News Article: Listless Bruins failing to respond to playoff race heat

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/23/bo...oliver-ekman-larsson-norris-trophy-candidate?

Finally, a national writer taking Julien and Chiarelli to task instead of blindly declaring them amongst the best in the business.

Outside of Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron, not a single Bruins player can argue that he’s been up to the challenge.

Fingers are already being pointed at Julien, whose decision making can be inscrutable at times. His recent over-reliance on defenseman Dennis Seidenberg, for instance, is hard to comprehend beyond a blind allegiance to a veteran who’s gotten the job done in the past. The problem is that Seidenberg has never quite recovered from the knee surgery that cut his 2013–14 season short, and he’s struggled mightily to handle the heavier workload that is being demanded of him as a result of injuries to Zdeno Chara and Dougie Hamilton. Seidenberg was a disaster in Sunday's 5–3 loss to the Lightning, caught on the ice for four of Tampa Bay’s five goals.

But it all circles back to GM Peter Chiarelli’s mismanagement of the salary cap and his subsequent preseason short selling of Johnny Boychuk to the Islanders.

If Boston falls short, it’s a good bet that Chiarelli will pay the price.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/23/bo...oliver-ekman-larsson-norris-trophy-candidate?

Finally, a national writer taking Julien and Chiarelli to task instead of blindly declaring them amongst the best in the business.

Nice to see something like this, we know the situation and it's important that the others are starting to see that this isn't just a slump, it's more than that.

Those deadline comments from chia are still making me mad, owe it to our players to give them a chance and not to improve our D group because of that, that is killing us and will continue to kill us if they don't change the attitude.
Seids thing is more on chia than it is on julien.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I can't blame Julien for using Seidenberg. He's literally got no options but to overuse him. I do put it on CJ that he didn't give Morrow a real and fair shake here this year. Dude should be up and playing over Bart/Trotman/Warofsky every time. I think you can also hold Julien's feet to the fire over misusing the 4th line too much, line make up in general, and reluctance to sub in Spooner when DK went down. So the article's main point is correct generally speaking, but the example they used is bad.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well... Easy to pin Julien for playing Seinderberg but you replace him by who? I'd like to have name from this national writer....

I think Morrow is the name most will throw around. Earlier in the season when all were healthy, Bart was sitting out extended periods of time. I thought he could have easily played a few games at Seidenberg's expense. Many other coaches will bench a player or take a vet out of the lineup to send a message, rattle the cage, etc. Julien does not do this.

I think Warsofsky could have also filled in for a few. Seidenberg has been horrendously bad in my eyes. I've heard some say he's been adequate, average, good considering the injury, etc.. But if you think about the number of really bad costly brain farts he's had, it's pretty inexcusable.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
"Outside of Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron, not a single Bruins player can argue that he’s been up to the challenge."

That's a bit of a disservice to Spoons and Pasta.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
"Outside of Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron, not a single Bruins player can argue that he’s been up to the challenge."

It is, but I assume it's only because both have been up for a short period of time, while Bergy and Marchand have been here all season long.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think Morrow is the name most will throw around. Earlier in the season when all were healthy, Bart was sitting out extended periods of time. I thought he could have easily played a few games at Seidenberg's expense. Many other coaches will bench a player or take a vet out of the lineup to send a message, rattle the cage, etc. Julien does not do this.

I think Warsofsky could have also filled in for a few. Seidenberg has been horrendously bad in my eyes. I've heard some say he's been adequate, average, good considering the injury, etc.. But if you think about the number of really bad costly brain farts he's had, it's pretty inexcusable.

Been saying this for years.

People need to realize that the way Julien does things (or at least certain things) is far different from how any other coach handles a similar circumstance. Maybe it's panned out in the past, but his reliance on the aging veterans is really hurting the team now. It doesn't help that the guy making the decisions on who's got a roster spot seems to follow the exact same thinking. If even one of them was committed to solving some of the issues the older players on this team are bringing, we might have gotten some question answered and some productive moves executed at this point.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Also Tuukka.

This writer is rather opportunistic with this piece. SI covering hockey is a joke just like ESPN.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I find that most of the national writers just assume that the Bruins will pull out of this at the end because of their recent success. I found it refreshing that he is taking them to task for some of their blatant mistakes. But true on Seidenberg, he should have used Campbell/Paille as an example and could have drilled Chia for leaving the d corps with a bunch of AHL backups.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Been saying this for years.

People need to realize that the way Julien does things (or at least certain things) is far different from how any other coach handles a similar circumstance. Maybe it's panned out in the past, but his reliance on the aging veterans is really hurting the team now. It doesn't help that the guy making the decisions on who's got a roster spot seems to follow the exact same thinking. If even one of them was committed to solving some of the issues the older players on this team are bringing, we might have gotten some question answered and some productive moves executed at this point.

Agreed.. this is the number 1 biggest issue in my opinion. It's ok to favor vets to a certain degree. But in this game, which is clearly becoming a young mans fast game, you need to be recognize, realize, adapt, before it's too late. It may be too late now, could argue it's been too late for a while. It's a tough business, but you have to make hard decisions between players sometimes.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I can't blame Julien for using Seidenberg. He's literally got no options but to overuse him. I do put it on CJ that he didn't give Morrow a real and fair shake here this year. Dude should be up and playing over Bart/Trotman/Warofsky every time. I think you can also hold Julien's feet to the fire over misusing the 4th line too much, line make up in general, and reluctance to sub in Spooner when DK went down. So the article's main point is correct generally speaking, but the example they used is bad.

I agree he has no choice but to use them.
To me the bigger issue ,is that Julien continues to overuse both Chara and Seids. I'd rather not see Chara on any PP and I'd never have Chara and Seids on the PK together which Julien does on a regular basis. We can limit their minutes rather than playing them like they were true #1 and #2 Dmen. Rotate in Warsofsky, Morrow, Trotman . If we even make the playoffs Chara and Seids simply cannot play 20-25 minutes per game , if they do the Bruins have no chnace.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
First of all he does sit guys here and there ===Lucic last yr Wideman, Peverley , etc . The biggest current problem with this team is they are tired, I am not saying that is a good excuse but it is just a fact. Mark my words you will see a good team Thursday and Saturday---no guarantee sunday in Carolina. I am not giving up on this year but in all honesty it doesn't look good even if we play pretty good like I think they will in the last nine. We have a shot at Ottawa and Washington but something tells me those two wont lose enough to let us slip in. The biggest problem this year with the team is underperformance plus possible loss of ability of some of the top defenseman. I am not supporting the 4th line but we are not on the verge of being out because of them. I am not sitting here saying Campbell has been good this year-he hasn't but the hate etc on him is a joke. He is not helping this team much but as far as hurting it-I don't think so. The guy is minor plus which considering he often take the draws in his own end and has been part of and on a struggling fourth line all year certainly doesn't kill us. We have enough Campbells I don't care if he plays, stays or goes but lets not blame a season on him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was listening to Pierre McGuire earlier today and he thinks he knows what is going on with the Bruins.

His theory is the Bruins have a lot of players that know what it takes to climb to the mountaintop and the extra effort needed to do so and several of these players sensing the team is going to fail this year anyways are not willing to go the extra mile.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I was listening to Pierre McGuire earlier today and he thinks he knows what is going on with the Bruins.

His theory is the Bruins have a lot of players that know what it takes to climb to the mountaintop and the extra effort needed to do so and several of these players sensing the team is going to fail this year anyways are not willing to go the extra mile.

As listenable as Pierre may be when it comes to general hockey news on the radio, he sort of just follows whatever cliches are there.

If the Bruins won a couple in a row, he'd be on next week talking about the "re-emergence" of Milan Lucic, Chara "finding his game", Tuukka Rask "discovering his confidence" etc. It's just whatever mumbo-jumbo fits the script for that week.

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
Need to assess this a week from now. 6 points will make a lot of difference. Also looking to see the lineups once Krech is back. Personally, think the green light will turn on this week and the team will grapple its way into a wild card with the Sens.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree he has no choice but to use them.
To me the bigger issue ,is that Julien continues to overuse both Chara and Seids. I'd rather not see Chara on any PP and I'd never have Chara and Seids on the PK together which Julien does on a regular basis. We can limit their minutes rather than playing them like they were true #1 and #2 Dmen. Rotate in Warsofsky, Morrow, Trotman . If we even make the playoffs Chara and Seids simply cannot play 20-25 minutes per game , if they do the Bruins have no chnace.

That's a fair criticism. Kind of like how using Campbell is one thing, but overusing him makes it worse. I get that. For some reason, Claude seems to view Morrow like he does Spooner. Maybe we get lucky and he's left with no other options but to use Morrow, that way he can force his way into the line up. No reason he shouldn't be there already, IMO.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

After seeing him in the week-end, I have to fully agree about Seinderberg. I don't think we have anything to lose by playing Morrow i'm just not sure if it's the right approach to throw in a "must deliver" situation. Seems to be a little bit unfair to the guy, no?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
A team being "listless" is an indictment of the players and the coach. I'll keep saying it, I blame Chiarelli for this mess number 1, Neely 2, but the players and the coach are also plenty responsible for this disaster.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The team has been incomplete since training camp - sprinkle in some key injuries and here we are, total jekyll and hyde team.

I do think these few days off will result in some better play, just have to hope Ottawa cools down, all we can do now.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
It almost seems as if they do not want to make the playoffs and would be okay with the ramifications of the offseason...I don't know whether they are upset by the Boychuk trade, or have tuned Julien out or whatever, but with a chance to move into the 1st WC they lost to Washington, then with a second chance lost in a shootout to Buffalo, and with a chance to put some distance between them and the Sens they lost again and have looked lethargic ever since.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Sounds like Claude and Peter are whispering in Pierre's ear to get that gem of a story out there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad