News Article: Listless Bruins failing to respond to playoff race heat

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I just don't understand what the hell Chia was thinking.

Our President Trophy, top of the league team lost in the second round of the playoffs to our rival. Total embarrassment and choke. That series highlighted so many issues this team had.

Then what does he do? He lets our leading scorer walk with no replacement and trades our second best defenseman for nothing. Not to mention both of these guys were known as big vocal leaders in the room (this is on top of Thorton walking and Ference the year before).

The only conceivable explanation for doing that is if the intention was to enter a bridge year and expect to not be very good. Trade off assets for picks, let the youth (Morrow) get extended and supported time up with the team. Instead we are in this disgusting middle of being cap-strapped, filled with overpaid underachievers who got these contracts on a cup run 3 years ago while not being good enough for the playoffs so all this is going to complete waste.

I'm pissed at Julien and I'm pissed at every player on this team hold Marchand, Bergeron, Loui, Pasta and Spooner but I absolutely livid with Chiarelli. He did just enough to make this team mediocre but not enough to allow sense of development or future hope. We look like ****ing San Jose. A rotting contender floating away to nothing. Can anyone be surprised the entire core had a down season after losing huge portions of their locker room and knowing they weren't good enough to win even when those guys were still around? What the **** is Clode supposed to do with a 6'9 injured pylon, a 21 year old who is still learning which end of the rink is which, a 34 year old with a mechanical leg and 5 years worth of regression in one and then a plethora of #6 guys.

I'd like Julien to see some accountability and I'd like to see some of core shipped out but boy am I done with Peter ****ing Chiarelli.

/end rant.

To be fair he didn't let our leading scorer walk. We had no money to sign him.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The lost playoffs revenue means change... at this point even the players want the coach and his system gone, so they will keep on under-performing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The lost playoffs revenue means change... at this point even the players want the coach and his system gone, so they will keep on under-performing.

I would take this and extend it further. The players are tired of the system and they have stopped executing it well. I would also say that once the GM admitted he made the team worse with the Boychuk deal, the message from the FO was well received that this wasn't going to be their year. So why lay it out there if the GM flushed the season before it started, and the coach is still preaching a system that is in dire need of adjustments?

remer

Oct 18, 2005

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

The bench voice has to change. Clode's shelf life is over.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Me. The fact this team is in the playoff race, despite the fact that Chia has made so many crappy moves, is just proof he's a good GM down on his luck!

Wait. To recap:

the Bruins are fighting for a playoff spot largely because Chiarelli had a) mismanaged the cap, b) made some terrible moves, and c) hired questionable coaching support staff.

And this means he should stay because the team is in 9th when it really could be worse?

I think my head just exploded.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Let me rephrase, does anyone actually trust Chiarelli to turn this team around? And by turn the team around, I don't mean getting fleeced on trades and re-signing/overpaying pretty much every player. I sure as hell don't.

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

The bench voice has to change. Clode's shelf life is over.

Clode's new contract kicks in next year to boot. Well, at least that does not count against the cap.

Does he have an NFCC? (No Fire Clode Clause).

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
The guy needs a chance to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately he has painted himself into a corner.
Other teams know it so even if he tries to trade players this off season,
those teams will offer him less because they know he is desperate.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The guy needs a chance to rectify the problem.

He had a chance. He's had a chance since game 7 last year and not only did nothing with it, he actually made it worse. How many more chances is he owed?

He will get a chance somewhere else, but he needs a fresh start. Somewhere that isn't here.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I was listening to Pierre McGuire earlier today and he thinks he knows what is going on with the Bruins.

His theory is the Bruins have a lot of players that know what it takes to climb to the mountaintop and the extra effort needed to do so and several of these players sensing the team is going to fail this year anyways are not willing to go the extra mile.

Lost goal scoring check
Lost d man check
Cap penalty restricting bringing in new player Check
Were not good enough last year Check
Why bother Check!

Oddly, I actually understand that.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I'm sure that's not the case that these players know that this is not the year so they are mailing it in.

These are professionals and I like to think they will fight until mathematically eliminated. I mean 20 games ago I'm sure Sens fan were giving up as well.

It's like I told my friends, although what Lucic did last year during the handshake with Montreal wasn't great sportsmanship it's still nice to know even a guy making 6 million a year still gives a damn.

That being said I have not seen that emotion from him or the team this year.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
I'm sure that's not the case that these players know that this is not the year so they are mailing it in.

These are professionals and I like to think they will fight until mathematically eliminated. I mean 20 games ago I'm sure Sens fan were giving up as well.

It's like I told my friends, although what Lucic did last year during the handshake with Montreal wasn't great sportsmanship it's still nice to know even a guy making 6 million a year still gives a damn.

I'd argue that BS is a contributing factor in the direction this team has taken this year. You know the league made sure to tell the Bruins they would be watching this year, and watching hard, after the hand shake comments. I'm pretty sure those that did the talking will be satisfied with the complete lack of aggression they have seen from this Bruins team this year.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

There's a huge difference. The Bruins haven't done anything in years to improve the team. The Sens let the ancient Alfredsson leave,fired their HC and extended young core players.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA

I would argue, based on his on-ice performance, that he is a $6 million player that does not give a damn. He doesn't move his feet consistently. He doesn't engage physically on a consistent basis. I don't see him drive to the net consistently. He appears to have motivational issues. These are the qualities that got him paid $6 million and they've disappeared.

I'm sick of hearing the lip service in the post-game, dressing room sound bytes: "we have to play better. I have to play better." "we shouldn't have any trouble getting up for games like these."

You know what Looch? Play better. Motivate yourself to get up for objectively big games. Stop telling me and DO IT.

Southern Gentleman B

May 1, 2011
Brevard, NC
For every article you read criticizing Chia and/or Julien you will read an article about how good they are. If they are let go some other team will swoop in and hire them on the spot. I can't say for sure which is true, if either, but there does seem to be a general lack of emotion out of this group of players that doesn't bode well for our immediate future.

Changing FO personnel is always risky, you can end up in worse shape if the first hire is not the right hire. I'm certain everyone on this forum can cite examples where change resulted in years of losing. That said, for me it comes down to confidence in those responsible for hiring new FO personnel, if that is the direction Charlie Jacobs decides to go. I know little about him, maybe others have knowledge about how much ice hockey sense he has and if he has a track record of making good management/owner decisions.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“We have a few days before a game now, it’s about regrouping,†Patrice Bergeron said. “We’re a team that showed character in the past. We need to show some right now.â€

Said Marchand, “Right now, it’s a matter of being committed to the game and the system. We need to all be better at that. And if we’re not, it’s going to cost us our season. We’ve got to really buckle down and smarten up. If we don’t, it’s going to cost us.â€

Of course, while Julien offered exhaustion as an excuse, others were quick to shoot that down. As Bergeron said when asked about fatigue, “No. I don’t think it should be an excuse.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-spot-peril/ckyaBDciQxtXdRtMjnIvCN/story.html

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
So it appears the board is in full post-mortem mode right now, any one else still thinking they can get in after this 3 day break to get their heads on straight and get a rest?

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
For every article you read criticizing Chia and/or Julien you will read an article about how good they are. If they are let go some other team will swoop in and hire them on the spot. I can't say for sure which is true, if either, but there does seem to be a general lack of emotion out of this group of players that doesn't bode well for our immediate future.

Changing FO personnel is always risky, you can end up in worse shape if the first hire is not the right hire. I'm certain everyone on this forum can cite examples where change resulted in years of losing. That said, for me it comes down to confidence in those responsible for hiring new FO personnel, if that is the direction Charlie Jacobs decides to go. I know little about him, maybe others have knowledge about how much ice hockey sense he has and if he has a track record of making good management/owner decisions.

It's not like he hasn't been around the team for a while now. I'm sure he has made his preferences known.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad