Looking back at the 2012 draft

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, given that I specifically said that my question was how would it affect THIS year's team...not anytime in the future. I didn't mention the future on purpose so that this kind of response wouldn't be a problem.

To clarify, Maatta is playing an important role in Pittsburgh's defense. My question basically was how much more of an impact would a this guy make playing in the top-4, as opposed to Wilson playing 6 minutes. Again, said nothing about how they pan out in the future. Wilson may well become a justified better choice.

Don't worry, we've got a few posters who are oversensitive to any new threads popping up.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Caps needed D and centers. Drafted 2 wingers with Maata and Hertl on the board.

I'm pretty sure you draft the BPA and not by position.

Most liked the picks we made including me. Obviously the Forsberg situation makes it look bad but I LOVE Tom Wilson. Oates is simply not putting him in a position to succeed.

If people knew Maata was this good he would have easily went top 10. Hindsight is 20/20. Neither of our picks were drastic reaches. Forsberg dropped a bit and we took Wilson a bit higher. Either way those were strong picks.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ

Most liked the picks we made including me. Obviously the Forsberg situation makes it look bad but I LOVE Tom Wilson. Oates is simply not putting him in a position to succeed.

If people knew Maata was this good he would have easily went top 10. Hindsight is 20/20. Neither of our picks were drastic reaches. Forsberg dropped a bit and we took Wilson a bit higher. Either way those were strong picks.

obviously you're right. My post was kind of in jest, but I do wish we had taken Hertl over Wilson. He was doing very well with San Jose prior to his injury, but maybe that's just a product of who he was playing with. Additionally with the trading of Forsberg, maybe it makes more sense to take Wilson. I understand the desire for a hard-nosed physical guy who has an offensive game, but I feel like you can find those guys AFTER they've been drafted and in the league, rather than at the draft.

Maata is just kind of lucky for Pittsburgh, and who knows where he'll end up.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
obviously you're right. My post was kind of in jest, but I do wish we had taken Hertl over Wilson. He was doing very well with San Jose prior to his injury, but maybe that's just a product of who he was playing with. Additionally with the trading of Forsberg, maybe it makes more sense to take Wilson. I understand the desire for a hard-nosed physical guy who has an offensive game, but I feel like you can find those guys AFTER they've been drafted and in the league, rather than at the draft.

Maata is just kind of lucky for Pittsburgh, and who knows where he'll end up.

Lets not rush to judge one year in. Both Hertl and Maata are stepping in better situations and getting a chance to show what they got.

Power forwards take a long time to develop and are very rare. Guys like Tkatchuk, Lucic, Doan are highly prized. Tom Wilson is one rambuncious player with good defensive awareness, skating and hands. He has all the tools.

It's rare that a team trades guys like Wilson AFTER they've been drafted and developed. I guess you can point to Dallas after they drafted Iginla but they got a HOF with tank in the gas in return that helped them win a cup. Maybe Cam Neely too but the Canucks got a guy who put up 130pts the year before. Both Iginla and Neely were traded prior to establishing themselves at the NHL level and I bet the teams who traded them do regret it on some level..even Dallas who won a cup (kinda like the Rangers trading Amonte for Noonan and Matteau...Neil Smith really regretted that trade even tho those two helped them win a cup that year - Keenan wanted it)

Liberati0n*

Even if Wilson never develops much offensively, you never, ever trade the guy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Agreed with the BPA portion.

A lot of people felt the Wilson pick was a reach at 16. I believe my words were something along the lines of "like the player, but 16 seems early." He was a 2nd rounder on many people's boards. And if you did a redraft today, he would certainly slip at least a few spots downwards.

e; Dug up the thread, and linked to the page of instant reactions after he was drafted. My post is #821. General reaction is split, with a slightly negative trend.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1213463&highlight=wilson&page=33

It's also funny to see the 180 some people have done on him.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Right to the Flyers!

He does have an impressive line brawl count on his resume vs them. Maybe even some sort of record, to rival one Randy Holt, who like Wilson, refused to back down from the Broad Street Punks.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wilson's stock was rising and with good reason. I believe from mid term to final he moved up from 33 to 15 for NA Skaters. He did nothing but improve his value his last year in the Plymouth too.

He has all the tools to be a rare power forward and those are few and far between. That alone increases his value in my book.

He has looked good in limited minutes with unskilled linemates.

The kid is ranked 29th in hits among all NHL forwards (3rd among all rooks). Think about that...he plays 7 minutes a game. 133 PIMS and has about a dozen fights.

I think it still remains an excellent pick. The ceiling is high just because of the type of player he is and the combination of skill and toughness.

Agreed with the BPA portion.

A lot of people felt the Wilson pick was a reach at 16. I believe my words were something along the lines of "like the player, but 16 seems early." He was a 2nd rounder on many people's boards. And if you did a redraft today, he would certainly slip at least a few spots downwards.

e; Dug up the thread, and linked to the page of instant reactions after he was drafted. My post is #821. General reaction is split, with a slightly negative trend.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1213463&highlight=wilson&page=33

It's also funny to see the 180 some people have done on him.

Ofcourse some people are going to change their mind on him. That was 2 years ago. Between then and now alot has happened in terms of development.

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Wilson's stock was rising and with good reason. I believe from mid term to final he moved up from 33 to 15 for NA Skaters. He did nothing but improve his value his last year in the Plymouth too.

He has all the tools to be a rare power forward and those are few and far between. That alone increases his value in my book.

He has looked good in limited minutes with unskilled linemates.

The kid is ranked 29th in hits among all NHL forwards (3rd among all rooks). Think about that...he plays 7 minutes a game. 133 PIMS and has about a dozen fights.

I think it still remains an excellent pick. The ceiling is high just because of the type of player he is and the combination of skill and toughness.

Ofcourse some people are going to change their mind on him. That was 2 years ago. Between then and now alot has happened in terms of development.

He is a power forward. I do not know that I have ever seen a power forward blossom before the age of 20, except for maybe the truly elite ones. He will not dance around anyone. He will plow through them and be tough to move when he gets to his spot. He still has a lot to learn and has room for his hands and skills to grow into his frame for sure. But he will hopefully be a fixture in the top nine for many years to come.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He is a power forward. I do not know that I have ever seen a power forward blossom before the age of 20, except for maybe the truly elite ones. He will not dance around anyone. He will plow through them and be tough to move when he gets to his spot. He still has a lot to learn and has room for his hands and skills to grow into his frame for sure. But he will hopefully be a fixture in the top nine for many years to come.

tsn had him at #18. It was rumored that the Flyers and Pens would have taken him if he was on the board after us. I for one am totally glad he's on our team and not on theirs.

He's going to be a hell of a player when he gets a real chance.

Yeah you are right. Power forwards take time and they need opportunity. Wilson hasn't had or been given either.

This is the kind of player we haven't had since pre-bad shoulders Chris Simon.

Tough and talented are hard to come by. Grab them and keep them when you have the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad