LIV Golf: the line that pro sports has crossed that will be its demise?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The product itself is crappy, IMO. At least the PGA can justify giving out multi-million purses with an exciting product that reflects the very best golfers competing in a setup that rewards great performances. But the product is secondary in this case. It is a essentially a strategic write-off for political purposes. There appears to be zero correlation between it's prospect to be a decent business undertaking and it's sustainability; it's backers do appear to care about economic realities.

Is this the line that turns people away from pro sports? Where any semblance of "sport" has been utterly removed from the equation. Where players are truly "whoring" themselves out.

Or was this line crossed the very first time someone was paid to play a sport well over a century ago and this is just another progression? It seems like people do not care that athletes make stupid amounts of money or that gambling on sports is almost becoming the primary reason to run a sports league.

Reactions: The Real JT

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The product itself is crappy, IMO. At least the PGA can justify giving out multi-million purses with an exciting product that reflects the very best golfers competing in a setup that rewards great performances. But the product is secondary in this case. It is a essentially a strategic write-off for political purposes. There appears to be zero correlation between it's prospect to be a decent business undertaking and it's sustainability; it's backers do appear to care about economic realities.

Is this the line that turns people away from pro sports? Where any semblance of "sport" has been utterly removed from the equation. Where players are truly "whoring" themselves out.

Or was this line crossed the very first time someone was paid to play a sport well over a century ago and this is just another progression? It seems like people do not care that athletes make stupid amounts of money or that gambling on sports is almost becoming the primary reason to run a sports league.
People will never be turned away from pro sports. Why would you care if athletes are paid stupid money? Would you rather see it go to team owners or in this case the PGA?

And lol at calling LIV a crappy product but PGA exciting. It's golf, it's all boring.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
What I love is that any publicity is good publicity. All the trash talking about LIV Golf has put a ton of spotlight on the new league and it is now growing at an enormous rate. I like the team concept and all the side stuff. It’s very social media friendly. It opens up the game of golf to a wider audience.

Golf, like most sports including hockey, don’t like change. A lot of criticism, on the gameplay, are on the relevancy of some of the players, but even though the competition might be lesser, the game play is much more interesting and it brings new fan to golfing. Nothing bad to grow the game. I understand that the PGA is mad, but personally, down the line, LIV Golf might make me a PGA fan as well. Nothing wrong with diversity. Enjoy the show or go elsewhere to watch what you enjoy!

Reactions: DaaaaB's

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
People will never be turned away from pro sports. Why would you care if athletes are paid stupid money? Would you rather see it go to team owners or in this case the PGA?

And lol at calling LIV a crappy product but PGA exciting. It's golf, it's all boring.

I would rather watch sports played for the love of sport and under the truest competitive environment. You obviously are not a golf fan so you wouldn't know the difference between LIV and the other tours.

Reactions: The Real JT

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
LIV feels like its slowly killing the PGA. I dont really follow Golf or care but Im in a Golf pool and I lost 3 or 4 players to LIV was in top 20 and on the upward swing now Im screwed so I just wonder how far can this go.
seems like PGA has been underpaying their players and lining their pockets, after these new 20m purse tournaments, I feel like this isnt going to stop anytime soon.
I assume PGA is going to see alot of new players come in

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I would rather watch sports played for the love of sport and under the truest competitive environment. You obviously are not a golf fan so you wouldn't know the difference between LIV and the other tours.
What a bunch of crap. People want to see the best athletes play. End of story. I'm not much of a golf fan but I have lots of friends who are and they like LIV better so far. You didn't answer my question who you'd rather see the money go to if the athletes aren't paid?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
LIV feels like its slowly killing the PGA. I dont really follow Golf or care but Im in a Golf pool and I lost 3 or 4 players to LIV was in top 20 and on the upward swing now Im screwed so I just wonder how far can this go.
seems like PGA has been underpaying their players and lining their pockets, after these new 20m purse tournaments, I feel like this isnt going to stop anytime soon.
I assume PGA is going to see alot of new players come in
It's not only bad for the PGA Tour, it's bad for golf in the short-term. It may be beneficial in the long-term that there's some disruption, but golf being divided is not good for the sport. Imagine if the European NHL'ers left the NHL and decided they were going to play in the KHL. It's not the same thing, but similar. It becomes messy, and while people who don't like golf or follow might find it exciting, it's not actually beneficial for the game. Even as a fan, I find it exciting, but the excitement comes with nerves that the game is fracturing, which is undoubtedly bad in the short-term for the sport. There are consequences coming in the short-term that we probably don't fully understand yet.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
LIV tour players are just sell outs and being used as tools by the saudis sad really the team concept and 54 holes is stupid also .

otown

Sep 4, 2009
There are multiple perspectives about the Liv Tour. A fan perspective and most importantly the player perspective. The PGA has had a monopoly as the best tour historically and now that there is competition they will be forced to offer incentives to keep players on the PGA.
If you throw this kind of LIV money at any athlete, a portion of them will jump to secure a future for themselves and their family and the demands of the tour are more manageable.
Morals and ethics aside which is another huge debate I think you will see more and more players make the jump.
Money talks! It is that simple!

Sep 19, 2008
All of those golfers that remain “loyal” to the very disloyal PGA, in all of its different forms, will pay a big price when the inevitable MERGER with LIV comes, and you get nothing but a big “thank you” from PGA officials who are making Millions of Dollars a year. If you don’t take the money now, you will get nothing after the merger takes place, and only say how smart the original signees were. Good luck to all, and congratulations to really talented Cam Smith on his incredible WIN!

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Speaking as an avid golfer and as one who watches a fair amount of televised PGA tour golf, I have no interest in watching the LIV tour.

The overwhelming majority of their marquee players are has beens or non-fan friendly, miserable and/or boring characters. To name a few, DeChambeau, DJ, Sergio, Koepka… Phil has ruined his legacy so he can have a longer stint at the craps table. I understand the guy who’s #187 on the money list securing some easy money. I wouldn’t do it but I get it.

The morality issues are separate but even a more compelling reason for me to stay away. Many golf fans are older, more conservative and rules followers. The PGA will win this battle but continue to take more body blows along the way (pun intended).

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Speaking as an avid golfer and as one who watches a fair amount of televised PGA tour golf, I have no interest in watching the LIV tour.

The overwhelming majority of their marquee players are has beens or non-fan friendly, miserable and/or boring characters. To name a few, DeChambeau, DJ, Sergio, Koepka… Phil has ruined his legacy so he can have a longer stint at the craps table. I understand the guy who’s #187 on the money list securing some easy money. I wouldn’t do it but I get it.

The morality issues are separate but even a more compelling reason for me to stay away. Many golf fans are older, more conservative and rules followers. The PGA will win this battle but continue to take more body blows along the way (pun intended).
Hard to put DJ and Dechambeau in the "has been" category.
Speaking of has beens, I see David Feherty has jumped ship to LIV.
More and more players will be bellying up to the trough!
Like you I wouldn't watch LIV tournament and the team concept has to go but eventually I would like to see a best of LIV vs the best of the PGA .

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Hard to put DJ and Dechambeau in the "has been" category.
Speaking of has beens, I see David Feherty has jumped ship to LIV.
More and more players will be bellying up to the trough!
Like you I wouldn't watch LIV tournament and the team concept has to go but eventually I would like to see a best of LIV vs the best of the PGA .
I agree that those players are not in the has been category. I lumped the has beens with the boring, self centered non-fan friendly characters.

DJ, Bryson and Koepka can all still play but guys like Garcia, Poulter, Westwood and even Phil are all done as top tier competitors.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
PGA has to do something like atleast appearance money some players lose money going to play
not right that the PGA has been able to line their pockets and give back so little. LIV is good for Golf imo
bringing new fans to the sport and alot of attention. forcing PGA to be more fair to their players. more and more players will flock to the LIV before you know it LIV will be on par with the PGA

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
PGA has to do something like atleast appearance money some players lose money going to play
not right that the PGA has been able to line their pockets and give back so little. LIV is good for Golf imo
bringing new fans to the sport and alot of attention. forcing PGA to be more fair to their players. more and more players will flock to the LIV before you know it LIV will be on par with the PGA
No, it is not.

It is disrupting the market by paying guys money the "company" will never make back. No entity not backed by dictators can compete with that and survive. Their goal is clearly to take control of golf and use it for sports-washing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t love the LIV format, but I support the choice of players playing where they want to. THAT is good for golf IMO.

I‘m a longtime PGA Tour fan and supporter , but they’re the ones deciding to divide golf right now. They decided to ban guys, not the other way around.

We saw the PGA Tour immediately boost prize money as a result, and players are still leaving.

I think this ultimately ends with the PGA and DP Tours caving, either through litigation, or the pressure of more and more names jumping to LIV. They will work it out….

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, it is not.

It is disrupting the market by paying guys money the "company" will never make back. No entity not backed by dictators can compete with that and survive. Their goal is clearly to take control of golf and use it for sports-washing.
Well I disagree PGA getting put in their place. they make enough money and have been lining their pockets long enough. Hope LIV takes every player the PGA has doesnt bother me. pay your players

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Sounds like the Saudis have offered Cameron Smith 90 million to join the LIV. Not sure if just a rumor but if it’s true how does one turn that down?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
oh whatever who cares. making Golf actually interesting. PGA could crumble for all I care

Hitler’s Olympics were awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad