Friedman: Looking like Seth Jones will test free agency

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Eichel doesn't have a NMC/NTC so he has no choice but to accept a trade to Columbus. but there's zero chance of Seth jones signing long term with Buffalo. So that's the deal breaker right there.
Eichel doesn't even have an modified NTC?? Are you serious? Wow, that's a shocker.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I could see the Winnipeg Jets trading for him, although our main problem is salary so we'd likely send DeMelo and need Columbus to retain in order to make it work. But don't think it's worth it on Winnipeg's end.

I could see him ending up with either the Islanders or Bruins in terms of a trade.

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
How about Dallas trading Hintz for Jones( with agreement to sign extension)? CJB takes a bit of a risk but could get their 1C with a sweetheart deal and contract control (3,15$M, RFA 2023). Stars have C depth, they can afford to lose Hintz and would get one of the best D-cores in the league. They could even trade Klingberg after this, who is UFA next summer and up for a big raise.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Why not start with Schmidt.

Schmidt
1st
Podkolzin
Cap dumps

Why would vancouver do this if he's going to free agency in 12 month? You could literally just pay him a bunch of money and keep your top 10 pick and podkolzin. Sheesh. Bad asset management.

If Jones was willing to do a sign and trade to Vancouver it would be because he wants to play here, given he could just wait a year and go where he wants.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why would vancouver do this if he's going to free agency in 12 month? You could literally just pay him a bunch of money and keep your top 10 pick and podkolzin. Sheesh. Bad asset management.

If Jones was willing to do a sign and trade to Vancouver it would be because he wants to play here, given he could just wait a year and go where he wants.

Because players like this usually don't make it to free agency, even when they say "intends to explore free agency". They usually get traded to one of their preferred destinations and extend there.

I'm not really debating the trade for Vancouver in particular, I'm just saying that he is unlikely to be available beyond this summer.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How about Dallas trading Hintz for Jones( with agreement to sign extension)? CJB takes a bit of a risk but could get their 1C with a sweetheart deal and contract control (3,15$M, RFA 2023). Stars have C depth, they can afford to lose Hintz and would get one of the best D-cores in the league. They could even trade Klingberg after this, who is UFA next summer and up for a big raise.

Look at Dallas and their lineup. Hintz is their only young high end forward. Why would they trade him for 1 year of Seth Jones (CBJ can't offer more than that which limits his value whether people like it or not) instead of just re-signing Klingberg?

With Heiskanen, Lindell and Klingberg (who will re-sign if they want it to happen) and Harley coming, I just don't see why Dallas should do it. Looking at their team I could maybe see them make an UFA pitch to the hometown kid with all the money they have coming off the books in 2022 and see if he is willing to take a bit of a discount (no state tax should help) if things with Klingberg don't work out the way they want to this offseason. But I really don't see them give up any assets for 1 year of Jones.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Look at Dallas and their lineup. Hintz is their only young high end forward. Why would they trade him for 1 year of Seth Jones (CBJ can't offer more than that which limits his value whether people like it or not) instead of just re-signing Klingberg?

With Heiskanen, Lindell and Klingberg (who will re-sign if they want it to happen) and Harley coming, I just don't see why Dallas should do it. Looking at their team I could maybe see them make an UFA pitch to the hometown kid with all the money they have coming off the books in 2022 and see if he is willing to take a bit of a discount (no state tax should help) if things with Klingberg don't work out the way they want to this offseason. But I really don't see them give up any assets for 1 year of Jones.

I’d add Robertson next to Hintz but you’re right that’s the list.

Dallas is a terrible match for Columbus for Jones trade and Dallas trading Hintz would make zero and I mean zero sense.

You aren’t building anything around 37y Pavelski or 30y Seguin

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is a guy all the big dogs will be fighting over. Any team can use a stud like him.

Only hope as a Jets fan is someone solid but expendable can be had for cheap once whoever gets him commits the cap space on an extension.

Defenseman that are bigger, faster and just as skilled as you are a nightmare to play against for smaller forwards and the bigger, slower bruisers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad