Looking back at Vegas Expansion Draft Trades

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
With the upcoming Seattle expansion draft, I'm curious to look back at the 10 pre-expansion draft deals that Vegas made. We know that most of these trades backfired spectacularly on the teams that made them - did any of these deals work out well for teams besides Vegas? Who were the players that these teams were trying to protect Vegas from selecting?

Below is a list of the deals that were made, copied from Wikipedia:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Minnesota was supposedly protecting Scandella. Anaheim was protecting Vatanen and Manson. Who was Florida protecting that they gave up JAM and Reilly? The Islanders? 1st, 2nd +. Also wonder who Buffalo was protecting. Took a while but I like Will Carrier’s role in Vegas.

Reactions: Aeroforce

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
With the upcoming Seattle expansion draft, I'm curious to look back at the 10 pre-expansion draft deals that Vegas made. We know that most of these trades backfired spectacularly on the teams that made them - did any of these deals work out well for teams besides Vegas? Who were the players that these teams were trying to protect Vegas from selecting?

Below is a list of the deals that were made, copied from Wikipedia:
Nice post HBK. Safe to say most of these deals ended badly, or irrelevant for Vegas Trading partners. Very few worked out as wins.

Reactions: HBK27

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Minnesota was supposedly protecting Scandella. Anaheim was protecting Vatanen and Manson. Who was Florida protecting that they gave up JAM and Reilly? The Islanders? 1st, 2nd +. Also wonder who Buffalo was protecting. Took a while but I like Will Carrier’s role in Vegas.

If I remember correctly, FLA was looking to get out of Smith's contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

For the Isles, Pullock needed to be protected....they had vet. He was , like Carrier of buffalo, had a late birthday in 3013 draft making their last ELC not exempt them because their full AHL season starting at 19 but turning 20 before Jan 1...contract slid but this still counted as a pro season for ED.

with buffalo...the vegas GM who was with washington owed buffalo a favor when they made a deadline deal and Kesha didn’t report.

the deal..right after trading Miller to St Louis and getting back Halak...they sent him and high 3rd to washington for neuvirthand klesla.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Minnesota was protecting their entire roster, which could have included any of Dumba, Scandella, Brodin, Coyle, Nino, Staal, Zucker. It wasn't exclusively for Scandella.

Reactions: Bazeek

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Also apart of the Tampa deal was that they wouldn't select either Koekkoek or Dotchin who needed protection. Garrison was done as a player, we needed the cap space and Gusev didn't want to play in the AHL first. I think that deal turned out fine for us and we would gladly do it again even if Dotchin and Koekkoek fizzled out here.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Florida, yuk.

Florida ownership directed the GM to dump salary. It was never really a hockey driven decision.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Wow Anaheim wants a redo

Yeah, Theo was my favorite prospect back then and I'm still pissed that Murray screwed up that one. He could've asked Bieksa to waive, which would've opened up a spot for Manson or Vatanen and then traded one of them. Getting lesser value would've still been better than losing Theo for nothing.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Nice post HBK. Safe to say most of these deals ended badly, or irrelevant for Vegas Trading partners. Very few worked out as wins.
Vegas went on to select Nick Suzuki with the Jets deal. Which of course lead to Pacciorety. Ironicly both players are playing huge roles on their respective teams in the semi-final. As well as the fact Suzuki dominated the Jets to help get his team there. All so the Jets could protect Toby Enstrom

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota was protecting their entire roster, which could have included any of Dumba, Scandella, Brodin, Coyle, Nino, Staal, Zucker. It wasn't exclusively for Scandella.
And Vegas reportedly had their choice of Tuch, Greenway or Kaprizov. They chose the one that seemed closest to the NHL, at a point where just about no one was raving about Tuch's performance in the AHL. Well done by the Golden Knights, but Minnesota clearly had the prospect depth to make that kind of deal at the time since every one of those players has turned into a good-to-great NHLer.

I'm not the biggest fan of the ensuing trades with Buffalo, but keeping Scandella (on top of Brodin/Dumba) did directly lead to moving Pominville and bringing in Foligno, who has also turned into an important part of the current team. And Haula was very good initially, but has since kind of tapered off for a variety of reasons.

Which isn't to argue that Minnesota "won" or anything, but the mythologizing of that agreement usually ignores like 90% of the context and actual outcome.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Looking at the stats Tuch was the second leading scorer on Minnesota's AHL team in his first year in pro hockey. He was picked 18th overall in his draft.

It would be interesting to hear recordings of the Wild's coaches and GM to hear what they thought about him at the time.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Defend these trades any way you want but none of the GM's who made the following trades with Vegas should still be employed.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Jesus

Mcphee robbed Columbus on that one

edit wow the Anaheim trade

Bad trade happen to everyone, its not lile they were elite, but damn

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo protected Ullmark

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Buffalo protected Ullmark

Seems like the best deal so far, giving up a 6th & a 4th liner (who in all fairness is still playing on a stacked Vegas team) in order to protect a goalie that would go on to be their starter.

Carolina was the other team to make a minor deal (mid-round pick) - looking at the roster it appears that they may have been trying to protect Cam Ward, who was still their starter at that point, but 33 years old and only had one year left on his deal. They had also acquired Scott Darling by that point to take over in net. Not sure who else they would look to protect and the low cost would make sense.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Florida ownership directed the GM to dump salary. It was never really a hockey driven decision.

That played a big part, but if i recall Tallon also talked about how good dmen were hard to get and they wanted to keep Pysyk and Petrovic. Both were protected.

To be fair, Pysyk had his first full season in 16-17 and played well. Smith had a tough year and Marchessault could've been a one-hit wonder. So if you have to shed salary and get to keep a dman you like, i guess it made some sense.

Obviously didn't work out as Pysyk is still just a depth guy, Petrovic is not in the league and both of the forwards have been good for Vegas.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Please please please take Marc Andre Fluery. Please! I will even throw in a 2nd!

Vegas acquiring a franchise goalie.

To be fair, Matt Murray f***ed the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad