Holl

Adding Kerfoot makes it worse for the Jackets, and Elvis way way worse. (I would say Elvis is unavailable but I do think they're listening).

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
To Leafs:
Seth Jones
Max Domi

To Sabres:
Patrick Laine

To Blue Jackets:
Sam Reinhart
Mitch Marner
Travis Dermott

Scorlov

May 17, 2021

Marner did unquestionably make his team successful at getting to the playoffs though.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he takes his game up a level being the guy somewhere else as many players have. MacKinnon after Duchene left, Barzal after Tavares, Kane this year after Toews went down, etc.

I guess Columbus can sell Jones for parts instead since I doubt he gets a core piece with a year before FA and even if he negotiates an extension the best precedent for that is the Mark Stone return

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To Leafs:
Seth Jones
Max Domi

To Sabres:
Patrick Laine

To Blue Jackets:
Sam Reinhart
Mitch Marner
Travis Dermott

That's not really a three way, it's just two trades involving the Jackets.

But in any case, that is all stuff I've proposed before. Except it would have to be Holl not Dermott going to the Jackets, they're not going to actually go with zero RHD. And the Sabres probably aren't a good spot with Laine, they have their shooters already. They'll either swap Laine for a #~9ish pick or have the Jackets get the pick and then trade that for Reinhart. That would be a three-way!

Or screw it, just take that #9OA and throw in the Jackets #5OA and next year's first and get Eichel.

Marner - Eichel - literally any shooter

And that's a great line. Lots of options at RW there - Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad