Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I hate hate HATE the radio.com mobile app holy crap. What is the point of downloading episodes through the app if the app requires an internet connection to function???

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
To prevent buffering.

Which is completely counter-intuitive, or misleading at best. Downloading implies that you can listen to it anywhere. I honestly preferred the old app where it did buffer everything at once, made it a lot less of a PITA to work with.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What nonsense are "Schopp and the Bulldog" serving us??????:ha:
They claim a 4 hour live show, but it's only 3 and a half hours!!!!!!:(
The last half hour (between 6:30pm - 7:00pm), it's recorded (a repeat) from an earlier guest they had during the day!
No guest today? No problem...just repeat Paul Hamilton, Rob Ray, whomever.
In other words, they claim a four hour live show, but leave the show in 3 and a half hours.
If I want to hear an earlier guest of the show, I can always hear it from "On Demand Audio".
I don't need to hear the same content live twice in one day.
In other words, they are cheating a half hour worth of content, every show.
I wonder what would happen if you or I try that with our jobs.....
We pretty much know what the result would be...….:sarcasm::skeptic:;)

P.S. I listened to about 10 shows and I am out!!!!!
I can't help it but to feel I'm being made fun of.
Good Bye "Schopp and the Bulldog".

Do you really listen to the radio for 4 consecutive hours between 3pm and 7pm?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What nonsense are "Schopp and the Bulldog" serving us??????:ha:
They claim a 4 hour live show, but it's only 3 and a half hours!!!!!!:(
The last half hour (between 6:30pm - 7:00pm), it's recorded (a repeat) from an earlier guest they had during the day!
No guest today? No problem...just repeat Paul Hamilton, Rob Ray, whomever.
In other words, they claim a four hour live show, but leave the show in 3 and a half hours.
If I want to hear an earlier guest of the show, I can always hear it from "On Demand Audio".
I don't need to hear the same content live twice in one day.
In other words, they are cheating a half hour worth of content, every show.
I wonder what would happen if you or I try that with our jobs.....
We pretty much know what the result would be...….:sarcasm::skeptic:;)

P.S. I listened to about 10 shows and I am out!!!!!
I can't help it but to feel I'm being made fun of.
Good Bye "Schopp and the Bulldog".
Yes that’s been a pet peeve of mine for years. And if you count their five minute sitcom intros at the beginning of every segment, and then commercials, I’d wager there’s less than 2 and a half hours of actual content. It’s a great scam.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You almost have to in order to get any sports related news. They go on and on through some tangents like what they had for dinner for 20 minute pops or some other nonsense. It's not really a sports show as much as it is a self glorification show from themselves. I don't know which one it is, Bulldog or Schopp, but one of them is constantly condescending towards callers. Just a terrible show all around imo.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
You almost have to in order to get any sports related news. They go on and on through some tangents like what they had for dinner for 20 minute pops or some other nonsense.
That seems to be the case with most sports radio talk shows I've listened to. They spend at least half the time talking about nonsense not even related to sports.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
You almost have to in order to get any sports related news. They go on and on through some tangents like what they had for dinner for 20 minute pops or some other nonsense. It's not really a sports show as much as it is a self glorification show from themselves. I don't know which one it is, Bulldog or Schopp, but one of them is constantly condescending towards callers. Just a terrible show all around imo.
It’s Schopp, and it’s disusting how mean he is.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I love that Schopp refuses to acknowledge callers who say "hi how are you guys?" Lol. It's a peeve of his about wasting airtime and people won't listen. Ironic considering the crap they do talk about.
So when a caller says hi how are you guys? Bulldog has to jump in or they have dead air. It's a simple human trait to say hi how are you. Schopp, not so smart guy.
Schopp also can't stand internet message board people like you and I. He mocks us all as losers.
At this point I am not really listening to WGR when I don't need to. Screw them.

Reactions: Husko

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I love that Schopp refuses to acknowledge callers who say "hi how are you guys?" Lol. It's a peeve of his about wasting airtime and people won't listen. Ironic considering the crap they do talk about.
So when a caller says hi how are you guys? Bulldog has to jump in or they have dead air. It's a simple human trait to say hi how are you. Schopp, not so smart guy.
Schopp also can't stand internet message board people like you and I. He mocks us all as losers.
At this point I am not really listening to WGR when I don't need to. Screw them.

That idiosyncrasy is one of my favorites about him. As if he runs such a tight show that 10 seconds of civility ruins everything. And as you said, it often screws up the tenor of the call for a sentence or two.

And yet, when he has a guest on the show, he felates then with gushing praise and seldom any push back against points he has made before.

It really shows how little respect he has for his audience.

Side rant. One of my favorite times this occurred, despite being a dope as well, was when Paul Hamilton went after Schopp about his face offs don’t matter rants. Schopp shriveled up like a 9th grader about to be shoved into his locker.

Sabreskin

Aug 16, 2016
Vermont
Sometimes, yes. So what is it to you about my radio listening habits???? What do you care what I do???? Come on man. I'm talking "apples" and you "oranges". And by the way, I don't need to excuse myself of how I listen to the radio or whatever else I do to you (5 Minute Major), to Baccus, or to anybody else.. I live in Vermont, so I doubt anything I do directly concerns/affects any of you in Buffalo or wherever you live.
I don't need to hear all 4 hours (and as I mentioned I don't listen to them anymore), to realize that they are simply repeating a previous segment. I can always go to "On Demand Audio", to hear something for the first time or the nth time.)
The boys from 7:00 - 9:00 pm (The Nightcap), do a much better job.
So, is 2 hours straight listening to the radio ok you????
Are my braincells intact and still functioning?????
Thanks for your concern.:)

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Sometimes, yes. So what is it to you about my radio listening habits???? What do you care what I do???? Come on man. I'm talking "apples" and you "oranges". And by the way, I don't need to excuse myself of how I listen to the radio or whatever else I do to you (5 Minute Major), to Baccus, or to anybody else.. I live in Vermont, so I doubt anything I do directly concerns/affects any of you in Buffalo or wherever you live.
I don't need to hear all 4 hours (and as I mentioned I don't listen to them anymore), to realize that they are simply repeating a previous segment. I can always go to "On Demand Audio", to hear something for the first time or the nth time.)
The boys from 7:00 - 9:00 pm (The Nightcap), do a much better job.
So, is 2 hours straight listening to the radio ok you????
Are my braincells intact and still functioning?????
Thanks for your concern.:)

Then why bitch about them if you don’t listen to them? :huh:

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Is there a good hockey talk show to listen to? Ive streamed wgr on my commute from time to time because I get nostalgic for Buffalo, but I’d like to change it up for so w better hocney discussion.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Is there a good hockey talk show to listen to? Ive streamed wgr on my commute from time to time because I get nostalgic for Buffalo, but I’d like to change it up for so w better hocney discussion.

There’s a few podcasts that aren’t terrible.
Pdocast and I think the athletic has one.
Steve Dangle has one if you can stomach a lot of Leaf talk.

The Hockey Guy on YouTube is entertaining and he looks the son from King of the Hill.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I hate hate HATE the radio.com mobile app holy crap. What is the point of downloading episodes through the app if the app requires an internet connection to function???

Yeah it's awful. Terrible layout, crashes all the time.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Radio.com app is garbage.

I’ll use it once in a bit. But the previous app was actually decent.

Also, how much better would GR be if they swapped out Schopp for Brad Riter(sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce