Confirmed with Link: Lombardi To Phoenix for a conditional 4th

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder what will happen with Connolly/Kadri on the third line... Anybody think theres a chance frattin is sent down to keep Kadri up?
There's a chance.

7 players are locks for the top 9:
Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Grabo, JVR, Kulemin, Mac

2 of these 3 will make the top 9:
Connolly, Kadri, Frattin

I don't see us playing any of Connolly, Kadri or Frattin on the 4th line, so one will have to be sent down or traded. I guess maybe Frattin could play on the 4th line, but I doubt it. Ultimately I hope we trade (or if necessary waive) both Connolly and Steckel, leaving us with:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown

Pretty decent group of forwards, and lots of good experience for Kadri and Frattin too.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Sure there's a chance...if Kadri outplays him in camp, you'd think so, unless the coaches don't think Kadri can play a bottom 6 role

Historically Frattin > Kadri for call-ups. Frattin is more mature and defensively and physically developed at this point IMO. He can easily play a checking role and has a slick shot on the 3rd line.

Kadri is very very close and could easily beat Frattin out of a spot if he reaches his offensive potential this year.

I don't see management letting Connolly and his 5 mil sit. He's still our potential #1C if he gels with lupul and kessel this year. Keep him until trade deadline when his value is the highest.

Last edited:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Actually I can see Connolly being really motivated for a change with his pending UFA. If this comes true Nonis should be able to get something decent at the trade deadline for him.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I wonder what will happen with Connolly/Kadri on the third line... Anybody think theres a chance frattin is sent down to keep Kadri up?

Easily. It's a bit funny that they end up duking it out for the last spot two years in a row now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The new CBA is already paying off for us . No way we could have traded him if the Yotes had to take all his salary .

So far so good Nonis . Signed Frason to a cheap deal and now dumped Lambo .

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Ultimately I hope we trade (or if necessary waive) both Connolly and Steckel, leaving us with:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac

Pretty decent group of forwards, and lots of good experience for Kadri and Frattin too.

As a playmaker, Kadri would need players who have some finish.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
Connolly can play on all special teams which is more than can be said of his competition on this team. How many players on the Leafs are smart and crafty enough to penalty kill well? McClement comes recommended, pretty much wide open from there.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think a big reason we can send down Frattin is that he only has 3 games left to play before he becomes waiver eligible. If it's close, I go with Kadri, because at least there won't be a sense of security that they won't send him down, or something.

Plus, at this point, Kadri has been better at all levels this season, not to mention Frattin still is somewhat recovering from that ankle or knee injury.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
The new CBA is already paying off for us . No way we could have traded him if the Yotes had to take all his salary .

So far so good Nonis . Signed Frason to a cheap deal and now dumped Lambo .

Good point. Nonis is the first GM to take advantage of this new CBA provision. Well done Dave!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here is a question to the people who think Kadri won't make the team. What does he need to do to make this club, it seems to me that he's the only one that never gets a fair shake. I know his defensive game needed work but that seems to have been worked out. Caryle today criticized him a bit..just seems to me that he gets some unfair treatment considering whatever he does something good like scoring 3 goals today he gets thrown under the rug.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There's a chance.

Connolly, Kadri, Frattin

I don't see us playing any of Connolly, Kadri or Frattin on the 4th line, so one will have to be sent down or traded. I guess maybe Frattin could play on the 4th line, but I doubt it. Ultimately I hope we trade (or if necessary waive) both Connolly and Steckel, leaving us with:
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JvR - Grabo - Mac

This isn't a lineup Carlyle would have. He likes 2 scoring lines, a shutdown line and a grinding line.

If we can move Connolly:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JvR-Grabovski-Kadri/MacArthur
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin/MacArthur
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

This is what I think we'll see. If not this exact lineup, some combination of these players (possibly with Connolly).

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Looking at Kadri vs Frattin based on the numbers, Kadri is superior, even with the Leafs.

And they both had similar opportunities.

Not so sure about the similar opportunities part. Kadri didn't get much (if any) icetime on the second line, let alone on the first line (when Lupul went down) like Frattin did.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Connolly can play on all special teams which is more than can be said of his competition on this team. How many players on the Leafs are smart enough to penalty kill well?

Bozak, Kulemin, McClement. Not exactly an overflow of defensively responsible forwards.

Steckel, and Brown can be used on the PK as well, but not because of their smarts.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This trade works very well for both sides .. Clears up roster space, some cap space, and gets the Leafs a decent pick in return for a player who clearly had a rough time bouncing back from injury .. Phoenix gets a player who had a career year there two season ago, fits nicely in their line up, and has potential for a good bounce back season

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
A friend of mine bought a Lombardi jersey, and it was the 1st leafs jersey he bought. Can't wait to hassle him on it....I guess all he has to do is change the Lombadri into Kaberle :laugh:.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
There's a chance.

Connolly, Kadri, Frattin

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac

Good summary, but from everything i read McClement wasn't brought in for 4th line duty. He is going to start as 3rd line center IMO, with Steckell likely as 4th line center and situational face-off man.

Seems like a glut of forwards still....so two of Bozak, Kadri, Connoly, Macarthur. Either trade or demotion is likely. I would prefer to showcase macarthur for 15 games then try and get that 1st rounder...that would be amazing but very unlikely at this point unless he came with extension.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak, Kulemin, McClement. Not exactly an overflow of defensively responsible forwards.

Steckel, and Brown can be used on the PK as well, but not because of their smarts.

What's really missing is Clifford, Brown, type players from the line up. Too many small perimeter players, no defence behind Phanuef. This team is going to be a challenge seeing the optimistic side of it. Possible High draft pick is the only thing exciting about this season that I can see.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I'm actually happy with our offense, our defense could potentially be good as well.

It's just the goaltending position which is a huge "?"

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
I honestly saw flashes of brilliance in Connolly last year. If he has a break out year, let's say 70pts between Lupes and Kessel, I wouldn't mind signing him to another 1 year stint if we don't get the 1C we need in Getzlaf.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If we substitute Orr for Armstong and replace Lombardi with Liles and add Steckel to the wish list for the hopefully soon departed we are still left with L.O.C.K.S

As in most are LOCKS to be replaced sooner than later hopefully. ;)

:laugh:

I swear these acronyms are prophetic.

mrburke

Mar 5, 2010
kitchener
I honestly saw flashes of brilliance in Connolly last year. If he has a break out year, let's say 70pts between Lupes and Kessel, I wouldn't mind signing him to another 1 year stint if we don't get the 1C we need in Getzlaf.

I dont think he will be signing any short term contracts if he's able to get 70 points in a shortened 48 game season haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad