Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’ve said it right from the start I liked the pick (partly because we already got laine and didn’t mind swinging for the fences with the Stanley pick).
I’ve watched this kid when he played for the spitfires (his draft team), where he played a limited third line behind Segachev, Day, Chatfield etc. Coming back from knee injury he had a dominating performance in the Memorial Cup
He was traded to the Rangers and there is role expanded to T4 minutes. He doubled his past point totals and started rounding out his game.
His first year on the Moose was a great surprise. After the Jets were riddled with injuries, Nogier, Schilling and Niku were called up leaving Logan with top line minutes were he preformed great.
Stanley was always deemed a long term project. Since the pick was made he has exceeded expectations every year and I still see him as a T4 defender in him.

Would love to see him and Buff on a line together! Maybe one of them can layout a certain Rangers player in Oct :naughty:

Having that extra 1st was a rare opportunity to actually gain a little ground on the other 29 teams. Using it as a bonus pick to "swing for the fences" is a way of negating that hard won advantage. It wasn't a free pick. It was the pick we paid a decent TD rental for (Ladd played pretty well for Chi). It was like being on the other end of the Hayes deal. It was important to use the pick with exactly the same care and consideration as any other 1st rd pick. Swing for the fences with 3rd and 4th rd picks.

To reasonably like the pick you have to believe that trading up for Stanley was the best alternative available. Would you honestly prefer having Stanley and Green to having Borgstrom and DeBrincat or Kuokkanen or Girard or Clague? If we had just stayed, we could have had Cholowski with that pick and Hronek with 36. There were a lot of good prospects still on the board. Chevy played it like Stanley was the last decent pick there was.

He is progressing well but he still needs to improve his skating to make it as a 3rd pair NHL D man. If he does that and becomes a solid 3rd pair player it wouldn't be out of the question for him to progress to 2nd pair but I think the probability of that is pretty low. More than zero though.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He is progressing well but he still needs to improve his skating to make it as a 3rd pair NHL D man.

This has been a problem for long enough to make me think it either isn't being addressed and won't be, or there is some physical reason why he can't skate better. Why do players just accept being bad skaters when they want to make the pros? Why not address this early on, train, practice, get f***ing better. Why get into your draft year with people pointing out STILL! "skating could be better"?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A dman at 21 isnt officially a bust. I think he has a up hill climb. I didnt have high Hope's for him when we picked him, but he is a jet and seems to be a decent kid so I'm holding out hope.

If we are having this conversation when he is 25 yeah. Remember poolman is 25.
How old is Neal Pionk :)

Just sayin'. I totally agree with you. Defensemen who are GOOD in the NHL before 25 are the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: folix

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I think we all know that team was DRW and that Jets traded up because they knew he would be gone. They would have taken him at 22 if he had still been there. Not that the threat of him being gone is any excuse for taking a 3rd rounder in the mid 1st rd.

It is interesting to hear this from his POV though.

It wasn’t Detroit actually.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Golfed with Logan at the Scheifele tournament on Friday. What a fantastic guy. Since it was draft day I asked him about his draft day and it was an interesting conversation. He and his family went for breakfast with a team that told him they were drafting him and their pick was not far from where he was selected. He would’ve been gone if the Jets hadn’t made the move. He did say the Jets were very coy with him leading up to the draft. It was a fun and interesting day with lotsa stories.

That tourney is definitely something people should do if they can. I got to hang out with Brighteyes on his hole all day, got a pic with Morrissey, and met just drafted Laine too. He had a teeeeeeny tiny spider on his ear, and I politely tapped him and told him there was a spider on his head. His reaction was friggin hilarious :laugh: Sheer terror

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
That tourney is definitely something people should do if they can. I got to hang out with Brighteyes on his hole all day, got a pic with Morrissey, and met just drafted Laine too. He had a teeeeeeny tiny spider on his ear, and I politely tapped him and told him there was a spider on his head. His reaction was friggin hilarious :laugh: Sheer terror[/QUOTE

All the players were fantastic. Not a CFL fan but the Bomber players were very outgoing as well. Great day all around.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This has been a problem for long enough to make me think it either isn't being addressed and won't be, or there is some physical reason why he can't skate better. Why do players just accept being bad skaters when they want to make the pros? Why not address this early on, train, practice, get ****ing better. Why get into your draft year with people pointing out STILL! "skating could be better"?

In fairness, I think it takes longer for a man that size to develop the foot speed and he was just growing into that body when he was drafted. All reports last year claimed that his skating is getting better. I hope he is really focusing on that in his off-season training. If he comes into TC this year with an improvement there he could step into the picture.

Everything is 'ifs' with Stanley. Always was that way. I'm content to just wait another year or two before deciding what we have got. But if Holland (or anyone else, for that matter) still likes him and would give us something good for him I would deal him in a heartbeat. I think he could be seen as a good top up added to someone else.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am one of the biggest critics of the Stanley pick here but even I think it's to early to call him a bust. But I do believe that the Heinola pick could potentially make Stanley more expendable. With guys like MoJo, Niku and Samberg it's going to be tough for even Heinola to make it. Plus we have a few more guys who have been showing well in Junior.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am one of the biggest critics of the Stanley pick here but even I think it's to early to call him a bust. But I do believe that the Heinola pick could potentially make Stanley more expendable. With guys like MoJo, Niku and Samberg it's going to be tough for even Heinola to make it. Plus we have a few more guys who have been showing well in Junior.

JMo
Samberg
Heinola
Stanley
Chisholm
Vallati

Leave Niku on the right side. Chisholm and Vallati both outscored Stanley by a fair bit in D+1. In fact their D+1's were better than his D+2. Either or both could leapfrog over Stanley. That doesn't make Stanley any less viable a prospect but it does make him expendable - if we could get an interesting offer.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
JMo
Samberg
Heinola
Stanley
Chisholm
Vallati

Leave Niku on the right side. Chisholm and Vallati both outscored Stanley by a fair bit in D+1. In fact their D+1's were better than his D+2. Either or both could leapfrog over Stanley. That doesn't make Stanley any less viable a prospect but it does make him expendable - if we could get an interesting offer.

Niku isnt good enough defensively to play his offside I dont care what he did in Finland or the AHL.

Stanley will have value with a solid sophomore season in the AHL. I'm not sure the Jets will have the wherewithal to identify that and move him when his value is high.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Speculation..... NYI as they drafted Chara b4 trading him to Ottawa in that awful milbury trade ...... for Russian Yashin.

edit NYI picked Bellows after our Stanley pick

Wouldn't have been Philly. That's who we traded up with.
NYR first pick was at 81. Did they think he would still be there?

Would whoever it was be interested in acquiring him now? What might they pay?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Logan Stanley was a late developer talent wise. In his draft year some were saying he was the most improved player in the OHL. I strongly believe he will be a solid 2nd/3rd line defenseman, who could work himself onto the PK. There is absolutely no reason to rush him to the NHL since he continues to grow as a player and there is absolutely NO concern since he was drafted as a long term project.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Niku isnt good enough defensively to play his offside I dont care what he did in Finland or the AHL.

Stanley will have value with a solid sophomore season in the AHL. I'm not sure the Jets will have the wherewithal to identify that and move him when his value is high.

Can't say for certain about Niku but I think he was pretty bad defensively in his brief trial there with the Jets. As I recall, Mau never played him on the left side again, despite opportunities to do so. It isn't just where he played in Finland and the AHL, it is also where he played in the NHL. If his defense is that weak, maybe he is not the gold plated prospect we have been expecting. Maybe another full TC gets him up to speed.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Stanley for Puljujarvi? We have quite nicely filled holes on the D as of lately for the future.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I have often compared Stanley to Morin from Phily 10 Th over all in 2013, both monsters.

morin Just finished his ELC and has been injured a lot the past 3 years. I think Stanley is more valuable at this time than Morin as Stanley has 2 more years as waiver free in the AHL to improve. Morin is waiver eligible this year and I am not sure he would even get claimed...... Have to see how Morin starts the season........ probably on the IR

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Maybe we can trade some of this excess LHD for some RHD later on?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kieffer Bellows so far has been a worse pick. 12 goals in 73 games in the AHL last year.
I was never high on Bellows as a prospect. Makes his teammates worse because he has tunnel vision and just looks to get his shot off. Stanley had more points than Bellows in the AHL last season. Enough said.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad