Line Combos: Looking back on the EJ trade

BanditKeith99

Jul 8, 2013
Duelist Kingdom
About 2 years ago i thought we lost that trade completely but, after Johnson's start to this year and if he continues to produce and perform like this, I'm pretty happy with it. What's your opinion on the trade? Would you still prefer to have Stewart and Shattenkirk?

Edit: didn't mean to put line-combo's lol

Last edited:

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Liked it then, Love it now. Id take Ej over Shatty every day of the week. Not a knock on him just think Barrie is going to develop into a player with slight to negligible differences. And I was never a fan of Stewart, he puts up points but is a limited player. Too bad Silent Jay wouldn't resign her or we would've made out like bandits.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Opening up the can of worms- Well, glad Stewies gone, love EJ, miss Shattenkirk, wish McClement would have signed, not sure about the draft picks yet. Pretty fair trade IMO.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I've always defended the trade, but damn is it way easier this season. EJ has been a stud, and Stewart is booking himself a one way flight out of St. Louis. Shattenkirk would be lovely to have, but the way Barrie is playing, that role is getting filled just fine. For all the **** the Avs took over the trade, it's looking to be a win-win right now. Shattenkirk is better in St. Louis, and EJ is better in Colorado. Colorado is better off with EJ, and St. Louis is better off with Shatty.

If the Avs didn't make the trade, we would still be throwing around pipe dreams of trading for a defenceman who the defence can be built around. I think Johnson is erasing the question marks about whether or not he can be that player. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs. He played so well in the 2010 Olympics, I think he is going to thrive under the pressure of the playoffs.

The only part of the trade I would have done differently, if I had the choice, would be not sending a 2nd round pick and not getting McClement back. For fun, I wonder if Minnesota would have moved back one spot in exchange for that 2nd round pick, or Boston back 2 for that pick. Then the Avs could have got EJ+Brodin/Hamilton. If they kept that pick, I imagine they would pick someone like Boone Jenner.

Last edited:

member 116861

I loved the trade when it happened and I love it even more today.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I thought the deal was solid from the avs POV at the time of the trade. I'm still okay with it now but I don't exactly love it.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Love it.

We need Johnson more than we Stewart and we have Barrie to replace Shattenkirk.

I think both teams won.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I like it. I don't care about Stewart that much and never have. Lets see how much longer he lasts in St.Louis. As great as Shattenkirk is and as much as I love him and want him back, Johnson has done a magnificent job this year. Swap Shatty for EJ right now and I have no doubt that we'd be a significantly worse team(not that EJ is way better than Shattenkirk, EJ just fits our needs far more).

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I remember waking up in the middle of the night and seeing "We traded Stewart to the Blues!" on my phone and immediately thought "I hope it's for Johnson!"
The addition of Shattenkirk added a sting but I absolutely LOVE EJ and if I had magic powers to undo the trade I wouldn't

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I liked the deal then because I liked Johnson's offensive potential. It hasn't worked it as well as I hoped it would. I'm glad the Avs have Johnson, as I think he's a better leader for a defensive core than Shattenkirk woulld be, despite Shattenkirk's skills. As it stands right now, the Blues got the better end of the deal.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I didn't know much about EJ when the trade was made. I remember saying on here that Shattenkirk may have been the best player in the deal. Shattenkirk is a much smarter player than Barrie IMO. I hate losing smart players like that.

I think at this point EJ has turned into the player we thought we were getting. Stewart is showing why he was moved. And Shattenkirk has played well since he got there. EJ vs Shattenkirk debate. Shatty can't do what EJ does, and EJ can't do what Shatty does. We needed that top pairing guy, and playing on the 2nd pair gave Shatty a better chance to succeed.

Solid trade, especially considering how many pieces were involved. Thanks Sherman.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't know much about EJ when the trade was made. I remember saying on here that Shattenkirk may have been the best player in the deal. Shattenkirk is a much smarter player than Barrie IMO. I hate losing smart players like that.

I think at this point EJ has turned into the player we thought we were getting. Stewart is showing why he was moved. And Shattenkirk has played well since he got there. EJ vs Shattenkirk debate. Shatty can't do what EJ does, and EJ can't do what Shatty does. We needed that top pairing guy, and playing on the 2nd pair gave Shatty a better chance to succeed.

Solid trade, especially considering how many pieces were involved. Thanks Sherman.

I wish we kind of suckered them into getting Elliott instead of Shattenkirk and getting rid of McClement from their side.

Johnson
Siemens

for

Stewart
Elliott
Rattie

That is pretty fair IMO at that time, maybe not now with EJ playing like a beast.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It almost seems like the trade boils down to Shatty vs. EJ and everything else is a wash. If Duncan becomes a solid NHLr I'm fine with it. Otherwise, hind-sight being what it is, I'm very meh about the whole thing.

Shatty and EJ play such different games it's hard to compare who is the better dman. Is it more important to have an offensive force or a shutdown force? Well, the answer depends on the makeup of the rest of your D. They are both good and quality players. EJ is more of two-way dman but I think his offensive side is kinda shallow. I think Shatty would have absolutely thrived under Roy's systems though. He would be incredible here. I'm not sure that Hejda-Johnson is clearly better than Hejda-Shattenkirk. EJ is better shutting down the opposing teams but having Shatty on the PP and maintaining possession is huge in keeping an offensive flow going.

The problem now is that we have an aging Hejda and there is no clear replacement in the system for him. Even if Duncan becomes the next Hejda, he's not going to be leading the Dmen in points and Johnson's lack of offensive output is hurting the team...even though he's doing very well at defending. I'm not sure I like the prospects of Elliot-Johnson or Barrie-Johnson in the near future. It will absolutely rob the second pairing of talent. We have always been deficient in top pairing talent and continue to be so. Given that and Hejda's age I think I'd rather have kept Shatty and found a way to trade for a more defensive minded dman but it's all hind-sight at this point.

I don't think there will ever be a clear winner or loser to this trade unless one of these two teams win a SC in the next two years. I'd almost call for a mulligan at this point if I could just because I'd like to see Shatty's game under Roy.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Am I really alone in not being overwhelmed by EJ's game?

I keep seeing folks calling him a beast. He's been very good but not otherworldly. I simply don't remember too many games where he's been the difference maker.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've never missed Stewart's play-whenever-I-feel-like-it style. For me it's pretty much shatty for ej. Shatty will provide more offense, but we desperately needed a defensive rock like ej on the top pairing. I think Barrie will replace shatty quite well. Ej would be mighty tough to replace. I liked the trade when made. I like it now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know about EJ's play leading directly to winning but he impacts the game other ways. There have been several games where he was either beasting everyone or started dangling everyone that made you say wow.

EJ is the right player for this team. We need defense from our defense. He can continue to find confidence in his offensive game and hopefully Barrie and someone else can chip in offensively.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I liked it at the time, thought it was a worthwhile gamble.

Since then I've wavered back and forth. Would I prefer Shattenkirk and Stewart over EJ on this season's team? No. Do I think the Avs perform better the past two season with the aforementioned St. Louis Blues players? Yes.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Am I really alone in not being overwhelmed by EJ's game?

I keep seeing folks calling him a beast. He's been very good but not otherworldly. I simply don't remember too many games where he's been the difference maker.
In the prior two years, they've been few and far between. This season, there have been several games where he's been a difference maker, for sure. The last few weeks he hasn't been as strong, and I wonder if that has something to do with the back injury he got in the Blackhawks game, so I'm hoping the two week break does him well.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've never missed Stewart's play-whenever-I-feel-like-it style. For me it's pretty much shatty for ej. Shatty will provide more offense, but we desperately needed a defensive rock like ej on the top pairing. I think Barrie will replace shatty quite well. Ej would be mighty tough to replace. I liked the trade when made. I like it now.

I sorta agree with you, but I wonder if Hejda would have been able to get the job done with Shatty under a competent coach. For me it comes down to Hejda...I really hope he can play at his current level for four more years. EJ is what he is...I don't expect more or less from him over the next many years. Hejda though...if he goes down it's a huge deal. I almost feel like he's more important than any other dman because he brings a steady game that nobody in our system can match. Barrie can bring offense and I don't worry so much about EJ being suspended for two games because we'll slot Barrie up there. If Hejda goes down...we're looking at Geunin, Holden or Wilson eating up 20-23 minutes of tough defensive time on ice. If we still had Shatty, I'd feel better with one of those three slotting in next to him because I think he could control and push the play better under Roy's system than EJ can. I just don't think EJ is more of an offensive engine than Barrie and I don't think he's the key defensive player on that pairing either...I do believe Hejda is very under-rated in this regard.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why is it assumed Roy is going to give Barrie top pairing minutes? It will probably be Guenin or Sarich, it was Guenin who got the call when Hejda was out. Barrie might be out of the doghouse but I'd be pretty surprised if he moves up to EJs spot.

member 116861

Why is it assumed Roy is going to give Barrie top pairing minutes? It will probably be Guenin or Sarich, it was Guenin who got the call when Hejda was out. Barrie might be out of the doghouse but I'd be pretty surprised if he moves up to EJs spot.

Because he is the only one who can replace EJ's puck moving ability. A pairing of Hejda-Guenin/Sarich would not be able to move the puck.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd like to see Hejda-Barrie but I don't think Roy is ready to go there. I hear what you are saying, who else is going to move the puck. Benoit maybe then. I guess will be interesting to find out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Probably shouldn't be assumed. That was just me being guilty of stating what I thought should happen. I'd personally go with:

Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Guenin
Benoit-Holden

Or call up Hunwick, Elliott or Siemens (if healthy) or Clark (hello old friend) to slot in few a few games. Would be nice to see Elliott or Siemens get a game or two if possible. Hunwick wouldn't be terrible...he was always serviceable when used properly (which wasn't very often) and hell...Clark could probably be the new Zannon...minus the facial hair.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Loved the trade then, love it now. Shattenkirk isn't a top pairing d-man, doesn't have the size or defensive ability. I still miss him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad