Lombardi?

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I've seen many owners give non-committal responses about GM's and GM's do the same about coaches. I can't think of a single owner who has so clearly backed a GM then cut him loose shortly after.

Not the same thing, I know, but Marc Bergevin was thick with and said supportive things about Michel Therrien... until Julien came available.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to think it could happen with Holland here. And, they don't need to fire him, just promote him for a year.

After so many years of the same thing, I think the Wings need a new hockey mind and a new approach more than anything. From a personnel standpoint, right on through the coaching, nothing has substantially changed since the cap came in and we couldn't spend on the "dream team" anymore.

Promote Holland for his last year, give Lombardi a 3 year contract, boot Blash and let Lombardi pick the next coach.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hollands not going anywhere. But I don't think an extension in his current capacity is a forgone conclusion either.

Yeah he probably gets moved up like Devallano did. They tried to get him to take a job higher up in the front office to keep Yzerman before he left for Tampa but Holland said he wanted to be GM.

I think next year Holland is "forced" to move up and a new GM brought in. Holland will still be around in an adviser role for whoever the new GM. Khan said he thinks that will be what happens in an article too.

Poach Mark Hunter from Toronto is the best bet. He gets to move closer to home and run his own team.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm not sure I really want someone else's old GM. Not that I'm saying a guy like Chayka is the answer, but I don't know that any of these guys who've been around for decades are the right way to go. Find someone with the best new ideas, or someone who sees/understands where the NHL is going next year, rather than where it was last year.

I dunno. That sounds empty, and I have nothing to substantiate it, but I really don't think the team should play 'retread roulette' for the next several years, unless the guy is clearly the best in the league at his job (a la Babcock or Bowman, when they came). I don't think that's Lombardi or Sutter, regardless of what the team is doing with Holland and Blash.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I support someone that is not Holland. But we need to do everything possible to make that guy Yzerman.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I support someone that is not Holland. But we need to do everything possible to make that guy Yzerman.

Until we actually get Yzerman here and he doesn't actually change a whole lot about what Holland did, right? Then we will demonize Stevie and be dying to pry Chayka away.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Until we actually get Yzerman here and he doesn't actually change a whole lot about what Holland did, right? Then we will demonize Stevie and be dying to pry Chayka away.

:rolleyes: God forbid fans demand excellence from anyone who gets hired or has the job.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

What is it from Yzerman's track record that leads you to believe he would maintain the current roster and strategy? Tampa doesn't seem to be declining via the sign the latest retiring vet strategy. This season in Tampa was an anomaly that team has a great core and will be back in the fold. Meanwhile in Detroit...

FXkYCnQ.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not sure I really want someone else's old GM. Not that I'm saying a guy like Chayka is the answer, but I don't know that any of these guys who've been around for decades are the right way to go. Find someone with the best new ideas, or someone who sees/understands where the NHL is going next year, rather than where it was last year.

I dunno. That sounds empty, and I have nothing to substantiate it, but I really don't think the team should play 'retread roulette' for the next several years, unless the guy is clearly the best in the league at his job (a la Babcock or Bowman, when they came). I don't think that's Lombardi or Sutter, regardless of what the team is doing with Holland and Blash.

I'd like Kyle Dubas for a lot of these reasons. Or Paul Fenton, if we were going to go for an older guy.

Not sure how qualified Blake and Luc are for this, but props to LA for going in a different direction when they weren't getting what they wanted. Wonder what we will do when Holland continues to talk down on aggressive re-building, when agressive re-building seems the logical course of action at this point. I imagine a couple years of 7-11 draft picks in a row might punch his ticket to the front office.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
No real surprise there, if they extend him though that is a different story.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd like Kyle Dubas for a lot of these reasons. Or Paul Fenton, if we were going to go for an older guy.

I don't know much about Fenton, but I'm slightly dubious about putting a pure-analytics guy in charge (re: Dubas). I like the idea of having a guy like that in the organization, but I'm a bit wary of putting one in complete control. Maybe Chayka will change my mind on that.

Prior to hitting submit I guess I'm talking myself into it; thinking that as long as his AGMs were hockey knowledge strong, I'd be interested to see the results and wouldn't object to that kind of hiring.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know much about Fenton, but I'm slightly dubious about putting a pure-analytics guy in charge (re: Dubas). I like the idea of having a guy like that in the organization, but I'm a bit wary of putting one in complete control. Maybe Chayka will change my mind on that.

Prior to hitting submit I guess I'm talking myself into it; thinking that as long as his AGMs were hockey knowledge strong, I'd be interested to see the results and wouldn't object to that kind of hiring.

I think Chayka has done a fantastic job so far. I don't know, Dubas is quite a convincing guy if you listen to him speak. This is a great listen if you haven't seen/heard it before:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think Chayka has done a fantastic job so far. I don't know, Dubas is quite a convincing guy if you listen to him speak. This is a great listen if you haven't seen/heard it before:

I certainly like Chayka's moves, but I'm interested to see how that team looks in 3 years. I hope they're committed to actually giving him time to prove out his strategy.

And I'll check it out as soon as I have youtube access. I know it's all a pipedream, but I'd love to find an Epstein in someone's front office.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I certainly like Chayka's moves, but I'm interested to see how that team looks in 3 years. I hope they're committed to actually giving him time to prove out his strategy.

And I'll check it out as soon as I have youtube access. I know it's all a pipedream, but I'd love to find an Epstein in someone's front office.

the problem with arizona and the 3 year reflection is that, Arizona has and will always have a hard time attracting and keeping top end talent

I simply do not see it as a market players are likely to want to stay in to the point they become perennial contenders

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
the problem with arizona and the 3 year reflection is that, Arizona has and will always have a hard time attracting and keeping top end talent

I simply do not see it as a market players are likely to want to stay in to the point they become perennial contenders

Which top end talent have they lost, aside from Ekman... er, which top end talent have they lost, as a result of being in Arizona?

Let's assume, solely for the sake of argument, that Strome, Keller and Chychrun are all studs. They have control on Domi. They have whoever they get this year. If those guys pan out, and the team starts winning, players will follow, or will stay.

I dunno, Phoenix is far from the worst destination in the NHL, if the team stops being a cellar dweller.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The "into future" part would imply that is a foregone conclusion. Welcome to purgatory, everyone.

Nah a lot can happen in a season until there is an extension there is hope. With his age we got two things working for us. If the organization isn't ready to move on then hopefully he is ready to move on.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Why is everyone talking Lombardi? KH is going nowhere.

The more pertinent point is Sutter becoming available. If KHs objective is to be a playoff team, its no often a top 5 coach becomes available.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why is everyone talking Lombardi? KH is going nowhere.

The more pertinent point is Sutter becoming available. If KHs objective is to be a playoff team, its no often a top 5 coach becomes available.

True. I just can't imagine why Sutter would choose coaching this Wings roster over spending time on his farm.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Even if there's the slimmest chance of Holland getting bumped up or out, Lombardi would be the last person on my list as a replacement.

Some of his signings are Hollandesque(Brown, Gaborik) while his trades have mostly backfired.

Plus, wasn't he one of the main guys tasked in assembling the US World Cup team that bombed?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't think the idea of Holland moving up is a possibilty if he doesn't want to.

He's under contract as the GM and I believe he'd have to accept a promotion. I don't think you can force someone under contract to take one.

Speculation on a new GM is a waste of time and energy. Holland will be the GM for the foreseeable future unless he no longer wants the position

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad