Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
D-men, without elite skills, in general... take more time to develop, especially huge D guys. Only problem with Stanley, appears to have been people's impatience level...

Citation missing... thus far the only variables that have been consistent in general terms for aging curves and such are:

1) The less good you are, the later you typically enter the league, the lower your peak, and the earlier you leave the league

2) The peak performance and aging curve relative to usage in all 3 positions is essentially the same but the usage curve is not

3) Physical and bigger players (which has some confounding overlap) has a steaper post-peak decline then those who are not

4) (EDIT FORGOT THIS ONE) Elite players retain their peak longer

Last edited:
Reactions: WiscoJet

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Never said anything about being dominate. Trying to say he was a big guy, needing to uptick the skill level and refine his game.....to some point, looks like he has.
I was addressing the impatience. It had nothing to do with patience. He was a bad pick no matter how good he turns out to be. The decision to pick him that high wasn't based in reality. It was based on hope. Praising the pick now because he's playing limited #6 minutes is called results oriented thinking which leads to making future bad decisions.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So you are saying he was too fat? What do you mean by size?
I'm saying "he's too big" has never been an argument against Stanley. It's always been an argument for Stanley regardless of who was making the argument. It's always been "it's great that he's big, but does he have the skills to go with that size" never "he's too tall to be good" which is how you characterized it.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Stanley didn't dominate junior hockey. He was good, but not great. His performance, but regular size does not get you drafted in the first round. His size didn't make him better than he was. That is the point with players like Stanley. Being big isn't some future attribute multiplier just because.

In junior though in his draft year, scouts touted Stanley as being the most improved player in the OHL. I am sure his game from the start of that year until now has been dramatic. Optimistically, Stanley continues to develop and people stating he has reached his ceiling are wrong and his ceiling is something special.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was addressing the impatience. It had nothing to do with patience. He was a bad pick no matter how good he turns out to be. The decision to pick him that high wasn't based in reality. It was based on hope. Praising the pick now because he's playing limited #6 minutes is called results oriented thinking which leads to making future bad decisions.

I am just wondering if the Jets identified the type of player he is as a future need. Management knew that Myers and Chiarot were likely going to become unaffordable in free agency. The early years of Stanley on the preseason roster, had him playing with Buff, who also had a shelf life. At some point Buff was going to decline. The Jets achieved success with their big defense. Like St. Louis did. Identifying a player who can have an impact, by using his size, is pretty good drafting to me, especially when you have invested in 4 forwards in the 1st round in 3 drafts. They instantly identified him as a project. And that's what he has been.

Now he is probably the favourite to be lost in the expansion draft. And it would likely cost a draft pick to keep him, if he keeps playing at the level he is.

I'm hoping that his performance keeps him on the team. With Poolman coming back I think it would be hard to take him out. There's a lot of positives to the way he is playing. His performance could reverberate in another defenseman, who was once the darling of these boards, Sami Niku, being waived, for the purpose of being demoted to the taxi squad. So good on Logan Stanley for doing what he was expected to do. Once he gets PK reps, and that will take awhile with Maurice, he should ascend in ice time.

Early results say we won on the Andrew Ladd trade.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Please explain this. How is Logan Stanley not exempt from being claimed in the Expansion draft if this is his 1st year with the Jets? I thought you had to have 2 qualifying years to be available in the draft?

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Call me crazy, but I think I’d rather see them lose Demelo in the expansion draft than Stanley. If Stanley turns out to be the type of player he can be those kinds of players are very hard to find. Guys like Demelo are pretty easily replaced in free agency.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm saying "he's too big" has never been an argument against Stanley. It's always been an argument for Stanley regardless of who was making the argument. It's always been "it's great that he's big, but does he have the skills to go with that size" never "he's too tall to be good" which is how you characterized it.
Stanley's post-draft development showed two things: 1) he has pretty good hockey sense and puck skills - better than his counting numbers would suggest; 2) he has a very good work ethic and attitude. If I had known for sure that he had those puck skills / IQ in him, then I might have been less annoyed with the pick.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Please explain this. How is Logan Stanley not exempt from being claimed in the Expansion draft if this is his 1st year with the Jets? I thought you had to have 2 qualifying years to be available in the draft?
Two pro seasons in the AHL: 2018-19 and 2019-20. This is his 3rd pro year.

Reactions: hn777

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Stanley's post-draft development showed two things: 1) he has pretty good hockey sense and puck skills - better than his counting numbers would suggest; 2) he has a very good work ethic and attitude. If I had known for sure that he had those puck skills / IQ in him, then I might have been less annoyed with the pick.

The trade to acquire him in the draft so far has been 100% beneficial. The 2 players on the Flyers have been busts. 1 was playing in the ECHL and the other is playing in the KHL now.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
In junior though in his draft year, scouts touted Stanley as being the most improved player in the OHL. I am sure his game from the start of that year until now has been dramatic. Optimistically, Stanley continues to develop and people stating he has reached his ceiling are wrong and his ceiling is something special.
Most improved? That's usually given to the worst at something who are no longer the worst.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Really impressed by him this year, gotta say I never thought he had this in him. Watching him live at the u18s in his draft year he looked so out of place, and I thought it was a terrible pick by the Jets. But his development this year has been excellent. Coordination has improved a ton, and his ability to move the puck is night and day from what it was before. His length and reach make up for a lack of foot speed and as he further acclimates to the NHL game his defensive ability will only get better, I also think he will improve his passing under pressure as he gets used to the speed of the league. Becoming a good complimentary 4th defensemen like Jamie Oleksiak seems like a realistic outcome. If he keeps up his play he should easily be a player worth protecting over Demelo. Have to respect the work he put in to his game

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I admit that I expected him to get walked and guys to be blowing past him on the outside in games when he was added to the lineup this season. Now I don't even clench when he's on the ice. He's a totally different player from what I remember from the Jets prospect camps and assorted preseasons games over the years.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
D-men, without elite skills, in general... take more time to develop, especially huge D guys. Only problem with Stanley, appears to have been people's impatience level...
People figured he was drafted just because of his size. Turns out pro scouts saw something in Stanley that all the armchair scouts around here missed!

Reactions: jetsairforce

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
People figured he was drafted just because of his size. Turns out pro scouts saw something in Stanley that all the armchair scouts around here missed!

I mean, I straight up know that at least two of the Jets amateur scouts felt that the Stanley pick represented a problem with their valuation process and had since changed how they do things.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I mean, I straight up know that at least two of the Jets amateur scouts felt that the Stanley pick represented a problem with their valuation process and had since changed how they do things.

Thanks for that insight, because it seemed like since that draft (which had Cederholm as well) seems like they have changed philosophies. Drafting Defensemen has never felt like a strength for us in later rounds.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
represented a problem how?
as in: they got Stanley wrong by thinking he'd never make the NHL?
or that they rated Stanley too high and it took 2 years of watching "progress" to realize that they were wrong

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad