News Article: LONG READ - Jaromir Jagr has no regrets on Penguins past, and no plans to retire

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's going to pass Messier for second all-time in points. I mention where he is on the list every once in awhile because I don't think some people realize it. If he was Canadian he would be talked about constantly and put right up there underneath Gretz with the rest of that handful of players.

He's pretty much got it all going for him to be a no contest top 5 player of all time other than he's a dirty foreigner.

I think it is really weird that the two best players in our franchise are complete opposites. Jagr has just being padding his numbers because of longevity, but he has a lull in those Capital years and then when he split to go to the KHL which really "damages" his legacy. On the other hand, you have Lemieux who is the ultimate case of what if? Every season he played he tore it up and outside of his last two put up way above a PPG.

I feel like if you are comparing forwards Jagr is probably a top ten player, but if you add in defense and goalies, no way is he a no contest top 5 player. You could argue it, but Messier was the number two point guy for a long time and I don't think anyone would put him in the top five. Jagr also doesn't have a great trophy case versus some of those forwards that are in the top five. I'd argue by the end of Crosby's career, he might have a more impressive trophy case.

Also, I don't think his number should ever be retired. I think Crosby is the only player that currently or has played for the Penguins that will get his number retired. Maybe Malkin depending on if he bolts to the KHL, but if they won't retire Francis I see that very comparable to why they won't retire Malkin.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Since he's been a Panther, any resentment I felt is gone. I just accept him as a legend of the game and am appreciative that he built that status in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad