Lockout III: So close, and yet so far (Moderated: see post #295)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure what mediators would accomplish at this stage. Neither side seems to have any problems communicating what they want and mediation wasn't effective before.

FakeKidPoker*

The players will kill this season, this I am sure of.

The Toews' and Miller's of the union will kill the season and destroy the NHLPA.

The League will come back in the Summer and offer them 48 or 47% of HRR..or at least they should.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm not sure what mediators would accomplish at this stage. Neither side seems to have any problems communicating what they want and mediation wasn't effective before.

My thought process (again thinking from a tactics POV), is that if the mediators come and still don't help, the PA can cite (again OPTICS) that the NHL is being stubborn and not playing ball.

I think this is tactics and optics. I think if mediators worked without Bettman/Fehr, they might make traction-but with them in the room again I think this doesn't go far.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll

Mediation stopped because the chasm was too wide between the two sides. If the parties agee, and mediators agree, it is likely because they are substantially closer together and need someone to push the buttons of both sides in a give and take on various issues to bridge the small gap.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Bringing back the mediators tells me one of two things. A) The PA believes that they have made adequate concessions and needs a mediator to tell the NHL they've gotta move, or B) A deal is close but solid numbers can't be agreed upon.

If I werea betting man I'd go with A personally.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

The Toews' and Miller's of the union will kill the season and destroy the NHLPA.

The League will come back in the Summer and offer them 48 or 47% of HRR..or at least they should.

The owners will kill this season, this I am sure of.

The Jacobs and Leipolds of the NHL will kill the season and the destroy the NHL.

... never mind. :shakehead

Really? I would think it would viewed more as a time-waster than anything else.

Squeezing in 60 games can be good motivation.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Fehr is loosing big time and he knows it. He wants top cover his sorry ass... I hope ALL the players would have a chance to vote on the last owner's offer. I am pretty sure 75% would accept it. THIS is democracy.

No, this is Fehr. He doesn't want to go so early, he wants to blow up the league like he did with the MLB. Fehr is not ready to go yet.

Maybe you guys are forgetting this the business board. Can you try to make cogent business cases instead of littering this board with what passes for posts on the NHL Talk board?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
The owners will kill this season, this I am sure of.

The Jacobs and Leipolds of the NHL will kill the season and the destroy the NHL.

... never mind. :shakehead

Squeezing in 60 games can be good motivation.

They won't get 60 games, I would assume the owners know this. So they can kiss their 100% sponsorships good-bye.

Also, any leverage that the PA thinks they hold with this is all but gone, they get 75% of the cash if the play more than 41 games. So, create a 42 game schedule, get 75% of the sponsorships and pay 50% of the salaries.

Enough is enough with this **** show. It's time for both sides to swallow some pride and get things done.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North

Actually I don't think the league will be thinking of HRR if this goes to summer- they'll be thinking of how to fight anti-trust suits after PA decertification.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
They won't get 60 games, I would assume the owners know this. So they can kiss their 100% sponsorships good-bye.

Also, any leverage that the PA thinks they hold with this is all but gone, they get 75% of the cash if the play more than 41 games. So, create a 42 game schedule, get 75% of the sponsorships and pay 50% of the salaries.

Enough is enough with this **** show. It's time for both sides to swallow some pride and get things done.

Probably accurate, but this is the downside to brinksmanship as the strategy of choice for negotiations.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Re-posting from the links thread to get some meat into this discussion:

Friedman:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/12/nerves-frayed-as-nhl-negotiations-intensify.html
Nerves frayed as NHL negotiations intensify
There was an animated conversation in a hallway between Daly and Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs witnessed by reporters. Daly reportedly talked Jacobs out of leaving the meetings following a verbal confrontation with Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller.
Miller, reached by email, said: "Really? I don't have any recollection of that or why [Jacobs'] opinion would be that."

There had been reports of a vent session by Miller about the owners' approach, iirc.

He expands on the pension aspect:

With "make-whole," there were reports last night (one of them mine) that the NHL upped its offer from $211 million to $300 million. That's closer to the NHLPA's last known request of $393 million. But later, there was a catch -- that $50 million of it would be for pension funding. That's a tricky one and sure to annoy the players. Here's why:

Due to differing pension laws in the United States and Canada, players based in the U.S. can receive approximately $20,000 more per year in tax-free contributions from their clubs. It's a nice little selling point for the American squads because if you play north of the 49th, you lose a good chunk of that difference to taxes.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think it is time for NHLPA members to call their union reps and ask for a vote on the latest proposal from the owners.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie I have been told that's a significant factor, yes. @brianlawton9

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
NHL firm stance on 5 yr term limit reflects ownership belief that long term deals on books are liability regarding franchise sales

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Heres question confronting PA: Can players get better deal in 3,4 weeks if this falls thru and would it compensate for loss of further gms?
Also mentions that transition issues have yet to be discussed.

Longterm contracts on books lower franchise values, per Brooksie's tweet/source. I suppose that is only an issue if you plan on selling the franchise over that term. ;)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think it is time for NHLPA members to call their union reps and ask for a vote on the latest proposal from the owners.

I was under the impression that players have been calling in to the internal PA meeting this entire day.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun Players from around the league have called into internal NHLPA meetings all day long... Crunch time. Big decisions being made on next step

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Maybe you guys are forgetting this the business board. Can you try to make cogent business cases instead of littering this board with what passes for posts on the NHL Talk board?

He's pointing out that the players lost on the major issue they're fighting over when they rejected the October 26th offer. They're never going to see that much money again. Fehr should have to run from his membership on that count.

It would be one thing if the players were demanding 57% indefinitely, or 60%, because even if they didn't get it, they would be asking for something more than they lose by fighting. As soon as your request is smaller than the cost of negotiating, only a fool keeps negotiating.

And because I hear this every damn time, recall that owners make less than players by a factor of 10, so this doesn't apply the same to them.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Whatever happens, NHLPA members should be able to have a full vote on the latest offer on the table.

Let's hope that militatants like Miller and Toews won't derail the entire process.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Friedman on CBC believes that there are enough players wanting to vote on the NHL proposal to force the PA into action should the PA leadership fail to grab the opportunity to cut their losses.
The moderates usually outweigh the hardliners.

I would think so too. If you shake off the ghost of CBAs past and look at what is currently proposed it probably better than the CBAs of the other leagues and a ten year CBA will hopefully grow the game enough to purge the constant need for conflict.

I think if the players had a vote today, the owners proposal would pass.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I was under the impression that players have been calling in to the internal PA meeting this entire day.

...and they should put what is on the table to a vote.

I would think so too. If you shake off the ghost of CBAs past and look at what is currently proposed it probably better than the CBAs of the other leagues and a ten year CBA will hopefully grow the game enough to purge the constant need for conflict.

I think it would pass and there would be a new 10-year CBA. I am sure the majority of the NHLPA isn't ready to go to war over the 5-year contract limit and the 5% variance issue. Seems like most of the splitting of the revenue and make-whole provisions have been hashed out.

Time to get back to work.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Also mentions that transition issues have yet to be discussed.

Longterm contracts on books lower franchise values, per Brooksie's tweet/source. I suppose that is only an issue if you plan on selling the franchise over that term. ;)

Who knows exactly what will happen over 14 years. Things change, people change. Teams have every reason to get rid of these contracts. However unless it's in the CBA, they're going to get hit with collusion charges.

Get the term limits, and drop the variance (or increase it to 25-30%). On a 5 or 7 yr deal it's not that much of an issue.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Other than stalling, what is the purpose of bringing back non-binding mediation?

If they are really that close, they should be able to get a deal done without them. I don't see the owners changing their minds on anything significant because of a mediator.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I think a vote on the October 26th offer would've passed. The bottom half of every roster is never going to see a long, front-loaded contract or work a FA bidding war. More than half the players in the league will have careers of six years or less. They know they're getting ****ed a lot more by not playing than a 12% rollback could ever do.

There's no doubt in my mind that a vote would pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad