Post-Game Talk: lo****ingl

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
These are mostly opinions and not facts. Like all the arm chair goalies here, you're jumping to conclusions. Oh, but wait, you guys have been watching goalies for a long time so you know just as much as people that have played and coach the position. Am I correct?

I've already gave a half-page post about what Mrazek needs to work on before he can be considered a starter. He's not as good as Howard. Period. The only reason why they go with Mrazek is because he gets hot with the chance he's given and that presents the better chance to win a game. It's not because he's a better goalie than Howard, because he isn't. At least not yet. He will be, for that matter.

I'm not opposed to running with Mrazek if he's the hot hand, it gives them a better chance to win. At the end of the day that's all that matters. But, frankly, I'm kind of tired of people pretending they know the ins and outs of goaltending when they don't. The only thing Mrazek is better at is moving the puck, and perhaps giving the Red Wings a better chance at winning a hockey game given the current circumstances.

I pretty confident in my understanding of what makes a good goalie and how to analyze them.

He's better than Howard right now imo but never said Mrazek was perfect. No doubt he has areas he can improve in. But to me it's not about what he has to improve at, it's about what he excels at. His vision (seeing pucks through traffic), reflexes/athleticism (natural ability), puck playing ability, and aggression are four things that clearly standout as superior to Howard. Attributes like his superior vision and puck playing ability are two things that really help this team. Our defense struggles to clear bodies in front of the net and Howard struggles with pucks through traffic. Superior puck playing ability is also very beneficial to our defense to help them setup and execute a quick breakout.

I think you're being disingenuous to seemingly suggest Mrazek is a raw prospect with a long way to go to being a starter. His development has been linear throughout, quickly proving himself at every level. He'd probably be starting for half the teams in the league if they had him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A PP is not a pure "talent" advantage, it's a numbers game. Your point would be valid if the PKing team ran lines as usual and each PP unit didn't spread the wealth but they do. The PKing team puts their best defensive talent out there (to go up against a cadre of top 9 forwards, not too 3) the likes of which make careers out of shutting down offensive skill. Regardless, it's absurd to knock our talent up front.

I think it's telling that we suck offensively 5 on 5 but we're great on the PP now that it is designed around our forwards and not inept defenseman. And as good as Zidlicky looks on our PP, he hasn't, to my knowledge, made it more effective where he has made it more versatile.

It's also pretty telling that we have big and/or antagonizing bodies going to the net and actually producing more so than we ever have in recent years. Helm, Glen, Abby and Cole were all offensive afterthoughts and Sheahan was not here for the entire year. So why, now that we are actually better equipped and balanced up front are we struggling so much to produce 5 on 5?

I think a big part of it has to do with the shot selection from our defenseman. The bulk of the defenseman fail to get shots through and that's where you get a lot of those second and third chances. The below average breakouts that keep us from entering the offensive zone with numbers is also a problem. The teams breakout is dictated much more by our forwards who don't have the puck than our defenseman who do.

I think it comes back to our D, too. but it's been something of discussion all season, and most of last season, and not a whole lot has changed apart from dealing for Zidlicky for the last quarter of this season. I still think the East is weak enough that we could make some noise with a bit of luck this post-season, but Holland and Co. desperately need to look in the mirror a bit and just admit the blueline needs overhauled regardless of how they do it.

If they can sign Green and/or trade for someone, great. If not, at least bring up a couple of kids and move out a couple of vets who have clearly not been getting it done anyway.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Nah we've got three perfectly good defensive lines. Kronwall, Zidlicky, and DeKeyser.

...now all we need to do is get them each a partner to play with

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Nah we've got three perfectly good defensive lines. Kronwall, Zidlicky, and DeKeyser.

...now all we need to do is get them each a partner to play with

Zidlicky is rather short term and Kronwall's departure will need to be addressed sooner rather than later - would hate for Kronwall's exit to be addressed years after he leaves like Kenny is trying to do with Lidstrom....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
he wants to spin things that way so babs and his ultimate trap, D first system looks better and holland looks worse.

even with all the injuries last year, we has more shots and scored way better. luck probably has it's role on that but doesn't explain all of it. and this is way better team than last years.

Actually I've been calling for the youth movement that officially began in earnest this season. :yo:

I think a big part of it has to do with the shot selection from our defenseman. The bulk of the defenseman fail to get shots through and that's where you get a lot of those second and third chances. The below average breakouts that keep us from entering the offensive zone with numbers is also a problem.

This part should be read on the day Ken Holland "officially" checks out as Red Wings GM. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad