London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Max Jones...........Scores Last Night and Making Serious Push to make the NHL

By Eric Stephens: Daily Breeze
Posted: 09/20/17, 9:01 PM PDT
Anaheim Ducks:
Sam Steel and Max Jones joined fellow top prospect Jacob Larsson as those the Ducks are keeping a keen eye on in this training camp. Injuries to three top players in Ryan Kesler, Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen have put open jobs in
the forward mix and defense corps that ordinarily wouldn’t be there.
This first formal audition for the three carried some added weight when it came to making their case for sticking
with the Ducks throughout the preseason and into the start of the regular schedule.
“It’s a very short window here to show us what you got to earn the right to continue to play and stay in that evaluation process,” Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said.
“It is probably more important than anything for those young players as you described. We’re going to continue to drive that home.
“Right now, there is a need. And we’re going to have to fill the need with some of the people that are competing for this position now.”
Jones, a 6-foot-3, 209-pound left wing, started his preseason off nicely by setting up in front of the goal and banging in a rebound that Coyotes goalie Louis Domingue left from Cam Fowler’s slap shot on the power play. His plan was to stay calm, use his speed and size and “play like I’ve done a million times.”
“I’d say it’s pretty important,” Jones said.
“Personally, I want to obviously be here. And I think it starts right now, if it hasn’t already. …
“I got to go out and just play my game. They drafted me for a reason. Just stick to my game.”
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/2...nes-begin-serious-push-for-ducks-roster-spots

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Cliff Pu............Youngest still@ Buffalo Sabres Camp

Cliff Pu is the only CHL Player remaining at the Buffalo Sabres Camp.
According to the Sabre's list released today Cliff Pu is the youngest Sabre remaining of 47 players. He is the only CHL Player at their camp.
In his first NHL Pre-Season Game against Carolina Cliff played 11:30 minutes, had 1 Assist on a goal by former London Knight Seth Griffith.
He was 100% on Face-Offs.
Jourdon LaBarber @JourdonLaBarber
Housley said #Sabres will look to get Pu another game this weekend. "He's had an excellent camp up to this point and he's getting rewarded."
Jourdon LaBarber Article:
It made you wonder whether Pu had earned himself a second preseason game. While Phil Housley made no promises, he teased the possibility of seeing the young center in the lineup for one of Buffalo's games against Toronto this weekend.
"I think he's had a great camp and it started with development camp," Housley said. "We like his grit, we want to see him in another game hopefully soon in the next two … It's intriguing, trying to see where he can fit in. I think he's had an excellent camp up to this point and he's getting rewarded for it."
The game was a step up from the OHL, of course, but he felt he fit in well.
"I think it's just the spacing and the size of the guys," Pu said. "Everyone here is pretty big and pretty strong and everyone here is fast. In junior I think I'm one of the fastest guys but here I think I blend in pretty well."
"In our evaluation to each individual [we told them] what they really have to work on to separate themselves and get them ahead of the game, and just bring a good attitude going back to junior and being a leader on their team," Housley said. "It's nothing new, but it's specific to the individual, what they need to work on as far as fundamentals and part of their game."
Pu will likely have at least one more opportunity to see how he measures up against the Maple Leafs on either Friday or Saturday. In the meantime, he'll continue to take each day with the Sabres for what it is: a learning experience.
"I think I'm just trying to work as hard as I can, keep my mouth shut and keep my ears open," he said. "Everyone here has had NHL experience before and coaches have been great with me, teaching me all the systems and stuff. I'm just trying to keep my head down, work hard and hopefully earn a couple more days here."
https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-cliff-pu-practice-report/c-291240826

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Victor Mete...........Continues to Impress Hab's Fans

Victor Mete:
Comments from Montreal Canadiens's HF Board Fans:

livinggod:
He is very impressive. I like the fact that he's not scared to go out of position. He's not shy to help forward on offence and he's always looking to play aggressively.
He's very mobile with great IQ decision making. This is a nice combo and he has good enough hands to be able to beat some forward 1vs1 in is zone.
One play yesterday when a Caps player dump the puck behind the net on Weber side. The Cap player was alone I think the other 2 went for a change.So he went to help Weber. Generally you never want to have both D in the same corner like that but when there is no other treats it's a good thing to go help and make sure the play die right there.
It's weird because Sergachev had the physical tools last year but he was one step behind and didnt have the IQ to play in the big league. For Mete it's like the opposite he has the smarts and the speed but he is pretty small. I think people overvalue the size in nhl. I feel like even if Mete is smaller is IQ + speed help him a lot. Sergachev even if he was bigger he was getting hit hard and he was putting himself in position to get hurt.
Christo182:
As for Mete, I believe he will get a 9-game-tryout if he continues to play that well. Not only would that be deserved, but I have a feeling the Habs brass might want to sell their fans a shiny new toy. And I'm 100% fine with that. Most people here have known Mete for a couple of years, but the average fan most likely discovered him just yesterday. Giving him 9 games would be good for his development, and contract-wise and marketing-wise, the Habs would benefit from that as well. Plus, how could he be worse than Benn on the top pairing ?! It just goes to show that you should draft based on talent and potential, especially in the later rounds as it can pay off big time.
Tourist:
I get that he's small, but you'd think a player with such a combination of skating, poise, smarts, maturity and attitude would get picked higher than the 4th round.
I was skeptical but understand now why many on this board who had seen him play were pumping his tires.
Very good prospect.
DramaticGloveSave:
Very impressive game from him. He's really grown in just the short time since the junior showcase.
I won't be shocked if he gets 9 games this year at all. That and a dominant WJC and I'll call that a huge leap year for him.
Adam Michaels:
If and when he is sent back to London, I expect him to be a much improved player there. In most cases, when players get sent down (to minors or juniors), there is a small period where they don't do well. So that's a possibility, but he will eventually be a beast in the OHL. It isn't just the fact he is playing well at camp, but he looks good next to Weber, and Shea is going to have an impact on this kid's development.
Pierre LeBrun Twitter:
✔ ‎@PierreVLeBrun
Claude Julien says he was impressed with Victor Mete's game tonight. Liked his composure.
Mete, 19, looked at ease playing alongside Weber
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2096189&page=27

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Crawley's not going to dress for the Rangers pre-season game tomorrow, so he's likely cut.

Question is if he lands in the A, or back here. We'll know really soon.

Having him back would be huge. Defence looks pretty green without him.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
It's going to be an ugly lineup to start the season.

Have faith my friend, the last three x-games were with hardly any vets and they were very impressive. These young players have some serious talents, may lack experience but they are able to make it up with other skills, I have been around rinks all my life, and this young group 16-17 yr olds can really skates and play. Give them a few games to adjust and to get used to each others, we could once again be in for another surprise in a year or two !!!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
If we lose any one of Jones Pu or Mete we are hooped

Mete will be back he may hang around for 9 games and then sent back for his last junior year. No doubt he's got the NHL talent now and also the mind to be up there, it's his physicality that needs beefing up. I think if he'd been a forward just like Marner last year he could have stick.

Pu has the skating and the strength to stick with the Sabres but his second half and playoffs production was disappointing, they need to know he can be consistent for a full year, if he's not it's a full year on his entry level contract the Sabres loses.

Jones ? It's anyone's guess with him, he got it all to make it at that level, but, and I say but because the answer to the question is "Is he mature enough?" to hang around !!!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Mete will be back he may hang around for 9 games and then sent back for his last junior year. No doubt he's got the NHL talent now and also the mind to be up there, it's his physicality that needs beefing up. I think if he'd been a forward just like Marner last year he could have stick.

Pu has the skating and the strength to stick with the Sabres but his second half and playoffs production was disappointing, they need to know he can be consistent for a full year, if he's not it's a full year on his entry level contract the Sabres loses.

Jones ? It's anyone's guess with him, he got it all to make it at that level, but, and I say but because the answer to the question is "Is he mature enough?" to hang around !!!

Jones could probably play in the NHL in a bottom 6 role. But he can still work on his overall offensive game (primary vision + passing), so I think he'll be in London after a 9-game stint.

Pu and Mete both have reportedly played well but I'm quite sure both will be back.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Jones could probably play in the NHL in a bottom 6 role. But he can still work on his overall offensive game (primary vision + passing), so I think he'll be in London after a 9-game stint.

Pu and Mete both have reportedly played well but I'm quite sure both will be back.

You are on the same line of thinking as I am, they all need some something to work on but all of them could be or are just about in the NHL now!!!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Bratt is gonna tear it up for you guys, he's been awesome this preseason.

Thanks ! That would be awesome if he make his way back to London, we sure liked the little bit we have seen of him at this camp but sometime an awesome player has an awesome chance not to come back to junior ranks. He and at the very least half dozen other Knights have a chance at sticking at the higher level, this is the most we've seen ever, usually it's one, two or three players but not this year. (Bratt, Crawley, Jones, Juolevi, Mete, Pu, Thomas,)

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks ! That would be awesome if he make his way back to London, we sure liked the little bit we have seen of him at this camp but sometime an awesome player has an awesome chance not to come back to junior ranks. He and at the very least half dozen other Knights have a chance at sticking at the higher level, this is the most we've seen ever, usually it's one, two or three players but not this year. (Bratt, Crawley, Jones, Juolevi, Mete, Pu, Thomas,)

if Bratt keeps his play up he wont be back in London he had 2 goals tonight

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jesper Bratt scores 2 Goals Last Night for NJ Devils vs Montreal.
Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVPsWobgTc

Could Jesper Bratt be a Dark Horse and make the New Jersey Devils Roster this Season?
By Chris Ryan NJ Advance Media
NEWARK -- In John Hynes' experience with general manager Ray Shero, the Devils coach said Shero always looks for players to surprise him in training camp.
One of those surprises this preseason could come in the form of 19-year-old Jesper Bratt, who is attending his first training camp after being selected by the Devils in the sixth round of the 2016 NHL Draft.
Following a strong showing in Buffalo during the Prospects Challenge, Hynes didn't rule out the possibility of Bratt making a run at the roster.
"You come into camp and feel like there's certain guys that are going to be on the team,
and there's certain guys that are going to be on the bubble and they may make," Hynes said.
"But you want to be able to have guys you're not expecting to have a rookie camp like they have, or they come into training camp and play very well."
"Jesper's a guy that has done that so far. As long as he continues to play his game and continues to do what he did in the rookie tournament, he certainly has as good of a chance as anyone to make a push to make the team."
Bratt is a small player, coming in at 5-10 and 179 pounds. But he hopes his skill set is enough to make an impression.
"I'm a creative guy, and I like to skate a lot," Bratt said.
"I'm a fast forward and I like to compete a lot. I'm going to try and show my speed and creativity out on the ice with my compete level."
Bratt's play in Buffalo left an impression on Hynes, and Bratt fits the mold of the type of player the Devils want now and down the road.
"You can see his hockey sense and intelligence are very good," Hynes said. "He's maybe not the biggest guy, but he's quick, explosive, he's strong on his skates. He's got hockey strength. Like any skilled player like that, he competes.
He can play in traffic, and that's what we talked about at the end of last year.
In this league, you have to be able to make plays and play when there's no time and space, in duress all the time.
He's shown that he can do that."
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/09/could_jesper_bratt_be_a_dark_horse_to_make_devils.html

Last edited:

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I honestly don't think we'll see Max Jones back in London. I'm 98% sure..... Pu and Mete will be coming back and should play a vital role with Team Canada...

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This guy is one happy camper. Just found out the Rogers broadcast camera will no longer be crowding my leg space and the move will make navigating the front row in 309 and 310 much safer. FINALLY...my persistent *****ing paid off

Wow! As I recall, that took several YEARS. Next time, if you could compact all that B****ching into a single season, you might get quicker results....PLUS you'd then get to qualify as a curmudge:laugh:on.

Wow! As I recall, that took several YEARS. Next time, if you could compact all that B****ching into a single season, you might get quicker results....PLUS you'd then get to qualify as a curmudge:laugh:on.

I've had those seats since 2003..we moved up after the 1st season in the lower bowl. I think the camera took it's perch there a couple years later...I'm thinking maybe the Memorial Cup year or year after. It was OK at 1st but when they switched to the bigger heavier HD cameras a few years back...it totally crowded my leg room. To the point there were times I had to sit practically sideways in my seat because the tripod totally encroached into my leg room. Glad it's gone and if it attempts a comeback it will meet a fight from myself and many others in 309 and 310. I pay for the seats and the leg room around them.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
So...what kind of lineup are we icing tonight?

Is Miletic back?

Very JV tonight. Would expect Johnson to start between the pipes then some collection of the following:

F's: Carbonara, Turko, Tymkin, Nelson, Cottam, Foudy, Moskal, R. Whittaker, Rowe, Duhart, Pierce

D's: Bouchard, Coome, Golden, Regula, Fallowfield, Perrott, Bangs

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've had those seats since 2003..we moved up after the 1st season in the lower bowl. I think the camera took it's perch there a couple years later...I'm thinking maybe the Memorial Cup year or year after. It was OK at 1st but when they switched to the bigger heavier HD cameras a few years back...it totally crowded my leg room. To the point there were times I had to sit practically sideways in my seat because the tripod totally encroached into my leg room. Glad it's gone and if it attempts a comeback it will meet a fight from myself and many others in 309 and 310. I pay for the seats and the leg room around them.

:yo::yo::yo::yo::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Having been up there myself, it's pretty crazy how little space there was with a camera. Well done!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad