Lockout VI:ve la Revolution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like maybe the NHL did a bait/switch after Fehr pulled disclaimer off according to Brooks. Both sides are just being stupid. Just dumb and will not get anywhere doing that.

I normally think both sides are dicks during lockout, but that was especially dicky. I mean completely shady on the NHL's side. :rant:

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
I normally think both sides are dicks during lockout, but that was especially dicky. I mean completely shady on the NHL's side. :rant:

After all the sleazy tactics of Fehr, NHL would be fools to try to keep things on a good-will basis.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Sounds like maybe the NHL did a bait/switch after Fehr pulled disclaimer off according to Brooks. Both sides are just being stupid. Just dumb and will not get anywhere doing that.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Other day NHL would allow 7 yr contract to start at 10 and end at 4 per. Now would end at 6. Don't quite get what game theyre trying to play

Yepp, sounds like the NHL has changed what they are offering. As soon as the disclaimer deadline passed they decided to revert to less favourable terms.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Only only one of Fehr and Bettman has been running the league for the last 20 years.

So you're saying it takes 20 years from Bettman to take down the whole NHL when Fehr can do it just in 2 years? :laugh:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
A change in one term could've been made as a trade for changes in the PAs favor in another term. Conjectures that this was all post-dissolution pressure is, well, just conjecture.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
A change in one term could've been made as a trade for changes in the PAs favor in another term. Conjectures that this was all post-dissolution pressure is, well, just conjecture.

Good point. We are all just taking the word of reporters. We haven't heard anything directly from either side.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Reposting:

Quick question for those of you who have been following this more closely recently: why are they arguing about a fixed number on the cap for next season (i.e., $60M v $65M for next year's cap)? I thought they were at least arguing about a 50-50 split plus whatever amount of "make whole" money. So unless the NHL has accepted delinkage, why are they talking about a fixed figure at all for next year's salaries? Is 60 v 65 just about a play number that will be adjusted up or down to 50% through escrow? If so, why would they be arguing about it?

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Reposting:

Quick question for those of you who have been following this more closely recently: why are they arguing about a fixed number on the cap for next season (i.e., $60M v $65M for next year's cap)? I thought they were at least arguing about a 50-50 split plus whatever amount of "make whole" money. So unless the NHL has accepted delinkage, why are they talking about a fixed figure at all for next year's salaries? Is 60 v 65 just about a play number that will be adjusted up or down to 50% through escrow? If so, why would they be arguing about it?

next season is a transition year. Neither side want a principled approach to it, just something that feels right.

Captain Mittens*

Reposting:

In addition to what the poster above me put. It's a huge deal because very few teams would be able to handle a $60M cap next year. A bunch of players would have to be bought out. This would also pose another problem because the NHL also wants that buyout money to count within the players 50%

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

There was a disagreement about the pensions before the DOI elapsed.

it sounds like a rumour floated by the PA and a way to to get the players upset with the League to keep them in line.

Oh yes and of course-another way to delay an agreement. Fehr always finds a way.
How many times will he have them vote on s DOI(which doesn't require a vote) before he permits them to vote on an agreement?

This is a farce.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
The barrage of Tweets that have been going on today are so inconsistent it's mind-boggling.

I've got a strong feeling that the media has no idea what's actually going on and is just writing down whatever they run across.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Other day NHL would allow 7 yr contract to start at 10 and end at 4 per. Now would end at 6. Don't quite get what game theyre trying to play

Yepp, sounds like the NHL has changed what they are offering. As soon as the disclaimer deadline passed they decided to revert to less favourable terms.

That could be because NHL has made a lot of concessions themselves. NHLPA will give to give some as well

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
The barrage of Tweets that have been going on today are so inconsistent it's mind-boggling.

I've got a strong feeling that the media has no idea what's actually going on and is just writing down whatever they run across.

Its a strong feeling becasue thats exactly whats happening. The media has to post tidbits to stay in the public light, so they will grasp at anything.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
but really, could the leafs playoff revenues raise the cap floor enough on their own to screw the smaller markets over that much more

No not really. Say the Leafs went to the finals. If NJ can pull in 32m in playoff revenues, say the Leafs can bring in 60m (also makes the math easy).

60/2 (50%) is 30m. Basically them going to the finals would increase the cap by ~1m. Yes it's significant/noticeable that 1 team could do that, but not earth shattering by any means.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
In addition to what the poster above me put. It's a huge deal because very few teams would be able to handle a $60M cap next year. A bunch of players would have to be bought out. This would also pose another problem because the NHL also wants that buyout money to count within the players 50%

So this is to say that this season (if there is one) will not operate on a 50% cap, nor will next season? That 50% comes in in year 3?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
PA should have disclaimed and seen this coming. Bettman is the worst good-faith negotiator it's unbelievable

You're able to determine this how? The only thing I've seen is one post by Brooks. Until someone more reputable reports it (or hell even more people - who are hearing it from someone other than Brooks), it doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad