Salary Cap: Look Sharp! I've had my Phil of rumors. I'd like to Oshie a trade already. Nail it,JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Liked this part of the Gazette story.

Penguins officials spoke with representatives of several impending free agents while they were in south Florida for the NHL draft late last week. Although Rutherford declined to identify those players, Washington winger Joel Ward was one of them.

Those conversations apparently stemmed from agents reaching out to the Penguins
who, at mid-week, hadn’t intended to conduct any such discussions.

“We initially hadn’t planned to speak with anybody,†he said. “But it ended up that we got a couple of calls and did speak to a couple of guys.
â€

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we could get the Leafs to take back 2 of the following 3 (Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi) AND retain $2 million on Kessel's deal, well hell I'll drive Olli Maatta to the airport myself (may be hard since I'm in Montreal but what the hell!).

Barberio is an interesting name on the UFA list.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Would Parenteau be worth a look on a one year, extremely cheap deal like $1 million? I realize he's as blah as they come, but he's been productive with top guys. Kind of like Kunitz but without the physicality.

Not sure if he'd get more than that, though. He seems more likely to sign a 2.5/yr deal with a crap team or something.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's a "need" but if they want to get top return on a guy not many teams are in on and they need to move it's the way to do it.

They would then also have to beat what was reportedly a very solid offer in DP+Sutter/KK+ the 2016 first (and taking on Scuderi).

The long and short of it is, they ain't getting that package above plus Maatta. At this point it is obvious. How much more than the package above is a team going to give? At some point Toronto is going to be stuck with him if they keep that up. We have seen teams play this game in the past and usually they end up losing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Probably except for Boston, every team in the NHL has improved more since the end of the season than the pens to some extent. Other than luckily, acquiring two
3rd draft picks, nothing of a positive note has happened. Look at the rosters of the CAPS, NYRs, NYis, BJs and the FLYS are on the rise and tell me the pens are better.

Flyers: No major moves made.
Caps: No major moves made, and will lose players this summer.
NYR: Some minor moves made, will lose players this summer.

Not sure how you can say every single team improved. Some have, however many have stayed pat so far. FA might change things, but likely not enough to make a major difference to their rosters.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we could get the Leafs to take back 2 of the following 3 (Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi) AND retain $2 million on Kessel's deal, well hell I'll drive Olli Maatta to the airport myself (may be hard since I'm in Montreal but what the hell!).

Barberio is an interesting name on the UFA list.

If Pens could somehow get Leafs to eat Kunitz and Scuderis cap hit and get 2 mill retained, we could go after Frolik and someone on defense like Green to help our PP, or someone else. I'm still not buying the 2 mill retained, it's for 7 years...SEVEN!!!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Pens could somehow get Leafs to eat Kunitz and Scuderis cap hit and get 2 mill retained, we could go after Frolik and someone on defense like Green to help our PP, or someone else. I'm still not buying the 2 mill retained, it's for 7 years...SEVEN!!!

Exactly, hence my airport comment. :)

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com

Can you strike a deal to retain for only part of the term, i.e. 2-3 years? Just asking. Probably not, but I don't know.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It could just be Eklund reading the Tweet from earlier and making this up to appear knowledgeable. I don't see how the Pens "need" the Leafs to retain that much. They would maybe like them to, but they don't need them to.

They want more teams to be interested in him, you get a much bigger market for Kessel at 6 million then 8 million.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
They would then also have to beat what was reportedly a very solid offer in DP+Sutter/KK+ the 2016 first (and taking on Scuderi).

The long and short of it is, they ain't getting that package above plus Maatta. At this point it is obvious. How much more than the package above is a team going to give? At some point Toronto is going to be stuck with him if they keep that up. We have seen teams play this game in the past and usually they end up losing.
Toronto refused this package?I don't believe it.

penguins2946*

That wasn't the package. The package according to Rossi was Pouliot, Scuderi, Kunitz and a 2016 1st for Kessel. In the end, I'm expecting Sutter in for Scuderi and that to be the final deal if it happens.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That wasn't the package. The package according to Rossi was Pouliot, Scuderi, Kunitz and a 2016 1st for Kessel. In the end, I'm expecting Sutter in for Scuderi and that to be the final deal if it happens.

Scuderi was the dump, so it would be Sutter in addition to Scuderi in your hypothetical I would think.

penguins2946*

Scuderi was the dump, so it would be Sutter in addition to Scuderi in your hypothetical I would think.

Nah, I think we wouldn't be able to include Scuderi in that and it would just be Sutter, Kunitz, Pouliot and a 1st for Kessel.

I think it's decent.Don't know what Toronto wants.

I think it's low, but it's not too far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad