London Knights 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Bit of a slow game in Plymouth although the Bulls/Erie game had some dull periods as well but the Charlie Graham show continues in Belleville.

I'm wondering how much juice will be left in the knights legs for such a grinding team in the Battalion tomorrow as they were showing some signs of that in what I caught tonight.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Today is the 'Teddy Toss Game'---here's a message from the kids and a riposte...

Dear hockey fans...we have enough bears, but if you enjoy the spectacle, keep throwing them! If you really want to show you care why don't you give us something that we really need, that we desperately need--Ritalin, Adderall, and the like? We are the next generation and yet we have the attention span of a gnat. Please help.

Dear kids...
You're absolutely correct, we have cloaked our thrill for spectacle under the guise of altruism, and good will. We are sorry. If it's any consolation, we play North Bay today (a 3 in 3) which means that we likely won't see any bears hit the ice. Even still, ask Santa for the Ritalin.

I kidddddddd.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This team is looking for balanced scoring throughout 3 lines. Imagine how good the top 9 would look if they hadn't pulled the trigger on that deadline deal last year. ;)

I have imagined that...Platzer and Elie in our lineup this season. Yes, that would certainly provide 3 scoring lines and we'd be among the league's best. However, Hunter was forced to build a winner last season in a Memorial Cup year, and had to deal Elie for some much needed defensive help.

I have imagined that...Platzer and Elie in our lineup this season. Yes, that would certainly provide 3 scoring lines and we'd be among the league's best. However, Hunter was forced to build a winner last season in a Memorial Cup year, and had to deal Elie for some much needed defensive help.

The Elie for Austin deal I could live with..it improved the team.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I've got a sad total of 25 this year.... I hate being busy...:rant:

But it's my favorite game of the year. No big teddys for me this year.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Good on you guys for collecting em.
I just went out and bought some lol But the neighbours always chip in as well.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Did ya rent a van to bring em all in PP?

25 is great JL. Great cause supported by chl teams across the country.

My fav game as well

Last edited:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I'll never forget last year driving to rink with my 6fter in the passenger seat... the looks I got were priceless.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
speculative question for London fans

Just wondering....
Given
a) McDavid will be gone after this year
b) Bassin is probably gone
c) Erie is a top 2 team right now
d) Erie has 7 97s and 3 98s on their roster

what do you think the chances are London trades Domi to Erie for a couple of 97s and picks?
I think Domi waives his NTC for Erie- chance to play in a 4th Memorial Cup. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable London fans can answer -Has any player ever played in 4 Cups before?
If Domi plays on same line with McDavid on WJ team- that would be a lights out scoring line!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Looks like Domi and McCarron are playing on separate lines now. Anyone can share the lineup and who McCarron is paired with? Thanks!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Thanks PP for leaving 3 bears with Mrs. Nelli and I, each of which were bigger than us! Well done! :handclap:

As for the game...welcome to the Max Domi show. Domi has earned a point on London's last 8 goals!
I'm imagining somewhere there's a drunk and pot-bellied Ryan Pottruff shouting at the t.v. screen: "I told you, just like in 2006, it's a Jr. B team with a powerplay".

This could get ugly when Max (and McCarron) leave for the World Jrs.

Warren added a 'little' offensive spark (pun intended).
Guigovaz out, Parsons in. I'm guessing it was illness related, and not due to his performance.
So did anyone pick a 3rd or 4th liner to score the TBT goal? Stupid question.
Mermis was horrible...'this is a recording'.

I don't like Hunter's decision to mix up the top 2 lines. It seems like we've gone from a 2 line team to a 1 line team as the '2nd' line of McCarron, Berisha, Rupert do not generate much offence. The entire offensive load falls on the shoulders of the number one line of Domi, Marner, and Dvorak.
I have to admit that I'm a fan of Jake Smith whom I consider to be one of the O's elite goaltenders.
I suppose that the myth of London's officiating bias will rear its ugly head despite the statistics I cited in previous posts demonstrating to the fora that it is just that--a myth. But, don't let those statistics get in the way of your diatribe....carry on.

Hedon rating: 9/10

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Just wondering....
Given
a) McDavid will be gone after this year
b) Bassin is probably gone
c) Erie is a top 2 team right now
d) Erie has 7 97s and 3 98s on their roster

what do you think the chances are London trades Domi to Erie for a couple of 97s and picks?
I think Domi waives his NTC for Erie- chance to play in a 4th Memorial Cup. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable London fans can answer -Has any player ever played in 4 Cups before?
If Domi plays on same line with McDavid on WJ team- that would be a lights out scoring line!

Retweeted Ryan Pyette (@RyanatLFPress):
Max Domi on the possibility of being traded from the London Knights: "I'm staying here for the rest of my junior career." So there you go.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I'd like to know how that neutral zone ref can make that call on the perfectly clean hit but the one that's 10ft away didn't.

The first 50 minutes London didn't deserve to and the last 10+ North Bay didn't deserve to win.

The last 2 weeks has shown it's glaring issues. I'd like to see this team use a break out the most teams use move as a unit.

Mermis should ask Mete where he learned how to play defense. The game could have been over after 60 if he had a clue how to play.

It's nice to see the players out helping out cleaning up the bears. Last year the pushed them around but it nice to see the gloves off hanging out with the kids.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
The first 50 minutes London didn't deserve to and the last 10+ North Bay didn't deserve to win.

The last 2 weeks has shown it's glaring issues. I'd like to see this team use a break out the most teams use move as a unit.

The reason you're seeing trouble on the breakouts is that the D are very young and inexperienced and tend to still do things they did in Minor Midget like they all seem to try and skate the puck to the blue line and chip it in. It freezes everyone on the blue line. Marner nearly did the splits yesterday on a play where Jamieson carried the puck to the blue line and didn't move it to Marner who at the last second straddled the line in near splits.

Same thing was happening last year with the Bulls young D and to a good degree with the Bulls two new young D. Belleville's solution was to put 2 older forwards on D to get the puck out fast and it worked quite well as witnessed by Wins and lower Shots against and more Shot for. I'm not suggesting London should do that but in order to generate more offense and lets Shot against, that puck MUST come off the sticks of the mostly young D instantly. If they're skating it and looking around then breakout options close up and you have unforced turnovers. The young D will learn over time or eventually feel the boot of the Coaching Staff.

One thing this skilled young D group lacks is a real shooter. Battalion have that in Miller with 10 goals on the season already! He's very good defensively and can just hammer the puck. That would also give the powerplay another deadly option but you won't see that in the next few years unless Knights trade for one.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
The reason you're seeing trouble on the breakouts is that the D are very young and inexperienced and tend to still do things they did in Minor Midget like they all seem to try and skate the puck to the blue line and chip it in. It freezes everyone on the blue line. Marner nearly did the splits yesterday on a play where Jamieson carried the puck to the blue line and didn't move it to Marner who at the last second straddled the line in near splits.

Same thing was happening last year with the Bulls young D and to a good degree with the Bulls two new young D. Belleville's solution was to put 2 older forwards on D to get the puck out fast and it worked quite well as witnessed by Wins and lower Shots against and more Shot for. I'm not suggesting London should do that but in order to generate more offense and lets Shot against, that puck MUST come off the sticks of the mostly young D instantly. If they're skating it and looking around then breakout options close up and you have unforced turnovers. The young D will learn over time or eventually feel the boot of the Coaching Staff.

One thing this skilled young D group lacks is a real shooter. Battalion have that in Miller with 10 goals on the season already! He's very good defensively and can just hammer the puck. That would also give the powerplay another deadly option but you won't see that in the next few years unless Knights trade for one.

Good post JS...
I think London does have some young d-men who will become offensively gifted contributors on the back end (e.g. Mete, Crawley, Gleason). Can these kids hammer the puck? Not sure! The forwards are coached not to send the puck back to the point as their first option, but instead to cycle down low. Knights simply don't use the point very often. Perhaps this changes in the next few seasons. I don't know. Sadly, our most experienced d-man, Mermis, is one of our worst, defensively = turnover machine--even Todd Gill would shake his head! :)

Nov 28, 2014
London, ON
Max Domi on the possibility of being traded from the London Knights: "I'm staying here for the rest of my junior career." So there you go.

If this is indeed true, which it appears to be as it is coming from a very reliable source, then there are two very good options:

1) You try and unload McCarron and Rupert for younger players(97/98); my least favourite option.
2) Trade some lesser assets and Wely picks for a goalie and depth D and have at it; next year will be fine with new reports and if we need to get D next year we find another way.

Let Erie, the Soo and possibly Guelph load up; it will just weaken them next year and we still have a legit shot at a second round upset.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Have you guys heard any rumours of Zach Werenski showing up after the WJC this year? Supposed to be a top 5 pick this year and hearing he might leave Michigan to join the Knights after the world Jrs. He could solidify the D...

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Have you guys heard any rumours of Zach Werenski showing up after the WJC this year? Supposed to be a top 5 pick this year and hearing he might leave Michigan to join the Knights after the world Jrs. He could solidify the D...

This makes sense from the stand point that the Knights will be done early in the playoffs and Domi can go play hockey for money in the AHL. Why would he want to make another run at a Memorial Cup when as I said he can go make money and be one step closer to the NHL?

Not that I agree but I do see his side of it. Plus, there is a risk of a serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad