Longest Goal Droughts in terms of TIME (not GP)?

Aug 3, 2010
Cool trivia in the thread so far but it would be more interesting if the player in question played consecutively throughout the drought in the NHL as opposed to hiatus, injury, retirement, or playing in other leagues.

I liked the Brodeur one even though it's almost too obvious that it was a goalie record.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The Lemieux record makes me think of the great player who came back after retirement: Lafleur.
What is his count?

And, of course there's the WHA counts, Bobby Hull comes to mind. Did he score in his return to the NHL?

Other records would be players who have returned from long term injury and holdouts: Pavel Bure who was probably both; Jimmy Carson was at least a year. Igor Larionov played a season in Switzerland after the Canucks only to sign with the Sharks when he came back. There's not any scoring forwards like Sean Burke who became a free agent in his long term holdout.

There's also cases of players who became career minor leaguers, especially defensemen, who were called up early in their careers and came back to the NHL after almost a decade and being forgotten.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Not the longest but Scott Gomez had a 369 days goal scoring drought.

Considering he was a #2C at the time still, it was quite the drought. There was also a website made to track the progress, didscottgomezscore
That was hilarious

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Ville Leino scored zero goals 1 entire season and then left the league altogether. The season prior, he played a mere 8 games in March and had 2 goals in one game which also was his last game that season. So the last time he scored an NHL goal was 3/30/13 against the Capitals.

While not exactly what the thread was referring too, it’s truly a baffling stat.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not the longest but Scott Gomez had a 369 days goal scoring drought.

Considering he was a #2C at the time still, it was quite the drought. There was also a website made to track the progress, didscottgomezscore

Yep, it's a wonder he scored over 30 goals in a season. His shot was an absolute muffin.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Ville Leino scored zero goals 1 entire season and then left the league altogether. The season prior, he played a mere 8 games in March and had 2 goals in one game which also was his last game that season. So the last time he scored an NHL goal was 3/30/13 against the Capitals.

While not exactly what the thread was referring too, it’s truly a baffling stat.
That guy had such a weird career in the NHL. He had that one good year (10-11, not even the year they went to the Final) with the Flyers and that's really it. Despite that, he has a few NHL playoff records:

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Does anyone know who had the longest goal drought in terms of days passed between goals,

111953-01-11CBH@BOS216:57EVGoal by Fred Hucul, assisted by Bill Mosienko and Cal Gardner
21967-10-18STLPHI205:58PPGoal by Fred Hucul, assisted by Gerry Melnyk and Ron Stewart

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I feel like Daneyko has to be in there somewhere unless we're counting that one time he scored in the playoffs

I wish I could find video of it, but I'm always reminded when Daneyko scored a rare beautiful goal only to have it not count.

Daneyko managed a rueful smile when asked about a goal he scored that was disallowed. It came on a strange sequence that proved ominous.

It began at 8:40 of the first period, when Thomas fired a slap shot that beat goalie Guy Hebert on the glove side. After the twine billowed and the puck ended up behind the net, it seemed as if the puck must have hit the side of the net.

Play continued for more than a minute, with the Devils scoring at 9:59. Daneyko put the puck over the line with a backhanded shot that was partially stopped but not controlled by the goalie.

The play was a thing of beauty, a skating and passing weave fashioned by Esa Tikkanen and Stephane Richer. But after the goal stopped the clock, the video-review judge looked at the tape of Thomas's shot and decided it had gone in.

That meant that the clock was rolled back and the Daneyko goal nullified. It would have been his second of the season and the 30th of a National Hockey League career that began in 1983-84.

"Story of my life," Daneyko said of the unfortunate ruling.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone like Orpik in the realm of what is being asked for the active player component?

3 goals in the 15-16 season. 0 goals in the 15-16 playoffs.
0 goals in next two seasons. 0 goals in 16-17 playoffs.
1 goal in 17-18 playoffs.

No idea how many actual days in between goals scored, but he was fully active during that time.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I thought this was a Connor Brown thread

As mentioned in the first post of the thread, yes.

Unrelated - I still can't believe that Tyler Wright played 61 NHL games as a forward and went pointless (no goals or asssists) - 74 games if you count the playoffs.

Then broke 20 points/season each of the next four.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Rich Pilon comes to mind. I remember when he joined the Rangers in 00-01, he scored a goal and they made a huge deal about it. Just looking quickly, his last one before that was in 96-97.

EDIT: hit drought lasted from 2/23/1997 until 1/24/2001, almost 4 entire years. Lo and behold, he then scored again a week later on 1/31/2001.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ilya Lyubushkin made his NHL debut on October 6, 2018.

He remained in the NHL from that point forward, tho between that date and April 14, 2022 he scored one goal.

So in a span of 1, 286 days he scored one goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad