News Article: LONG READ - Jaromir Jagr has no regrets on Penguins past, and no plans to retire

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/penguins/50/jagr/

Great long read. These are just a few snippets of Jagr talking about his Penguins days.

The guy is a Penguin and NHL legend. A true beast. Unstoppable. If he had not gone to Russia he would have had 2100 points and 850 goals by now. And then missing 2.5 seasons because of lockouts....and playing in the dead puck era mostly in his prime..... RESPECT! Its time for Pittsburgh to SALUTE #68 - he belongs in the rafters!

----

In a Post-Gazette story from Dec. 13, 2000, Lemieux confirmed that Jagr had made a pair of trade requests. Jagr was frustrated with his poor start and believed new surroundings could help him.

“I wasn't happy with the way I was playing, and I thought that maybe the change would help me," Jagr said back then. "I wanted to get back where I was [in previous seasons]." Lemieux, of course, denied both requests, saying, “There's only one Jagr in the world, and you don't trade the best player in the world."

Asked last week about his trade requests and desire to leave Pittsburgh, Jagr seemed to take issue with the idea that he wanted out.

“People believe whatever they want to believe. They never been there,” Jagr said. “They never been involved in it. It was only me and Craig Patrick that was there in that room.

“I know the truth, Craig knows the truth and God knows the truth. That’s all that matters.”

Jagr declined to elaborate on what was actually said in that room with Patrick, but he did say he thought it made sense for the Penguins to have traded him.

Coming off a postseason where he scored just twice in 16 games, Jagr said he thought it was more important for the Penguins to try and retain their second line of Alex Kovalev, Martin Straka and Robert Lang.

“I felt like we needed those three guys to be competitive and get into the Final,” Jagr said. “They were more important than me. I didn’t have a great playoffs. Mario just came back. We didn’t have to have a face of the franchise because Mario was a lot better than me. There was no reason to keep me.”

Yet if Jagr is worrying about his place in franchise history, or whether his No. 68 will one day hang from the rafters at PPG Paints Arena, he isn’t letting on.

“It’s not up to me,” Jagr said. “Twenty or 30 years from now, if someone comes to the arena and knows that Jaromir Jagr played here, it would be nice. But it’s not in my hands.”

Jagr is equally unconcerned with the boos he receives here, something that has diminished over time but still happens with a group that believes he quit on the Penguins.

“If I would get booed from the fans because I didn’t try hard or I was a bad player, I would care. Because I didn’t try hard enough and I’d feel guilty,” Jagr said. “But somebody booing me because they heard something? And they don’t know the truth?

“When I played in Pittsburgh, I gave my best. Everybody who played with me knew. I practiced harder than anybody else. I was on the ice all the time. I love the game and wanted to be the best I could be every night. So if they’re booing me for that, I’m fine with that because I know I don’t deserve it.”

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Maybe when he turns 53 and breaks Gordie Howe's age record, maybe then we will bring him back.

As long as he has no plans to retire, I will continue to hope he wears the skating Penguin again.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not a Jagr hater, I just don't care about Jagr. The guy has been in it for the money and it was even discussed today by Jay that he had to continue chasing the money because he had tax issues and his gambling debts. So he went home to make even more money and it sounds like he righted the ship from all we know.

Some players have an emotional tie to the city they play in. Jagr doesn't. That's 100% fine. He shouldn't be expected to. But much like he doesn't care about Pittsburgh, I honestly don't care either way about him. His longevity in the sport of hockey, in this era, is jaw dropping and he deserves props for it. He keeps himself in some amazing shape to do so. Kudos to #68.

I just think ultimately the Jagr/Pittsburgh connection needs to be separated. Both sides just agreeing to not care. No hate or dislike. Just move on and never look back.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Au contraire, NEVER forget. He was one of the greats of all time for this franchise. His banner needs to be in the arena...eventually.

In the meantime, Malkin needs a RW...

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I can't believe he is still playing! He was on our team 4 Stanley Cups ago ... it will be a sad day when he'll retire (if ever ...).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Au contraire, NEVER forget. He was one of the greats of all time for this franchise. His banner needs to be in the arena...eventually.

Malkin already has a RWer, his name is Phil Kessel.

I'm kinda in the middle of your position and Cole's position. I don't really care about Jagr, but I'd love for him to give it a go 1 last time with the Penguins and retire with the Penguins. He should be honored here IMO, but I wouldn't be broken up if he wasn't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Jagr couldn't keep up with this team.

In addition, he's been pretty trash in every playoff he's been in since he came back to the league.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
"The last time I played for Pittsburgh was 2000, so it's 16 years," he said. "That's a long time ago. Those fans that were coming to the arena when I was playing for Pittsburgh, they're not coming anymore. They're probably dead or not interested anymore. They probably have new fans. It's a different team, so I would say the fans, probably half of the fans right now, they don't even know I played here."

:lol:

Some, sure, but c'mon man. I don't remember much, as I was 9-10 at the time, but I remember when he started as a rookie.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
The guy has been in it for the money and it was even discussed today by Jay that he had to continue chasing the money because he had tax issues and his gambling debts.

If you question Jagrs love for the game of hockey, you must have been ignoring Jagr the years 2011-2016.

A few samples:

Jagr on his facebook site in Czech native language:

It's 11:15pm. Most people are asleep and I'm just finishing my last exercise with my 30lb vest in the gym. I sit on the bench to have some rest. I look at myself in the mirror. After a while, I ask myself a question: 'Is it really still worth it?' Unfortunately, I don't think I can answer this question. I really can't. I keep thinking: 'You are alone, no family, you work like a horse, there is no one waiting for you at home....' This doesn't sound too great, I think. But then another question pops up: 'Then why do you keep doing it?' I know the answer to this question without hesitation. 'Because I love it.'"

Jagr seemed surprised when asked what motivates him to keep playing.

"You want to do things that make you happy, you don't need the motivation to do it," he said. "There's millions of people who'd be happy to do what I do for one day. There's millions of people who have to go to their regular job and after their job at 12 o'clock at night, they go to play hockey, and have to pay for the ice. Do they have motivation? No, they love it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jaromir-jagr-tries-to-pass-gordie-howe/c-279329084
---
It’s just that this is something he thinks about at age 43. And after going through all the reasons he’s still playing—his love of the game, how he doesn’t want to start another career, how it’s more fun than your usual 9-to-5—Jagr reaches what he explains is the “most important thing.”

“The time between when I quit hockey and I die,” he says, looking at the gap between his hands, which is now only a couple inches wide, “I want it to be the shortest.”

Jagr continues: "If I can play till I die, that's what I will do.
"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-enduring-jaromir-jagr-an-oral-history/
---
He's made more than $50 million, so the question begs: What drives this two-time Stanley Cup champion and nine-time All-Star forward to continue to play a sport with players young enough to be his sons?

"I've never been motivated by trophies or whoever won,'' Jagr said before training camp began last week. "I do this sport because I love it. When you look around there's people, they don't make a living by playing hockey, they have a regular job and they still go play 15 against 15 at midnight just to be there, paying for the ice, so they have to love it, too.

"I know I'm going to be one of those guys. Why not do it right now?'

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...nthers-jaromir-jagr-0920-20150920-story.html#

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'm not a Jagr hater, I just don't care about Jagr. The guy has been in it for the money and it was even discussed today by Jay that he had to continue chasing the money because he had tax issues and his gambling debts. So he went home to make even more money and it sounds like he righted the ship from all we know.

Some players have an emotional tie to the city they play in. Jagr doesn't. That's 100% fine. He shouldn't be expected to. But much like he doesn't care about Pittsburgh, I honestly don't care either way about him. His longevity in the sport of hockey, in this era, is jaw dropping and he deserves props for it. He keeps himself in some amazing shape to do so. Kudos to #68.

I just think ultimately the Jagr/Pittsburgh connection needs to be separated. Both sides just agreeing to not care. No hate or dislike. Just move on and never look back.
Easier said than done to move on from the Pittsburgh Jagr connection. His pens career is what defines his hall of fame legacy. All five of his art rosses won in Pittsburgh, both of his Stanley cups, his only Hart, and six of his seven first team all stars. It might not happen for a while, but eventually his number will be in the rafters. Eventually the emotional block will be gone from fans, and the decision might even come from people that didn't see him play here. But when you look at the stats and hardware, you realize he was one of best players of all time and he spent his prime with the penguins.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Easier said than done to move on from the Pittsburgh Jagr connection. His pens career is what defines his hall of fame legacy. All five of his art rosses won in Pittsburgh, both of his Stanley cups, his only Hart, and six of his seven first team all stars. It might not happen for a while, but eventually his number will be in the rafters. Eventually the emotional block will be gone from fans, and the decision might even come from people that didn't see him play here. But when you look at the stats and hardware, you realize he was one of best players of all time and he spent his prime with the penguins.

Yeah, I'd say it probably happens because he didn't spend enough time with any other team.

Who's going to honor him when he finally retires? He was garbage with the Caps. Spent a few years with the Rangers. And has skipped around since then.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Jagr couldn't keep up with this team.

In addition, he's been pretty trash in every playoff he's been in since he came back to the league.

He was snake bitten in Boston but other than that he was decent.

In Philly he was average, still a productive player.

For islanders, yes he was trash

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He was snake bitten in Boston but other than that he was decent.

In Philly he was average, still a productive player.

For islanders, yes he was trash

He's scored one goal in 39 playoff games since coming back to the NHL.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If you question Jagrs love for the game of hockey, you must have been ignoring Jagr the years 2011-2016.

A few samples:

---

---

Jagr is a flawed man, still a bit of a prima donna. But you don't play this long without having a passion for the game. Loving the game and loving the money ain't mutually exclusive.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's scored one goal in 39 playoff games since coming back to the NHL.

I recall him hitting quite a few posts during the Boston playoffs, with Philly I didn't watch him that year, but he was still producing. The islanders round is were he was a liability.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

That's basically where I'm at with it. I don't have any feelings towards Jagr. Would it be fun to see him back in Pittsburgh (especially with the newly grown mullet and us going back to old unis)? Absolutely. I won't hold my breath while sitting there waiting for it to happen. Jagr is Jagr. When I came to grips with that, I enjoyed him a lot more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I recall him hitting quite a few posts during the Boston playoffs, with Philly I didn't watch him that year, but he was still producing. The islanders round is were he was a liability.

He's still good enough to put up points in the regular season, but if a team wants to win a Cup, he's not a primary scoring threat when things ramp up in the postseason.

I have no interest in bringing him back.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's still good enough to put up points in the regular season, but if a team wants to win a Cup, he's not a primary scoring threat when things ramp up in the postseason.

I have no interest in bringing him back.

Correct, also not sure if he really wants to go back either. What he values the most is line minutes, were would he be if he was in Pittsburgh?

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
He never questioned Jagr's love for the game, he suggested that when it comes to choosing where to play, he's in it for the money.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He never questioned Jagr's love for the game, he suggested that when it comes to choosing where to play, he's in it for the money.

I wouldn't say thats necessarily true though, what he seems to desire most is line minutes. In NJD he was demoted to the second line and proceeded to give half assed efforts throughout the entirety of the season until he was traded to Florida.

I mean, look at the teams he has picked throughout the years. All of them excluding boston were average teams that were lacking an adequate top line RW.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It is odd to me that at 44yrs old, Jagr has no kid, like not even with one of the hotties he's deked with. I mean it's cool to live that bachelor life, but up to a point. Even the biggest "players" in all of sports, eventually settle down.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't say thats necessarily true though, what he seems to desire most is line minutes. In NJD he was demoted to the second line and proceeded to give half assed efforts throughout the entirety of the season until he was traded to Florida.

I mean, look at the teams he has picked throughout the years. All of them excluding boston were average teams that were lacking an adequate top line RW.

And here we are with our riches of Hornqvist and Fehr.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't care, he hasn't been that guy for us for a long time.

He didn't single handily help win those cups, and do you see a Francis or other players have their numbers retired here?

No. Had Jagr stayed, got them a cup on his back as serving captain, or at least a finals appearance then, yes.

He deserves to be propped like the rest, he only spent a decade here, won a couple cups his first two seasons, made a great go of it after Mario left, but it took Mario coming back to carry the ship to give them any real chance at a cup and Jagr's final Art Ross's.

He didn't even make it to 500 goals here.

He moved on, and so did we.....

This is what I get out of Jags.
Mario: You did everything to make this private war happen. You've done enough damage. This mission is over, Jagr. Do you understand me? This mission is over! Look at them out there! Look at them! If you won't end this now, they will Boo you off the ice. Is that what you want? It's over Jagr. It's over!

Jagr: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to Pittsburgh and I see all those turtles at the airport, people protesting me, spitting. Calling me two faced greedy back stabber and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me, huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there during the talks and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Mario: It was a bad time for everyone, Jags. It's all in the past now.

Jagr: For *you*! For me Penguin life is nothing! On the ice we had a code of honor, you score off my back, I score off yours. Back here there's nothing!

Mario: You're the last of an elite group, don't end it like this.

Jagr: Back here I could fly on ice, I could drive a Zamboni, I was in charge of league top hardware, back here now I can't even hold a job *being one of the top stars*!

This is how it should have ended. "Jagr's career."

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

A few samples:

---

---

He also said he'd love Mario and would play for league min for him to pay him back. He says a lot of things. :laugh: I wouldn't question his love for the game. I'm saying this idea that Pittsburgh/Jagr is meant to be is stupid. Jagr doesn't care about our city and we should stop caring about him. That's unique in Pittsburgh because we have so many athletes who ended up loving Pittsburgh and staying here. We are proud of that. There are so many Pittsburghers who cannot let Jagr go thinking he has the smallest of care about the city he started and spent 11 years of his life in. He just doesn't. He's not that guy. He doesn't care one bit.

And I don't have any issue he says those things. He was making a nice reference to basically the money Mario gave up for a bankrupt team.

But bottom line - Jagr doesn't care that he played here. He doesn't love Pittsburgh and that's fine. That whole "come back home" idea makes no sense to him and the whole idea that we dont' even remember him playing here is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

Like I said, I don't hate the guy. I just don't care. He's one of hockey's best players of all time. Pens don't owe him anything and he doesn't owe Pittsburgh anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad