London Knights 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Kitchener was robbed! The Rangers controlled the play but could only put two past Parsons who played perhaps his best game of the season.
Dvorak looked lost without Marner.
Since we don't have a lot of depth, Marner's absence from the lineup was really felt.
I thought Cliff Pu had a few good shifts. His assist on the Grzelewski goal was a thing of beauty.
MacInnis is by far the Rangers most skilled player.
I'd be lying if I said it was a good game. Bottom line: we came away with the 2 pts.
Hey PP31: what jersey were you wearing tonight?

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Kitchener was robbed! The Rangers controlled the play but could only put two past Parsons who played perhaps his best game of the season.
Dvorak looked lost without Marner.
Since we don't have a lot of depth, Marner's absence from the lineup was really felt.
I thought Cliff Pu had a few good shifts. His assist on the Grzelewski goal was a thing of beauty.
MacInnis is by far the Rangers most skilled player.
I'd be lying if I said it was a good game. Bottom line: we came away with the 2 pts.
Hey PP31: what jersey were you wearing tonight?

Dvorak looked lost? The cough-up notwithstanding, Dvorak was arguably London's best forward. 2 assists, dominated the draws/PK, and had brilliant feeds that didn't come to fruition, like the backhander from near his goalline that sent Domi on a partial breakaway. His first assist, he had one lane to put the puck and put a saucer right over the defenceman's stick straight on Domi's stick.

EDIT: Meh, scratch that. Cliff and Grzelewski may have been London's 2 best forwards until their ice time was decreased late. Those two should've played more in the 3rd.

Last edited:

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Dvorak looked lost? The cough-up notwithstanding, Dvorak was arguably London's best forward. 2 assists, dominated the draws/PK, and had brilliant feeds that didn't come to fruition, like the backhander from near his goalline that sent Domi on a partial breakaway.

EDIT: Meh, scratch that. Cliff and Grzelewski may have been London's 2 best forwards until their ice time was decreased late. Those two should've played more in the 3rd.

Match ups...not possible. If Kitchener continued to throw out 3rd/4rth line then you can get Griz/Pu out more otherwise they'd match up against Kitchener top 6 and would not fare well. Coaching strategy is to always try and give bulk of ice to bottom 6 against bottom 6 both to help develop and gain confidence for the young guys and to win games. Conversely London lost the line match game large in the loss to Erie where I watched Erie do their best to keep McDavid matched up against our 3rd or wherever possible the 4rth. I personally would've told the bottom 6 to ice the puck when they realized they were matching up against McDavid given the OHL's icing rule not being the same as the NHL.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Match ups...not possible. If Kitchener continued to throw out 3rd/4rth line then you can get Griz/Pu out more otherwise they'd match up against Kitchener top 6 and would not fare well. Coaching strategy is to always try and give bulk of ice to bottom 6 against bottom 6 both to help develop and gain confidence for the young guys and to win games. Conversely London lost the line match game large in the loss to Erie where I watched Erie do their best to keep McDavid matched up against our 3rd or wherever possible the 4rth. I personally would've told the bottom 6 to ice the puck when they realized they were matching up against McDavid given the OHL's icing rule not being the same as the NHL.

Everything you wrote is accurate. I can't argue it.

I just think we're reaching a point where Grzelewski and Cliff (albeit his sample size is smaller than Zack's) are outplaying Yakimowicz and Berisha.

I like Berisha, but he needs to pick it up. He scored his first few games with the Knights because he attacked the slot, and that's where his goals came from (slot feeds from Domi). Since then, he's become a perimeter player, and others have consequently gained on him (or passed him in MacDonald's case).

Yakimowicz, I'm seriously wondering if he'll fall to the 4th line next year. He's capable of more (we've seen it), but this is a 2+ month stretch we haven't heard much from him.

Couldn't be happier with the play of Jamieson and Gleason that game. Bergman had a great final 10 minutes, but not a good effort for the first 50.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Dvorak looked lost? The cough-up notwithstanding, Dvorak was arguably London's best forward. 2 assists, dominated the draws/PK, and had brilliant feeds that didn't come to fruition, like the backhander from near his goalline that sent Domi on a partial breakaway. His first assist, he had one lane to put the puck and put a saucer right over the defenceman's stick straight on Domi's stick.

Nailed it. Dvorak was easily their best player outside of Parsons. Gleason was excellent. Glad to see him in the lineup

However, London couldnt throw much Kitchener's way. Dvorak and Domi were the only real threats

Parsons with the best goaltending performance of the year season thus far. If that game didn't plant the seed that this kid should get 75% of the starts the rest of the season and the starting role in the playoffs..then I have nothing more to say.

Also...if the nay sayers didn't see what Cliff Pu possesses and will exhibit moving forward once confidence and maturity sets in...cash in your membership.

I don't know how many people visit warmups, I make a point of being there for them every game, but you can read a lot from warmups. Cliff Pu and Zach Grzelewski already have a bond. They jostle each other and line up next to each other throughout the entire warmups. That builds trust which builds chemistry between teammates. Hope I'm not the only one that sees it.

Last edited:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Also...if the nay sayers didn't see what Cliff Pu possesses and will exhibit moving forward once confidence and maturity sets in...cash in your membership.

Very dynamic player, just needs his opportunities. Great individual effort showcasing his speed and touch on the Grzelewski goal

4kmm4

Jun 12, 2013
London (Parsons) stole the game. Hopefully he gets some more regular starts down the stretch. Gleason is going to be good with some more ice time. Other than that, kind of a
boring game. The 2nd period was a snooze fest. Very little offence generated. You can see the potential in PU. He should have picked # 2. lol.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Parsons with the best goaltending performance of the year season thus far. If that game didn't plant the seed that this kid should get 75% of the starts the rest of the season and the starting role in the playoffs..then I have nothing more to say.

I don't know how many people visit warmups, I make a point of being there for them every game, but you can read a lot from warmups. Cliff Pu and Zach Grzelewski already have a bond. They jostle each other and line up next to each other throughout the entire warmups. That builds trust which builds chemistry between teammates. Hope I'm not the only one that sees it.

3-in-3
Sarnia
@Belleville
@Oshawa

Friday-Saturday are both second tier teams so they're a wash in competition. Parsons has earned the Friday-Sunday slate. They've given the Friday-Sunday slate (of 3-in-3's) to Giugovaz the last 3 times.

After Friday, 16 of the next 20 are on the road bringing us to Game 65.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
London (Parsons) stole the game. Hopefully he gets some more regular starts down the stretch. Gleason is going to be good with some more ice time. Other than that, kind of a
boring game. The 2nd period was a snooze fest. Very little offence generated. You can see the potential in PU. He should have picked # 2. lol.

Pre-game interview and London's strategy was clear and that was to sit back and not force things. They didn't want an open run-and-gun game as Knight's D and goaltending is not on the same level as Kitcheners (especially with Paterson in net). Kitchener wanted to throw everything they could at the net and hope Parsons would cave in and allow some weak goals and lose confidence. It's always a good strategy against younger goalies who usually don't have the same confidence as older more mature goalies. Last night though it didn't work and once Parsons settled in you could see he was gaining more and more confidence, hence the strategic and somewhat boring game.

On another note Domi is still going to need some more time to learn to read Dvorak and vice-versa. Twice Dvorak was trying to deposit a puck slyly to Max who was blasting out from behind him and leading to embarrassing turnovers. Say what you want about Rupert or Marner but in combination with Dvorak they know the 'System' or style of each other and complement that. That's the reason that line was doing so well. I'm just not sure there is enough puck for 3 solid puck carriers to share to be highly effective but from any fan's perspective that's one heck of a line to watch skating around.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
100% agreed on all accounts.

Rupert fits like a glove complementing any line with 2 skill players because of all the space he creates, goalie screens, picks, quickly chips pucks, dominates the walls, forces turnovers on the forecheck, finds the open space in the slot, etc. He (and his brother) worked great casting the same role when paired with Watson and Horvat among others in the past. Rupert is a better player without the puck than with it (that's a compliment).

With the 'Power Line', like you said, there's only a finite volume of touches to go around. Putting those 3 on the same line actually limits the amount of touches each player has in a game, before you even hit the more important chemistry debate.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Totally agree with the above two posts. Esp the part about 3 puck handlers playing together.

As I said before PP, can't wait til next year and how much more Pu will be able to contribute. Hes got skill n speed, just gotta get more comfortable n confident.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Totally agree with the above two posts. Esp the part about 3 puck handlers playing together.

As I said before PP, can't wait til next year and how much more Pu will be able to contribute. Hes got skill n speed, just gotta get more comfortable n confident.

Pu's a 1st rounder for a reason and coming out of the powerful Marlies program you know he's been playing in the toughest Minor League in the world so that gives him a jump vs. some other Leagues. He will continue to develop and hopefully they continue to play him where he can succeed as I'd hate to see young skilled guys in wrong playing scenarios getting injured. Those are setbacks and can lead to long term issues.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Agree, ease him in slowly and in situations he can handle well.

It's my first year getting a good look at the MM group and during tourneys saw first hand, those TO area teams are loaded. Lots of talent spread out elsewhere but almost every game in that league is a grind.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Agree, ease him in slowly and in situations he can handle well.

It's my first year getting a good look at the MM group and during tourneys saw first hand, those TO area teams are loaded. Lots of talent spread out elsewhere but almost every game in that league is a grind.

The thing with the GTHL and why they can stack so many teams goes beyond what most people would expect from such a large drawing area (which includes Mississauga and some of the other GTA within the boundaries and rules...i.e Vaughan for example). It's the added Imports and especially the somewhat illegal imports that goes on to stack these GTHL Teams that puts the League over the top. It's also why there are rules like the Bo Horvat rule that some people don't even know about. It's the only way Bo could play in the GTHL as Elgin was iron-fisted about not letting him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad