Look back at Oilers 3 first overall picks #2

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
RNH, nobody on that list is better, however, if we're going with the tried and tested, "HFBoards' Centres are Better Unless Intangibles are Involvedâ„¢" formula then I guess it's Landeskog.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH for me, the first time that I watched the kid play I could tell that he'd be a special player. The best is yet to come with RNH and he is as important to this rebuild as anyone.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
RNH without a doubt on this one. No one to compete with on these and make anyone change their mind.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
:laugh: I remember those debates about how Seguin was >>>>> Hall because he had a cup!

Yup, lol as if he, Sequin, has so much control over it.

These 3 conversations are pretty stupid (re 1st overalls) if we're being honest. Hall's an amazing Beast of a player, the Nuge is a legit #1 center and Yak will be an elite scorer, that's why they were 1st overall picks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH due to the fact that he is a center. Although Landeskog is a hell of a player. In their first years when people were hyping Landeskog because of his intangibles it was a bit silly because his actual numbers were inferior. Now that their offense is equal... Landeskogs all around game certainly makes him an attractive choice.

One could make the argument that the Oilers would have been better off with Seguin/Landeskog instead of Hall/RNH. In hindsight maybe, but I think Hall is the only elite player of the bunch so in that case I think I'd rather have him.

And this team without RNH down the middle is... really scary. So Landeskog really wasn't an option once Hall was picked.

All of this of course is in hindsight. At the time of all 3 picks the Oilers made the best pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH due to the fact that he is a center. Although Landeskog is a hell of a player. In their first years when people were hyping Landeskog because of his intangibles it was a bit silly because his actual numbers were inferior. Now that their offense is equal... Landeskogs all around game certainly makes him an attractive choice.

One could make the argument that the Oilers would have been better off with Seguin/Landeskog instead of Hall/RNH. In hindsight maybe, but I think Hall is the only elite player of the bunch so in that case I think I'd rather have him.

And this team without RNH down the middle is... really scary. So Landeskog really wasn't an option once Hall was picked.

All of this of course is in hindsight. At the time of all 3 picks the Oilers made the best pick.

I'm not convinced that Landeskog's offense will keep at this level, however I am convinced that RNH's will get better. Colorado is also the higher scoring team at the moment having 132GF in 45 games (2.93 Goals/game) compared to 123GF in 47 games (2.62 Goals/game) for the Oilers. Also Landeskog to my knowledge didn't miss preseason and wasn't rehabbing from surgery this offseason.

I would take Hall and RNH over Landeskog and Hall and RNH over Seguin and Landeskog.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
you could even extend this poll back earlier, particularly for the 2009 pick of Paajarvi.

We probably should have drafted D with that pick. Leddy, Ellis, Rundblad, DeHaan would have been easy picks to make.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Imagine how good RNH will be when he's 25. Considering his IQ, with more strength + experience, I honestly believe he will be one of the West's best offensive centres.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
When they picked Hall instead of Seguin, it became clear that they had to pick a center the next year, and the Nuge was the best one available.

Given those two picks over again, I'd rather have Seguin-Landeskog than Hall-RNH, though.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Voted RNH, but looking at that list there is a strong possibility that nobody from the top 10 really breaks out and this year was viewed as a weak draft in the future.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
RNH simply because other than Landeskog the rest of the list doesn't really stack up.

...but we sure picked the wrong years to tank.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lack of a #1 center has haunted this team since Weight left (although lazy Lowe thought he had one with Horc). We absolutely needed to take Nuge.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
whoever voted shaw is my new "favourite person in the history of mankind"

You can click on the numbers in the poll to see who voted for who. Not sure if you knew, but a heads up just in case.

So...you're secretly trying to say Sam Gagner is your favorite player of all-time. Am I rights???

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That's a dubious statement. Is there anything at all to back that up?

Landeskog has never stood out to me to be an extremely skilled individual in the games that I've watched him over the years. I don't see him as a point/game guy going forward and I think that he might not even keep this type of a pace for some of his prime. I guess he's on pace for 65 points so maybe my comment was a bit unfair, but I don't see him flirting with a ppg much in his career.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Voted RNH, but looking at that list there is a strong possibility that nobody from the top 10 really breaks out and this year was viewed as a weak draft in the future.

I thought it was a strong draft...

RNH as the clear no 1 with, dare I say, 100 pt potential in the future.

Landeskog, already captain and a damn good player. The PPG is not really that relevant, there are many players never reach PPG but are still excellent.

Brodin has great potential and is already a good no 2 playing 25 min/game. Seeing as his mentor isn't half bad my guess is he will only continue to develop.

Zibanejad is really starting to take off in Ottawa, he has some way to go yet but, when he is on his game, he is looking really good out there.

Adam Larsson, he has not lived up to the hype yet. I would say that the jury is still out since he is a young defenseman but I know many are already writing him off and if you do I cannot really point to very much except young age to prove otherwise.

As a Swede I am quite excited over this group which I believe may very well make up a significant piece of our 2018 Olympic roster.

These are the ones I have seen to most of and there is only one, Adam Larsson, who is not really doing good at the moment. I believe that the others are coming along very good and I would be thrilled to have anyone of them on the Oilers.

I cannot really make more than educated guesses about the rest but my impression is that they are not doing that bad (?).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Landeskog has never stood out to me to be an extremely skilled individual in the games that I've watched him over the years. I don't see him as a point/game guy going forward and I think that he might not even keep this type of a pace for some of his prime. I guess he's on pace for 65 points so maybe my comment was a bit unfair, but I don't see him flirting with a ppg much in his career.

There aren't many consistent point/game players in this league. Landeskog likely wont be one, but I don't see anything out of RNH to suggest he will be either. Too much of his offense relies on others to be going and/or the PP. He's not dynamic enough on his own to get there. Much like Landeskog I think if you put him with the right players in the right situation he could get 80~ points in a year. But not on a consistent basis.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I agree with you Bryan. I see him as a slightly better Brown. 55-65 points and good all around game, but never one to hit 80

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really liked Landeskog his whole draft year, but I don't think he has the elite offensive potential that RNH has so I still take Landeskog. I see a Dustin Brown type player in Landeskog, where as I see RNH as more of a Sedin type player. Nothing against the Brown type player and we really need one, but a guy that can get close to 100 points will get you further.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad