Confirmed with Link: Lombardi To Phoenix for a conditional 4th

Leafs For Life*

I dont think he will be signing any short term contracts if he's able to get 70 points in a shortened 48 game season haha

That'd be 1st in each point category, but then people would say Kessel fed off of him.. haha

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There's a chance.

7 players are locks for the top 9:
Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Grabo, JVR, Kulemin, Mac

2 of these 3 will make the top 9:
Connolly, Kadri, Frattin

I don't see us playing any of Connolly, Kadri or Frattin on the 4th line, so one will have to be sent down or traded. I guess maybe Frattin could play on the 4th line, but I doubt it. Ultimately I hope we trade (or if necessary waive) both Connolly and Steckel, leaving us with:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown

Pretty decent group of forwards, and lots of good experience for Kadri and Frattin too.

Mirtle wrote an article today about McClement, apparently he expects Carlyle to play his 15-20 minutes a night in a shutdown role like he used Phalsson in Anaheim. Expect McClement to play 3rd line.

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
I honestly saw flashes of brilliance in Connolly last year. If he has a break out year, let's say 70pts between Lupes and Kessel, I wouldn't mind signing him to another 1 year stint if we don't get the 1C we need in Getzlaf.

The occasional pretty passes in the midst of him being invisible 90% of the time. I don't even think he's gonna get any minutes with Lupul and Kessel. 70 pts in a 48 game season does sound sweet!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Opens up some cap space, and opens up a roster spot.

Hard to imagine a way that that roster spot goes to Kadri, which was what the assumption was surrounding the trade as soon as it happened.

On Lombardi - unfortunately an NHL organization isn't a rehab center. I wasn't a fan of this guy staying in the NHL last year, especially when he was so obviously physically not capable of being effective.

In hindsight it helped us get a decent pick, but he should never have been playing those sorts of minutes in the NHL last year.

I wish him well though - seems a great guy and a great teammate, and apparently he's feeling in great condition. Hopefully he has a good turn around in Phoenix.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
With Lombo gone i see the lines of being something like.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel- If it aint broke dont fix it.
JVR-Grabo-Kadri- Big Body in JVR with all 3 being very creative. 2nd scoring line
Mac-McClement-Kule- Shutdown role. All are decent-good in their own end.
Komorov-Steck-Brown- Pest line.

The good thing is with a shortened season and how often we play on any given night we could see Kule/Mac move up to 2nd line. Even try Komorov there.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
Steckel has to be the next domino to fall imo,somewhat useful and wont cost and arm and leg to acquire seya!!!!

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Mirtle wrote an article today about McClement, apparently he expects Carlyle to play his 15-20 minutes a night in a shutdown role like he used Phalsson in Anaheim. Expect McClement to play 3rd line.

Steckel played similar minutes at the end of last season under Carlyle on the 4th line. I want to see what McClement brings to the table first before making any judgement on him, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the 4th line getting solid "line matching" minutes.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
#Coyotes GM Don Maloney on Lombardi trade: "this was the deal" we wanted to make prior to work stoppage.

A Burke-era trade essentially.

Unless Getzlaf signs with Ana, he's coming to TO. Too big of a fish not to fry. With our cap, we will throw $$$$$$ bricks at him. The only reason why we might not get him if he doesn't want to come. I think Burke would have brought him here but he's gone.

I don't see Connolly sticking with us unless he has like 2 pts per game. Gone by trade deadline if we're not in a playoff spot.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Why is everyone giving the spot to Kadri? Has he done anything since being drafted? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Not much. Only being PPG in AHL and one of the best fw on Marlies, also more than average stats in NHL for rookie.

btw, just scored hat-trick today in scrimmage...Coincidence? :laugh:

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Im fine with keeping Connolly/Macarthur until the deadline, they have solid value that could grow if they do well offensively.

Hoping we get a few extra picks solely based on the fact that this draft looks fairly deep.

My gut feeling is that we will not be sellers at the deadline.
I know, I know, I'm optimist... :laugh:

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I'm not sure if I'd rather just cut the condition and take the 4th so its this year, if this draft is so good. You never know, that 4th + let's say 40th overall (our second) could move us up to the early 30's for the that risky home run pick who fell out of the first round. Stocking up on picks this year not only helps cause its a great draft, but for moving up purposes.

Well, for the purpose of trade-up you can offer that other team our 2nd in this draft and Pxn 4th in 2014. Problem solved. And if that becomes 3rd - we can get better prospect potentially.
:nod:

Nazem Rielly

Aug 4, 2012
My opening day lineup after this deal:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Mac
Frattin-Kadri-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Brown

Ideal situation is Mac gets traded (I do like the guy) bumping Kadri to the second line on RW, McClement bumping up to 3rd center and Steckel (Carlyle's fav) onto the 4th

OR

One of Kadri or Frattin return to the Marlies which I don't want to see as they're both deserving of a spot

DaveT83*

Connolly + Mac gotta go.

I'm actually Ok with Stekel hanging around on the 4th line - guys a BEAST on draws. And doesn't get pushed around - he'd help insulate the smaller Brown/Komorov.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Grabo Frattin
Kadri McClement Kulemin
Brown Stekel Komorov

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Connolly + Mac gotta go.

I'm actually Ok with Stekel hanging around on the 4th line - guys a BEAST on draws. And doesn't get pushed around - he'd help insulate the smaller Brown/Komorov.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Grabo Frattin
Kadri McClement Kulemin
Brown Stekel Komorov

McClement will be used against opposing top lines. Do you really want Kadri out in those situations?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
With Lombo gone i see the lines of being something like.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel- If it aint broke dont fix it.
JVR-Grabo-Kadri- Big Body in JVR with all 3 being very creative. 2nd scoring line
Mac-McClement-Kule- Shutdown role. All are decent-good in their own end.
Komorov-Steck-Brown- Pest line.

The forward core is very impressive but I have one concern.

McClement's line is a shutdown line, Carlyle will match. MacArthur's skillset is a misused and he's not that great at shutdown D.

What should happen is that either Kadri becomes the #3C and the Leafs roll 3 scoring lines + McClement's line as a shutdown line

OR

Mac gets traded/Kadri is sent to the AHL and the remaining one becomes the winger on Grabo's line. Carlyle gets his top 6 scoring/bottom 6 defensive set up.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Gives us around 9 mil in cap space this season.

The way things are going it looks like the only positions left to fight over in camp are the two next to the hor dourves in the press box between Orr, Steckel and Connolly.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
#Coyotes GM Don Maloney on Lombardi trade: "this was the deal" we wanted to make prior to work stoppage.

I honestly thought they were going a bit bigger with it but hey it works out for both teams. I never would've thought we could get a possible 3rd round pick for him, never! Guaranteed value went up when we took on some of the contract. I loveee this new rule.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Gives us around 9 mil in cap space this season.

The way things are going it looks like the only positions left to fight over in camp are the two next to the hor dourves in the press box between Orr, Steckel and Connolly.

One thing that Burke did that can't be argued when he left. He has us in terrific position when it comes to the cap. So much freedom to do a lot of things, and we have even more space coming next year.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Another draft pick? Excellent.

Morlesio14*

I can honestly say, I'm totally comfortable with Nonis at the helm. This may have been burkes trade but its a fine trade anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad