LIV Golf: the line that pro sports has crossed that will be its demise?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The previous event in Boston was a home run. In the final 10 minutes of play it went from looking like DJ was going to walk away with it, to looking like Westwood would win with a 60, and then to looking like Lahiri would win with an eagle on his last hole. Ended up being a three man playoff and DJ dropped a bomb on the first playoff hole for eagle.

The shotgun start sounds cheesy but it's actually really exciting.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The previous event in Boston was a home run. In the final 10 minutes of play it went from looking like DJ was going to walk away with it, to looking like Westwood would win with a 60, and then to looking like Lahiri would win with an eagle on his last hole. Ended up being a three man playoff and DJ dropped a bomb on the first playoff hole for eagle.

The shotgun start sounds cheesy but it's actually really exciting.

Surprised DJ cared enough to try to win considering the prize money would just go against his initial payment.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You aren’t paying attention if you think a “merger” is happening. There can only be one King. Saudi’s aren’t giving away all this money to end up with the PGA logo anywhere.

And in no way is this growing golf, if anything it’s turning golf into boxing with so many titles and belts and tournaments nobody can track and everyone ends up a loser. (Well except all the guys that got paid in advance by LIV)
Boxing and the Indy car split in the 90s. Neither sport holds the place it did.

I guess I can’t fault players for taking the money in preparation for a post-Tiger landscape, but it could push golf back down the ladder of things (American) sports fans care about.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
They're gonna get a big tv deal in the US at some point. You might see some more defectors after the President's Cup. They're throwing so much money into this thing that they can wait for the highest bidder when the time is right.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Turned to watch it on CHCH to watch Cam Smith make one approach shot. Then I could hear the music blaring in the background. That was about it for me.

They're gonna get a big tv deal in the US at some point. You might see some more defectors after the President's Cup. They're throwing so much money into this thing that they can wait for the highest bidder when the time is right.

I have no idea what end game is on this thing. It seems like there is absolutely zero thought given to making this a sustainable product; it is more like a lottery winner spending their winnings until they go bankrupt.

It seems now that the Masters will dictate how this goes moving forward. If they freeze out the LIV players, the other Majors will follow suit. I hope they do.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
a channel on Canadian TV I guess I dunno I hardly watch basic cable and heard of the channel for the first time today. however it was on basic cable here im like 45mins away from Toronto

Apparently the only show one round of golf, they only have the rights to show Saturday play from what I read

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Apparently the only show one round of golf, they only have the rights to show Saturday play from what I read
Im not sure if this is a rerun but I think my Dad has it recording since they are out Golfing.
for the record my Dad doesn't support the LIV at all or well I guess in a way by watching it he is but he has the same mindset as alot of you guys in here but curious to see it I assume

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Can't get a TV deal for the life of them, turned down by Apple and Amazon. Not looking good for profitability.

Unfortunately that doesn't matter at all and they can just keep dumping money into it to sportswash their image.

Reactions: PBandJ

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For the LIV fans out there, explain to me how I’m supposed to contextualize the ability of the LIV players.

I’ve barely watched any LIV. Maybe 20 minutes the first event. From what I’ve read, it sounds like DJ is the best LIV player right now. That’s great, but how do I know where he stands compared to the best golfers in the world? He’s played half a season with LIV, so he’s so far removed from the biggest golf events that I don’t know how he currently compares anymore. He could be the best LIV player and only the 15th best player in the world.

This is one of the biggest problems for LIV. We can’t contextualize any of it.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
For the LIV fans out there, explain to me how I’m supposed to contextualize the ability of the LIV players.

I’ve barely watched any LIV. Maybe 20 minutes the first event. From what I’ve read, it sounds like DJ is the best LIV player right now. That’s great, but how do I know where he stands compared to the best golfers in the world? He’s played half a season with LIV, so he’s so far removed from the biggest golf events that I don’t know how he currently compares anymore. He could be the best LIV player and only the 15th best player in the world.

This is one of the biggest problems for LIV. We can’t contextualize any of it.
who cares

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

I guess being certain royal families will allow you to run your business anyway you want and not have to worry about legal repercussions.

Not a surprise given how the World Cup is going.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Do you like it because of the golf or do you like it because you feel like you get to laugh at people who dislike human rights violations?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00