Online Series: Loki - season 2 starting October 6th, 2023

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Loved it. Obviously not as relevant as Black Panther, or as funny as the Guardians films, or quite as "cool, dude" as Ragnarok, but still has everything to become my favorite Marvel vehicule. It's narratively playful and could be complex enough to be pretty interesting - and well, the Loki file, with movie clips as spoilers to his life, all mounted on actual film, that was right in my alley.

I hope they don't f*** it up. WV also had great 2-3 first episodes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hope they don't f*** it up. WV also had great 2-3 first episodes.

It's always hard for the actual outcome to live up to vague and mysterious elements of foreshadowing that promise all kinds of potential.

I also got a WV vibe from it.

In terms of the aesthetics, colour schemes and framing, it reminded me a lot of Mr. Robot, which makes sense given they are both dealing with oppressive and somewhat impenetrable bureaucracies.

maxresdefault.jpg

The 50s-60s technology (lots of reel-to-reel tape and buttons) are reminiscent of Cold War sensibilities and cheery propaganda posters associated with something like Fallout.

61TEHSWr1sL._AC_.jpg

Another obvious influence is Brazil.

9b7d990a8bc73d9cfefacf9254b4ee94.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It's always hard for the actual outcome to live up to vague and mysterious elements of foreshadowing that promise all kinds of potential.

I also got a WV vibe from it.

In terms of the aesthetics, colour schemes and framing, it reminded me a lot of Mr. Robot, which makes sense given they are both dealing with oppressive and somewhat impenetrable bureaucracies.

maxresdefault.jpg

The 50s-60s technology (lots of reel-to-reel tape and buttons) are reminiscent of Cold War sensibilities and cheery propaganda posters associated with something like Fallout.

61TEHSWr1sL._AC_.jpg

Another obvious influence is Brazil.

9b7d990a8bc73d9cfefacf9254b4ee94.jpg

I know nothing about Mr Robot, but the other two are absolutely right. The "sign everything you ever said" scene convinced me I needed to re-watch Brazil!

Reactions: NyQuil

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well that was definitely more far out there than I expected. Some great character development and acting from Hiddleston. I hear the 2nd episode is even better.
Looks like we are going to be on the same page for once. :thumbu:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love where this is heading. Hoping this show will lay a lot of groundwork in this phase of the MCU, highlighting a lot of the technicalities around the multiverse.

Glad we get to see more of Hiddleston as Loki after his short, quick part in Endgame.

Also Owen Wilson is perfectly cast for his role.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Some good stuff on this podcast episode for Episode 1 if you can stand Mallory Rubin's weird voice annotations:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Cool sets, but meh episode. Hopefully mostly a setup for good stuff to come.

How could they stifle Loki's will so easily? He was like a scared dog, especially in the scene with the ticket. His mind is a bigger asset than his magic so I expected him to try something more and the TVA make a grander power demonstration for him to be so.. Weak.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

How could they stifle Loki's will so easily? He was like a scared dog, especially in the scene with the ticket. His mind is a bigger asset than his magic so I expected him to try something more and the TVA make a grander power demonstration for him to be so.. Weak.

He's a prisoner in a place where the powerful items of his realm are completely useless. His mind is what made him survive instead of succumbing to his own ego.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He's a prisoner in a place where the powerful items of his realm are completely useless. His mind is what made him survive instead of succumbing to his own ego.
Loki not succumbing to his own ego? Ok, but that he was convinced so quickly... Something just didn't jive with me with how quickly he was convinced.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Loki isn't dumb, he came to realize he had little to no chance of escaping, especially when he saw multiple infinity stones in a junk drawer and he is then told they have no power and are used as paperweights by the TVA. He is king at self preservation and that is what he is doing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Clearly he's pivoting in light of the fact that he was operating from a position of weakness.

It still didn't stop him from basically undermining their entire security system while humiliating some of their agents in the process.

mattihp said:
Loki not succumbing to his own ego? Ok, but that he was convinced so quickly... Something just didn't jive with me with how quickly he was convinced.

It has nothing to do with being cowed and everything to do with access to a power that dwarfs anything he's ever experienced.

I think he has a bit of a track record of superficially working with whatever authority happens to be around (e.g. the Grandmaster in Thor : Ragnarok). He tried the same tack with Thanos.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Loki isn't dumb, he came to realize he had little to no chance of escaping, especially when he saw multiple infinity stones in a junk drawer and he is then told they have no power and are used as paperweights by the TVA. He is king at self preservation and that is what he is doing.

Nailed it. He tried to use the Tesseract multiple times, and seeing those infinity stones in the drawer was a moment in realization that he's in over his head. You know he's just buying himself time to figure a way out. He's learned quickly that he's out of his element and is appeasing authority for his own preservation.

Reactions: mattihp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If the most powerful items known to your universe are completely useless where you are and your magicks don't work either and that doesn't convince you, what else would possibly convince you? Even if it's an illusion of some sort, it's enough to make you powerless.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Some observations that struck me.

1. The view of the city reminds me of the Jetsons.
2. The show feels like Halloween, not the movie, the season. The music, the visuals etc..

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That's what I'm f***ing talking about. Felt like a movie but with the cutoff right in the buildup of the climax.

Agree about the music being excellent, Owen Wilson being fantastic (this guy was wasted should've been used in more dramatic roles), and the cute TVA girl feeling too generic in terms of how she's all "no you can't trust this guy blah blah blah".

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It was a really fantastic episode. Hiddleston and Wilson work so well together. I think I'm on the edge of my seat more than I was for either Wandavision or Falcon and winter soldier

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Loving this so far. It’s like the intrigue of WandaVision with the action/pace of The Falcon and the Winter Solider

Wilson and Hiddleston have such great chemistry. I found myself having to deeply focus on every detail to ensure I didn’t miss anything.

Reactions: WillyNy

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Second episode was much better. I love the "buddy cop show" vibe.

And that's how the multivere was created (re-created)?

Seems like it. Definitely some vibes that this leads to the multiverse and that the motive behind the time keepers and TVA is self preservation. This lends itself to nice groundwork for Kang the the Conqueror as the next big villain seeking some type of mission to rectify the sacred timeline. Perhaps he is one of the time keepers. Really cool storyline that’s developing

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like it. Definitely some vibes that this leads to the multiverse and that the motive behind the time keepers and TVA is self preservation. This lends itself to nice groundwork for Kang the the Conqueror as the next big villain seeking some type of mission to rectify the sacred timeline. Perhaps he is one of the time keepers. Really cool storyline that’s developing

don't forget that Revonna Renslayer has a relationship to Kang in the comics!

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad