News Article: LONG READ - Jaromir Jagr has no regrets on Penguins past, and no plans to retire

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
He never questioned Jagr's love for the game, he suggested that when it comes to choosing where to play, he's in it for the money.

So why was Jagr in Omsk and not in Edmonton who offered him a MONSTER contract in 2008? It was reported to be like 7 or 8 million a year.

Jagr himself has admitted Edmontons offer was much bigger than Omsk (it was in a russian article), but Jagr said that he played with Omsk during the 2004-2005 lockout and that he promised he would return to play for Omsk again. Jagr also thanked Edmontons GM for being the only one in the NHL that still thought he had it at the time.

Jagr also had bigger offers money wise on the table when signed with the Flyers and then a year later with Dallas. He choose these teams because he was promised playing time etc, exactly as he says.

The Pens told him they had to sign Tyler Kennedy first, and that made Jagr feel he was not going to get top minutes.

People who know little about Jagrs career always talks about money....

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
This quote was left out for some reason from the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...l-searching-for-treasure/stories/201610240146

*** I did use the majority of what Jagr said in the piece, but there were two quotes I couldn't fit.

The first is not new information – I write in the story how he thought it was the best move for the Penguins to trade him – but his delivery here was typical Jagr, trying to get a laugh.

“I love myself,†Jagr said. “But I’m also honest.

“They couldn't keep them (Alex Kovalev, Martin Straka and Robert Lang). It would be me or them. There was no reason to keep me. And this way was the best for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It wasn’t necessarily that good for me the next year, but you never know; maybe I wouldn’t be playing right now.â€

What Jagr said is true, it was losing him or losing Straka, Kovalev, Lang and Kasparaitis at the same time. Jagr knew the Pens financial situation. I wish I knew what took place in Craig Patricks office....

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This quote was left out for some reason from the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...l-searching-for-treasure/stories/201610240146

What Jagr said is true, it was losing him or losing Straka, Kovalev, Lang and Kasparaitis at the same time. Jagr knew the Pens financial situation. I wish I knew what took place in Craig Patricks office....

And teams retool or have to go through some rebuilds.

I'd have been fine with Jagr staying, get through that rebuild.

What's best is keeping your best players, Francis was already gone, and frankly, Straka, Kovalev and Lang were not the winning formula to another cup.

Mario's days were numbered at that point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He also said he'd love Mario and would play for league min for him to pay him back. He says a lot of things. :laugh: I wouldn't question his love for the game. I'm saying this idea that Pittsburgh/Jagr is meant to be is stupid. Jagr doesn't care about our city and we should stop caring about him. That's unique in Pittsburgh because we have so many athletes who ended up loving Pittsburgh and staying here. We are proud of that. There are so many Pittsburghers who cannot let Jagr go thinking he has the smallest of care about the city he started and spent 11 years of his life in. He just doesn't. He's not that guy. He doesn't care one bit.

And I don't have any issue he says those things. He was making a nice reference to basically the money Mario gave up for a bankrupt team.

But bottom line - Jagr doesn't care that he played here. He doesn't love Pittsburgh and that's fine. That whole "come back home" idea makes no sense to him and the whole idea that we dont' even remember him playing here is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

Like I said, I don't hate the guy. I just don't care. He's one of hockey's best players of all time. Pens don't owe him anything and he doesn't owe Pittsburgh anything.

At least be honest about why it didn't make sense to him.

Philly pitched him. All their key guys called. Giroux called, told him about how great it would be to have him on his wing.

Shero never pitched him, and I'm not sure he even wanted to do it.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. We're moving Neal to RW (ergo, he'll be with Malkin). And, we're resigning Kennedy to keep that line with Staal and Cooke together.

What was the message sent?

Look, it may have been about the money in the end, but Shero paid Sully 2M that season. He could've offered Jagr in the mid 2M range. Jagr speaks fluent Russian. Geno's big brothers in hockey were Elias and Sykora, Jagr friends. You could've had Geno reach out and talk about a Neal-Malkin-Jagr line. You know how Geno is, how he talks about Jagr, how he would've swelled Jagr's head talking him up.

The play for the minimum stuff was hyperbole obviously, but, you know what, the message Shero sent was 'I don't care if you come here or not'.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I haven't cared about the Pittsburgh/Jagr saga in over a decade. I'm struggling to understand why others do.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I haven't cared about the Pittsburgh/Jagr saga in over a decade. I'm struggling to understand why others do.

I'm struggling to understand why there still are people who want him back for one last season despite him being invisible in the playoffs for years now. This superstar has ONE goal in how many postseason games has it been now?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It is possible to not give a **** five years later AND to point out a missing piece in the analysis of why Jagr chose Philly.

Funny side note: When it happened, and there was the overnight delay, I remember writing something like this . . . Jagr shows in Pittsburgh at the press conference to announce his signing. Mario is there, beaming. Just then, Jagr chair shots Pens ownership and management. The NWO music cues. In walk Paul Holmgren and Bobby Clarke. Jagr rips off the Pens jersey he's wearing to reveal a Flyers jersey. He then proceeds to sign a contract Holmgren puts in front of him with Mario's blood. Curiously, I wasn't that far off . . . :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
At least be honest about why it didn't make sense to him.

Philly pitched him. All their key guys called. Giroux called, told him about how great it would be to have him on his wing.

Shero never pitched him, and I'm not sure he even wanted to do it.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. We're moving Neal to RW (ergo, he'll be with Malkin). And, we're resigning Kennedy to keep that line with Staal and Cooke together.

What was the message sent?

Look, it may have been about the money in the end, but Shero paid Sully 2M that season. He could've offered Jagr in the mid 2M range. Jagr speaks fluent Russian. Geno's big brothers in hockey were Elias and Sykora, Jagr friends. You could've had Geno reach out and talk about a Neal-Malkin-Jagr line. You know how Geno is, how he talks about Jagr, how he would've swelled Jagr's head talking him up.

The play for the minimum stuff was hyperbole obviously, but, you know what, the message Shero sent was 'I don't care if you come here or not'.

You're making alot of assumptions.

I remember Bylsma talking about moving Neal to RW, but as far as I remember if Sid started the season healthy, it was going to be Kunitz-Crosby-Neal.

I also remember DB being pretty giddy about the prospect of adding Jagr.

I don't disagree that Shero wasn't all that high on adding Jagr, but he made him an offer. Jagr chose a more lucrative one. As he always does.

Jagr cares more about money than he does the Pens. Do you think that's the case with Mario, Sid or Geno? Nope. Mario gave up salary to keep the team here. Sid and Geno took massive discounts to help their GM build a better team.

Even if he came here and got his PP minutes somehow, I'm positive he leaves at the end of the season for another destination offering more money.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're making alot of assumptions.

I remember Bylsma talking about moving Neal to RW, but as far as I remember if Sid started the season healthy, it was going to be Kunitz-Crosby-Neal.

I also remember DB being pretty giddy about the prospect of adding Jagr.

I don't disagree that Shero wasn't all that high on adding Jagr, but he made him an offer. Jagr chose a more lucrative one. As he always does.

Jagr cares more about money than he does the Pens. Do you think that's the case with Mario, Sid or Geno? Nope. Mario gave up salary to keep the team here. Sid and Geno took massive discounts to help their GM build a better team.

Even if he came here and got his PP minutes somehow, I'm positive he leaves at the end of the season for another destination offering more money.

Now who's making assumptions. Philly wasn't the highest offer. But, Philly sold him. It was talked about after. Giroux called him. Pronger called him. Others called him. They all fed his ego, made him feel important.

Yes, Bylsma may have been giddy about the prospect. BUT, there was no pitch and you know it. Shero either assumed it didn't matter (his 'people should WANT to play here' and not be pitched schtick) or didn't really want him.

Whatever the case is, it doesn't matter. Money may have been the larger factor, but was it a factor because Shero didn't think Jagr was worth more than Kennedy in his offer (that becomes about ego and money, no)? That said, it wasn't the only factor.

As I said, if Shero wanted to make a sale, there would've been calls from Sid and Geno and other things designed to say 'we want you'. Again, money? Sure. But, the message Shero sent was 'come, don't come, you're not worth more than Tyler Kennedy to us'.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's not an assumption to say he cares more about money than his allegiance to Mario/Pens.

In the end it doesn't matter because Jagr blows in the playoffs. That's a time of year that's rather important to us.

I'm fine with retiring his number. Doesn't mean I have to like him or pretend he likes me or the organization.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm struggling to understand why there still are people who want him back for one last season despite him being invisible in the playoffs for years now. This superstar has ONE goal in how many postseason games has it been now?

Not for years. he was snakebitten in Boston but otherwise was an offensive presence and he still produced in Philly. Only last year was he truly a liability. But yeah, its not logical to have him with us unless he's content with third line minutes.

Maybe years later if Pittsburgh is a bottom team and Jagr is still playing, then sign him and give him all the first line minutes he desires to tank for first overall...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Since the Pens are very stingy with retiring numbers - the grounds for getting your number retired can be scrutinized beyond hockey if they want to. Jagr was by far and away my favorite hockey player for a LONG time, beyond the ice though, there's no comparison to other Pens players. If you have any emotional sense about you, you can distinguish players who love Pittsburgh, the Pens organization - or both. Even in our team now you can see who just loves the team and who have emotional bonds thereafter. Jagr was never one who just died to be with the organization. I think he was a bit scorned when he came back, which had a lot to do with ego...and now like most people -with age- he wants to mend things. If we're going strictly off hockey accomplishments then his number deserves to be up there 10 times over, and that's fine.

When you're an idealist - it's tough to really appreciate Jagr bouncing from team to team when he's only ever HAD to do that a couple times. My boss (big St. Louis fan) asked me about Jagr just last week - and I told him it's a tough subject. Do I still think of him as a Pen? Honestly my memory puts him in a Pens or Rangers sweater. Do we retire his number? Well, everything he accomplished with the Pens were individual awards - but he also kept fans in the seats. At the end of the day, I think he should go up there based on the premise that he dominated the sport for a tenured amount of time as a Penguin. He played for Philly which makes the whole thing annoying as ever but he's still an NHL legend and a Pens Legend. I also believe that we should be the ONLY team that retires his number though.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yeah basically Shero gave Jagr a take it or leave it offer and Jagr chose to leave it. Then everyone got on Jagr's ass for not wanting to come here. :dunno:

To people saying he blows in the playoffs now, you understand he's in his 40s and only a complimentary piece at this point right? His playoff stats of late are lacking in goals, but all things considered they're not bad at all. Should he be contending for the Conn Smythe throughout each playoff run at age 44? Give me a break.

Sort of relevant but sort of not fact: More goals than all but one Penguin (tied with another) last year and more points than all but two. I'd say he's still pretty effective overall.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
every time I read an interview with Jagr it feels like he should be getting into politics after he retires. I think he's full of ****. which is ok, he is Jaromir Jagr.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Jagr wanted to be a New York Ranger-that was well known by everybody. Sather was bending over Patrick with his offers-Patrick (and Mario) said F you to both Sather and Jagr and moved him to Washington. Hell, those three prospects were ranked in the top five of Washington's system.

They struck out. It happens all the time with futures.

Jagr-who cares? Haven't thought about the guy in years. His number shouldn't be in the rafters. Very few numbers should be retired. He is in the ring of honor that's enough.

Crosby will have his retired.

Malkin MAYBE.

That's it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah basically Shero gave Jagr a take it or leave it offer and Jagr chose to leave it. Then everyone got on Jagr's ass for not wanting to come here. :dunno:

To people saying he blows in the playoffs now, you understand he's in his 40s and only a complimentary piece at this point right? His playoff stats of late are lacking in goals, but all things considered they're not bad at all. Should he be contending for the Conn Smythe throughout each playoff run at age 44? Give me a break.

Sort of relevant but sort of not fact: More goals than all but one Penguin (tied with another) last year and more points than all but two. I'd say he's still pretty effective overall.

We don't need help in the regular season. That's my point. He's too old to make an impact in the playoffs anymore. Doesn't have the extra gear after an 82 game season.

I only point that out because some still want to have him on Malkin's wing.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Thoughts:

The dude genuinely eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey in a way that I think few other people eat/sleep/breathe their passions. I believe him when he says he would play til he dies for the love of the game.

The bad blood with Craig Patrick or whatever the hell it was happened SO long ago at this point that nothing new can really be said about it. I doubt Jagr will ever be back in a Pens uniform, and I doubt they'll retire his number, but I don't think he particularly cares. At this point he only has himself to impress. Barring some disastrous eff-up, he's got one of the most impressive and unique career resumes of any pro athlete, ever, even without specific affiliation with one team.

I bet Jagr will be playing in Vegas next season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think retiring numbers should be for that emotional connection type player who not only dominates the game but means the world to the organization as well. I think hockey should retire his number before the Pens do, so most likely will never happen.

There are just 0 emotional ties from Jagr to Pittsburgh. The only few people who keep bringing it up are people who want to relive that awesome time... and can't let go.

And side note - i'm against retiring any jersey. I think it's an absolute honor for someone to wear your jersey number. The fact kids still wear 66, 99, and you see kids everywhere wearing 87, it's awesome. It's an absolute honor.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We don't need help in the regular season. That's my point. He's too old to make an impact in the playoffs anymore. Doesn't have the extra gear after an 82 game season.

I only point that out because some still want to have him on Malkin's wing.

There is nobody better who might be even remotely available for Malkin's wing. Right now, you are judging Jagr based on him playing first line minutes against every team's top defense pairing and top two-way line. Every single night.

If you brought him here and played him with Malkin and say Rust/Kuhnhackl (for defensive purposes), they would get the third-toughest opponents of every roster. That is partly why Rust was able to thrive in the playoffs last season with Malkin and Kunitz. Teams started to pay closer attention to HBK, which freed up Malkin's line. In that scenario, Jagr could easily thrive here, even in the postseason.

What people can't seem to understand is, Malkin needs someone on his line that thinks like him. That player does not HAVE to be European, but it makes it easier because Malkin wants to play more east-west than any other line we have. And a lot of Europeans like to do the same. Sykora thrived with Malkin. Fedotenko thrived with Malkin. I believe Jagr would thrive with Malkin.

And he is not THAT slow, come on. Even with our high-octane system, guys like Kunitz and Fehr can still be effective and they're not fast. Also, the Panthers are a fast team as well but he seems to be able to keep up. Thomas Vanek is slower than Jagr (a LOT slower), but he is thriving playing with two of the fastest skaters in the NHL...Helm and Athanasiou. Lastly, how many Penguins are faster than Jagr WITH the puck? 3, maybe 4 guys?

He would be fine next to Malkin.

Thoughts:

The dude genuinely eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey in a way that I think few other people eat/sleep/breathe their passions. I believe him when he says he would play til he dies for the love of the game.

The bad blood with Craig Patrick or whatever the hell it was happened SO long ago at this point that nothing new can really be said about it. I doubt Jagr will ever be back in a Pens uniform, and I doubt they'll retire his number, but I don't think he particularly cares. At this point he only has himself to impress. Barring some disastrous eff-up, he's got one of the most impressive and unique career resumes of any pro athlete, ever, even without specific affiliation with one team.

I bet Jagr will be playing in Vegas next season.

I doubt that. For a number of reasons.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think retiring numbers should be for that emotional connection type player who not only dominates the game but means the world to the organization as well. I think hockey should retire his number before the Pens do, so most likely will never happen.

There are just 0 emotional ties from Jagr to Pittsburgh. The only few people who keep bringing it up are people who want to relive that awesome time... and can't let go.

And side note - i'm against retiring any jersey. I think it's an absolute honor for someone to wear your jersey number. The fact kids still wear 66, 99, and you see kids everywhere wearing 87, it's awesome. It's an absolute honor.

Sort of the same point in my post. I actually prefer the Pens' system to that of...Boston for instance. I like that when you go in to the arena - you see team accomplishments and banners that really mean a lot to the franchise. If this represents the Penguins only wishing to retire stuff that has deep-rooted meaning then they need to forever keep things this way. Mario has his number - and a statue - and by all means should probably have the arena named after him... beyond that you are going to HAVE to retire 87. If Malkin does just one more great Geno season ending with major hardware I think he gets a nod as well. I mean - it was largely Geno's dominance that got that 'first' cup. Beyond those 3, your stories with players and Pittsburgh really fall off.

On the flip side - based off of hockey accomplishments - Jagr will have stood out unlike any other player for years to come. So if the Pens decide to start cutting down wearable numbers, Jagr will have to be among the first hockey-only players that the Pens retire. I'm not saying he will be the player to open the can of worms over (that would be like retiring Fleury for having the most wins) - but like has been stated he was basically just a guy we had under contract who was dominant. His downfall has been playing for many teams, the headlines of negativity he's created, and the fact he never won the Pens anything.

Could he be compared to a future Ovi if Washington never gets anywhere in the playoffs? I suppose if Ovi stays in Washington his whole career then that argument goes down the toilet - I've just never seen him as a guy who bleeds with the franchise. Purely speculation though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There is nobody better who might be even remotely available for Malkin's wing. Right now, you are judging Jagr based on him playing first line minutes against every team's top defense pairing and top two-way line. Every single night.

If you brought him here and played him with Malkin and say Rust/Kuhnhackl (for defensive purposes), they would get the third-toughest opponents of every roster. That is partly why Rust was able to thrive in the playoffs last season with Malkin and Kunitz. Teams started to pay closer attention to HBK, which freed up Malkin's line. In that scenario, Jagr could easily thrive here, even in the postseason.

What people can't seem to understand is, Malkin needs someone on his line that thinks like him. That player does not HAVE to be European, but it makes it easier because Malkin wants to play more east-west than any other line we have. And a lot of Europeans like to do the same. Sykora thrived with Malkin. Fedotenko thrived with Malkin. I believe Jagr would thrive with Malkin.

And he is not THAT slow, come on. Even with our high-octane system, guys like Kunitz and Fehr can still be effective and they're not fast. Also, the Panthers are a fast team as well but he seems to be able to keep up. Thomas Vanek is slower than Jagr (a LOT slower), but he is thriving playing with two of the fastest skaters in the NHL...Helm and Athanasiou. Lastly, how many Penguins are faster than Jagr WITH the puck? 3, maybe 4 guys?

He would be fine next to Malkin.

Jagr was dropped down the lineup in every playoff run since he came back to the league.

And in case you didn't notice last night, he was one of the worst players on the ice. Their fans already know he's not good enough to be flanking Barkov in the playoffs. But without Huberdeau, Barkov is having to carry him up and down the ice more in the regular season too.

Let it go man.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

This I agree with. I think it is dumb that players cannot wear what they want. The number that's retired means nothing without the name, anyway. So unless there's another kid named LEMIEUX who gets drafted by the Pens and wants to wear No. 66... and even if that were the case, would it be THAT bad?

I think it is VERY cool that Paul Stastny wore 26 for the same organization his father did. It would have never happened had the Nordiques not moved away, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Now who's making assumptions. Philly wasn't the highest offer. But, Philly sold him. It was talked about after. Giroux called him. Pronger called him. Others called him. They all fed his ego, made him feel important.

Yes, Bylsma may have been giddy about the prospect. BUT, there was no pitch and you know it. Shero either assumed it didn't matter (his 'people should WANT to play here' and not be pitched schtick) or didn't really want him.

Whatever the case is, it doesn't matter. Money may have been the larger factor, but was it a factor because Shero didn't think Jagr was worth more than Kennedy in his offer (that becomes about ego and money, no)? That said, it wasn't the only factor.

As I said, if Shero wanted to make a sale, there would've been calls from Sid and Geno and other things designed to say 'we want you'. Again, money? Sure. But, the message Shero sent was 'come, don't come, you're not worth more than Tyler Kennedy to us'.

Then it was never about Jagr wanting to pay Mario back because he "owed him his hockey life". That was the catalyst for the entire charade, and like everything else Jagr-related it was about ego, money, and a whole lot of empty words.

God forbid Shero take Jagr at his word and not bend over backwards to prioritize a 39 year old who spent 3 years in the KHL over a 24 year old who'd been a key part of a Cup win, and just came off a 20 goal 45 point year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The money was one thing, but Jagr wouldn't have been able to stick with this team at that time going through a rebuild, nor would you want a guy like Jagr around sabotaging a rebuild. He was in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->