OT 19/3: Live Sports. ESPN+ Originals. The Exclusive Home of the Complete 30 for 30 Library. Exclusive Articles and Tools. Top Leagues and Tournaments.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Everyone: Florida sucks! Worst state ever!

Also everyone:

Florida saw a bigger jump in new residents than every state but one

Not to get overly political but if one connects the dots and you can see how those trends figured into the 2020 election results quite neatly.

Edit: funny enough my childhood home built in 1982 that my parents bought for $60,000 at what was once-upon-a-time in the Pasco County Boonies retails for $269,989. Wrap your head around nearly 40 year old properties retailing that much and ask yourself how long that can possibly sustain.

More importantly.... why the HELL would you come to Florida when this is the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not to get overly political but if one connects the dots and you can see how those trends figured into the 2020 election results quite neatly.

Edit: funny enough my childhood home built in 1982 that my parents bought for $60,000 at what was once-upon-a-time in the Pasco County Boonies retails for $269,989. Wrap your head around nearly 40 year old properties retailing that much and ask yourself how long that can possibly sustain.

More importantly.... why the HELL would you come to Florida when this is the case?
60k in 1982 is 166k now, accounting for inflation. Given that you indicate that it's not the boonies anymore, and the price makes sense.

Age of the building alone doesn't determine value. You can go to a well-maintained historic district and everything can be more expensive than a McMansion built in the mid-2000's. It all depends.

As for people moving to Florida. Health care workers in significant numbers are refusing to be vaccinated. Riverside County in CA is something close to 50%. This is who we are.

I've read theories about how we're fundamentally consumers, rather than citizens. Responsibilities aren't for us when we can choose to shop around.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
60k in 1982 is 166k now, accounting for inflation. Given that you indicate that it's not the boonies anymore, and the price makes sense.

Age of the building alone doesn't determine value. You can go to a well-maintained historic district and everything can be more expensive than a McMansion built in the mid-2000's. It all depends.

As for people moving to Florida. Health care workers in significant numbers are refusing to be vaccinated. Riverside County in CA is something close to 50%. This is who we are.

I've read theories about how we're fundamentally consumers, rather than citizens. Responsibilities aren't for us when we can choose to shop around.

Let me start by saying you're right. The 166k figure adjusted for inflation is also in line with the 2000's and even before the 1980's. When it's all said and done it'll go back to that same quotient adjusted for inflation. What is $180k in say 2024 we will discover is the same as $60k in 1982. I guess what I'm trying to say now (poorly) is that for now though there's a temporary and significant mark up that is in need of correcting itself. The other home my mom bought is valued at $230k and believe me FP.... that's too much. Now if you said worth that 166k sweet spot you mention then yeah I'd agree.

But enough on that because things can and will work itself out just fine. I guess I'm just astounded people can continue to afford Florida housing like that.

I actually didn't know Riverside County CA has so many healthcare workers not vaccinating. It makes me wish I could talk to them. Their point of view may perhaps change my own. Because I don't talk about it often but in my past life I was a medical/surgical RN and had I still been in that area I'd have been getting all the COVID patients. And that alone has me ready to take whatever steps are necessary to protect my family and myself.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Let me start by saying you're right. The 166k figure adjusted for inflation is also in line with the 2000's and even before the 1980's. When it's all said and done it'll go back to that same quotient adjusted for inflation. What is $180k in say 2024 we will discover is the same as $60k in 1982. I guess what I'm trying to say now (poorly) is that for now though there's a temporary and significant mark up that is in need of correcting itself. The other home my mom bought is valued at $230k and believe me FP.... that's too much. Now if you said worth that 166k sweet spot you mention then yeah I'd agree.

But enough on that because things can and will work itself out just fine. I guess I'm just astounded people can continue to afford Florida housing like that.

I actually didn't know Riverside County CA has so many healthcare workers not vaccinating. It makes me wish I could talk to them. Their point of view may perhaps change my own. Because I don't talk about it often but in my past life I was a medical/surgical RN and had I still been in that area I'd have been getting all the COVID patients. And that alone has me ready to take whatever steps are necessary to protect my family and myself.
Riverside is on the higher side of refusals, but 20-40% of LA county is the same story.
Some healthcare workers refuse to take COVID-19 vaccine, even with priority access

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Riverside is on the higher side of refusals, but 20-40% of LA county is the same story.
Some healthcare workers refuse to take COVID-19 vaccine, even with priority access

That was a truly great read. I actually appreciate it. The case of Mrs. Lu not taking it because she was pregnant is understandable and I can get why people are skeptical of the effectiveness and that Big Brother is rarely transparent. But unfortunately for me I'm in the "literally can't afford to get sick and quarantine for 2 weeks" demographic and I'll suck up nasty side effects over losing half a month of pay.

At the risk of pushing too much personal opinion or agenda I truly wish we had done things differently from the start because hundreds of thousands of people would not have died and I think there would be less concern for a vaccine many waited such a long time for.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The doctors are getting vaccinated. It's the nurses who really don't know as much as they let on that are being needlessly paranoid about it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can we discuss how in WW84,
the guy whose body gets taken over is used to commit crimes? There's *the bigger issue* of course, but WW just sort of dumps all these criminal acts on this dude, like stealing the jet, and breaking into the White House.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Feels weird being in the Central Division part of the forum now.

It really is the darnedest thing. But I'm alright with it because of the fact our boys aren't gonna have to hitch ride to Canada for a routine road game this year. This is gonna be the easiest travel schedule the Lightning have had in terms of distance since the Thrashers were a team.

#Lightning Get All The Lucky Breaks

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Batman Ninja. It's on HBO Max, and it's real. It's not great, but it's real.

A bunch of Batman characters are transported to feudal Japan.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not talking about the politics of it, but as a Floridian and greater Orlando resident, I get the sass Washington DC leadership (mayor/police) has for ill-mannered visitors.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
What if a study came out that said the sweepers in curling do nothing?

mind blown.gif

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So we're all watching the NFL game on Nickelodeon, right?

edit: Manti T'eo is on the Bears? He can teach kids the power of imagination.

I like how they acknowledge that it's one of their on-air people's first football game. You don't get that transparency in hockey broadcasts.

What's nuts to consider is that this is a playoff game of all things. There's a possibility some players will cry after they lose today.

Ray Lewis reference during Nickelodeon game.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What happens when you like the stock for one second.

giphy.gif

Diamond hands until Friday.

edit: or you hit your stop loss (like me) because the meme was going to end eventually

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What's interesting about the GME movie stuff is that part of what drew support for GameStop was that Michael Burry had become an investor. Burry was the guy played by Batman in The Big Short.

So all these companies rushing to make movies based off the GameStonk story have to deal with the fact that The Big Short as a movie exists in their own movie.

Robinhood has also removed all trade restrictions, including GME, so anyone holding could be on Pluto today. I don't think there will be some parabolic Volkswagen 2008 event, as by now hedge funds would have had ample time to have legged out of their shorts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad