Lombardi?

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Just saw that Lombardi got the chop in LA. He seems to have a limited shelf life, and I still don't get the Ben Bishop trade, but he does have a rather good track record of building a winner overall.

LA, Dallas, Vancouver... not wasting any time. I was thinking that the Wings needed an alternative to make a move, maybe Lombardi is it?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the timing doesn't work out great with Holland still having a year left on his contract

I would be shocked if Holland didn't at least serve the full thing out and I doubt Lombardi will even still be around by then anyways

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Holland isn't going anywhere. He said as much in his last interview.

I expect he'll get an extension sometime this offseason or early next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Same, it will be interesting if it is shorter though. I don't think he is in any trouble but if they do choose to lineup his extension dates with Yzerman's contract end well things are going to get very interesting.... But he is going to have more than next year in my opinion.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How do people not get the Bishop trade? quicks health was a question and he wanted insurance it's easy to figure out

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, for as disappointed as I am in his last several years of decisions, I don't see any scenario where this organization cuts bait on him altogether, let alone a year early.

Oh PLEASE no. Retaining him in some capacity is one thing, but an extension at GM? Gag me with a rusty spoon. :thumbd:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Hollands not going anywhere. But I don't think an extension in his current capacity is a forgone conclusion either.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the point is that if Lombardi can be on the hot seat after Cups in 2012 and 2014, maybe Ken Holland's ability to dodge responsibility for not producing winning teams is finally coming to a close. Lombardi's last Cup was only 3 years ago. Holland is sitting at 9.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the point is that if Lombardi can be on the hot seat after Cups in 2012 and 2014, maybe Ken Holland's ability to dodge responsibility for not producing winning teams is finally coming to a close. Lombardi's last Cup was only 3 years ago. Holland is sitting at 9.
Shh. This is the internet. Logic is not allowed here. ;)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Something was off last night. Holland may not be as protected as we think. He'll more than likely get to finish his contract but I don't know if there isn't something up behind the scenes.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, and it's been a long, slow burn with Holland too. There's been a pattern of steady decline over nearly a decade. Can't really fault him for dipping from the heights of the '08-'09 teams, was bound to happen with Lidstrom eventually retiring anyway. But he has failed to have any real answers to mitigate the decline of this team.

His ultraconservative approach over that time frame ensured we had absolutely no one to carry the torch once the last of the old guard retired. Case in point, look at who carried the team this year. That's right, the team Holland has built post-contention would have been an undisputed bottom dweller were it not for Henrik Zetterberg. So if you take him out of the equation and evaluate this team based on what Holland has built post-2010, what exactly has he accomplished?

The country club atmosphere permeates this entire organization, clearly. At least the Kings do something when things aren't working.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Chris Ilitch has already spoken publicly about Holland since the Wings were eliminated and said that he and the family support him "absolutely"

You could make the argument that maybe he doesn't deserve that kind of support, but for whatever reason he has it and will almost certainly be offered an extension.

Much like the veteran players who get to stay Red Wings until they decide to retire, Holland will have his position until he no longer wishes to have it.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The country club atmosphere permeates this entire organization, clearly. At least the Kings do something when things aren't working.

I don't look at what the Kings did today as a positive.

Sometimes doing something just to do something is worse than doing nothing at all.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Sometimes doing something just to do something is worse than doing nothing at all.

Perhaps. But doing nothing at all (relatively speaking) for nearly a decade hasn't yielded positive results either.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Chris Ilitch has already spoken publicly about Holland since the Wings were eliminated and said that he and the family support him "absolutely"

You could make the argument that maybe he doesn't deserve that kind of support, but for whatever reason he has it and will almost certainly be offered an extension.

Much like the veteran players who get to stay Red Wings until they decide to retire, Holland will have his position until he no longer wishes to have it.

Because he said that publicly? Not saying it isn't the case but what's the alternative? Can anyone remember an owner questioning the gm publicly or even refusing to offer a statement of support? How many times have we seen a public show of support only for someone to be gone shortly after? Happens all the time.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Because he said that publicly? Not saying it isn't the case but what's the alternative? Can anyone remember an owner questioning the gm publicly or even refusing to offer a statement of support? How many times have we seen a public show of support only for someone to be gone shortly after? Happens all the time.

I've seen many owners give non-committal responses about GM's and GM's do the same about coaches. I can't think of a single owner who has so clearly backed a GM then cut him loose shortly after.

I think the odds of Holland being re-signed are about the same as the odds Zetterberg gets protected in the expansion draft.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've seen many owners give non-committal responses about GM's and GM's do the same about coaches. I can't think of a single owner who has so clearly backed a GM then cut him loose shortly after.

I think the odds of Holland being re-signed are about the same as the odds Zetterberg gets protected in the expansion draft.
I'm right there with you flashy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kings have prime Doughty/Kopitar/Quick. The expectation is to contend for the cup every year. Last time Wings had those expectations, we contended for the cup every year. Even when the expectations got lower we at least made the playoffs.
Lombardi's last cup may have been 3 years ago, but they've also missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I somewhat agree, mostly because of who they chose as their replacements.

I'm a little surprised they got rid of both Lombardi and Sutter. Lombardi did a great job building that team but has handed out several bad contracts since then. Plus not buying out Mike Richards was an incredibly costly mistake. And stripping Brown of the captaincy was a pretty radical move that did not bring great results.

It is pretty interesting to see that level of accountability though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You don't get to say our core is 35 Not 25 and then turn around and spend to the cap.

If your core isn't good enough why are you spending so much money on it

Excuses no matter what it seems

No responsibility at all

Typical for so many nowadays

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yep the Ilitches love the guy, The only way Holland is leaving is at his own choosing. And it doesn't sound like he's going anywhere any time soon.

Can't blame him. The guy has it made.

100% job security and people will just point to his past successes to deflect any criticism.

It's not like he has earned an extension based on his performance over the past five seasons.

Heck, if any other GM made the exact same moves as Holland the past five years, they would have already been fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad