Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
lol I love that the mediators took 2 days and threw their hands up and just went home. No hope for this season.

it's not the mediators who decide the mediation is over...it's the parties. if both the nhl and nhlpa wanted to continue, the mediators would stay.

DyerMaker66*

Absolutely it is. Doesn't mean I like it, or agree with it. However in a CBA negotiation, either side can ask for whatever they want... whether they get it is a different matter.

The PA could just as easily be asking for a single room for every player, and 50% more on per-diems.

Just like the NHL is asking for an extra year to FA, contract caps, etc. Them asking for it doesn't mean they'll receive it.

But that's exactly why we're at this point right now: The NHL went too far in their own favour and the PA did the same and neither side wants to move.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is almost comical now.

That's the best way to describe it now.

I wonder if they really tried. I wonder if they really took this seriously.

It's like both sides are pathologically driven to kill a season for no reason whatsoever.

Lemmings over a cliff is right.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On the NBA: perhaps so, but then the cap dropped down to 44% later on, according to your link. That's just the same thing as the NHL's make whole provision, in effect.

As for what you said about the NFL, the requirement to spend to the cap isn't germane here, and I see nothing in the link about the 47% and how you get there.

Still, thanks for the effort, but I think my point stands (at least until there's some better info on the table). And even if it doesn't, would it be so crazy for a league that makes half of what these other league's make to ask its players to take less? The fixed costs of running a franchise are likely to be similar, so if the total take is less, then the player's take should be less as well.

If you're going to just read links without thinking about them, what's the point of this conversation

In the NBA, the Cap is soft. That means that the Cap threshold is going to be lower than the linkage point. In the last CBA, the cap was calculated at 51%, but linkage was at 57%.

The requirement to spend to the Cap matters, because that requirement wasn't previously there. It means the player % will be higher in those years when the requirement is in place.

As for 47% in the NFL, that info is all over the place. I believe the players will max out at 48-49%. Look it up. In addition to all that, the NFL expanded their definition of revenue.

Last edited:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Another great use of time. I have been thinking we get a partial season in through this entire process, but I'm beginning to worry now.

Actually more tired of this nonsense than anything.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Daly: "After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart,...

Dan Rosen Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Daly: "and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time. ...

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Daly: "We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful." End quote.

I like the way he makes it sound like the NHL was an accidental tourist to the mediation and it was ultimately the mediators who decided there would be no deal :laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Both sides are just too dug into their positions now. If Friedman is right about the players and those movement towards decert-I think this might be all she wrote for the season.

I was thinking maybe mediation might move some stuff forward, but todays stuff does not sound encouraging.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
It makes sense if you think about it. It's not as if both sides don't know where the middle ground is for their proposals. The problem is neither side wants to move towards it. As a mediator, you know what each party wants and what the endgame will resemble but neither party want to move towards it, what do you do? You leave and wish them the best of luck in this game of chicken.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
wow, you really dont get it.

its a joke... Saying they contracted all 30 teams. No more teams. No hockey being played. Not that hard to understand.

So when this gets settled there will be 30 new expansion teams? :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA According to multiple sources Bettman proposed to D. Fehr a meeting between owners and players only, w/ no league or PA staff present.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
#CBA According to multiple sources Bettman proposed to D. Fehr a meeting between owners and players only, w/ no league or PA staff present.

That sounds like it would yield disastrous results.

On one hand you'd have people who know what they're talking about while the players would have no idea what's going on (not meant as a attack, the players aren't businessmen after all)

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

I'm actually intrigued by this. Get rid of the middle men and see how far apart both sides really are. Sure it is a volatile situation but it's already teetering and about to fall anyway so what's the loss?

If Fehr says no, I'm excited to see the reason why and what some players may think.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Maybe the only way to send a message now is by cancelling seasons tickets and saying to ***** with it all.

I know right now I'll never go to another Flames game as long as I'm living in town. I've got better things to do than support those clowns. They can move somewhere else for all I care now.

See you in April!

M A K A V E L I*

Yep. It's done.

It's not done. It makes no sense for the owners to lose the entire season over the amount of $ the NHL & PA are fighting over.

The most likely scenario is that they're going to try to squeeze as much as possible out of the players until late Dec and if there is no deal, they'll probably offer to cover 50% of the $ separating the 2 sides and get the season going.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie
That sounds like it would yield disastrous results.

On one hand you'd have people who know what they're talking about while the players would have no idea what's going on (not meant as a attack, the players aren't businessmen after all)

Why? considering there is absolutly no results now it can only get better, besides it will let both sides ask the other qustions where they might not in the presence of bettman and Fehr.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But that's exactly why we're at this point right now: The NHL went too far in their own favour and the PA did the same and neither side wants to move.

Agreed. However at some point one of the sides will move... but until then nothing is going to happen.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Does anyone have any details on this NHLPA disclaimer of interest? It seems pretty self-explanitory but you never know.

atomic

Jul 2, 2006

Can the owners fight? Even if they could they would be horribly outnumbered and there would be no linesemen to break it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad