Value of: Linus Ullmark

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
It is hard for me to judge the value of goalies on the trade market, especially in the case of Linus Ullmark.

Before this year, his pedigree was not impressive. He will win the Vezina this year and had a record-breaking year, but given his cap hit and the schizophrenic nature of goalies in today's NHL, I think the Bruins should explore a trade for him.

I understand Cup contenders need a 1a and 1b in goal, but I do not think this team should be contending cups starting next season. We need to retool our roster under the confines of our salary cap situation. I am interested in seeing what Swayman can do as a #1 and sign a cheaper solid backup and see what happens.

What can the Bruins realistically get for him? I guess that determines whether it is worth trading him.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm sure Linus wants to return to good ole Buffalo. We offer Olofsson and a 7th.

All joking aside, I think it's definitely the best move for Boston to sell high on Ullmark. Some heads are gonna have to roll and he seems like a likely candidate.

How many times has a Vezina winner been traded the same off-season?

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins did themselves and Ullmark a disservice by playing him hurt. And only a couple years after them playing Tuukka hurt cost them a series.

But he lost the net to Swayman last post-season, too. So a red flag there.

Still, an excellent option to split the net with your younger guy like the Bruins have with he and Swayman.

I have no idea how the Bruins are going to approach this off-season. Anyone not named Pasta and McAvoy is probably on the table, although I have a hard time seeing Marchand, Lindholm or Carlo being moved.

If Ullmark is the guy on the outs, and their AHL MVP was the goalie down there so it’s possible, I would be prioritizing 2023 picks.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I'm sure Linus wants to return to good ole Buffalo. We offer Olofsson and a 7th.

All joking aside, I think it's definitely the best move for Boston to sell high on Ullmark. Some heads are gonna have to roll and he seems like a likely candidate.

How many times has a Vezina winner been traded the same off-season?
MAF was just recently.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Definitely a good goalie, and a Vezina-worthy regular season.
But the "money goalie" is a dying (if not dead) breed. He's just not that...

There's really only a handful of guys who you can expect to not have wild swings in performance from year-to-year.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Definitely depends on what their center depth looks like after the offseason. If bergeron and krejci peace out they definitely should trade him.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
I doubt Sweeney moves him, it is too risky.

The scenario where Ullmark goes onto have another stellar season and Swayman stumbles because the Bruins are bound to take a step back next year, and the “I can’t believe he traded the reigning Vezina winner, fire the bum” threads/phone calls will be nonstop.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He was injured with next to zero lateral movement/control. It was foolish of Montgomery to play him in game 5&6 after he could barely get up.

With that being said he does have a history with injuries and this recent one adds another to the list unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbruinfan

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Corey Schneider was traded to the Devils for the 9th overall pick. That is probably a good comparable.

Marc-Andre Fleury was a straight up cap dump to Chicago so you can't really use him as a comparable.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Probably a mid-late first or equivalent B prospect. Goalies just don't have a ton of value these days, he's had 1 great season and the playoff run (albeit injured) didn't help his value.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Corey Schneider was traded to the Devils for the 9th overall pick. That is probably a good comparable.

Marc-Andre Fleury was a straight up cap dump to Chicago so you can't really use him as a comparable.

Won't happen this year with this draft's dept. GMs will not overpay for any Bruins player knowing they'll have a hard time with the cap too. Maybe a late first or a 2024 first.

Reactions: Khelandros

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Career backup who had a Jim Carey year. You definitely trade him this summer, he will go back to his career backup role next year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He has NMC until July 1st anyway, right? Then a 16-team NTC after July 1st. Won't make it easy to move him. Certainly not until after the draft anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens and Bruins doing some talking wouldn't surprise me at all. Ullmark/Swayman, Gryz and DeBrusk all seem to fit some need.
Yeah, Penguins don't have much to be able to add sans a couple picks but all of those guys would be of interest.

I assume for the sake of discussion that the B's would be looking for futures plus the cap space. Ullmark+Gryz+DeBrusk for 1st 2024, POJ, Pickering, Poehling.

1st for Ullmark, Gryz for POJ, Pickering+Poehling for DeBrusk. Tit for tat, value in a vacuum may favor the Pens but you also get 10mil in space. We can even give you Jarry's UFA rights or toss in CDS if a replacement goalie fits your needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad