Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
His pads are way too narrow. Remind me of pads we’d wear playing street hockey back in the 70s.
Haha. Brings back memories of being victimized in goal on the streets of Belmont in the 70s. This kid's pads would have been a step up from what we used:

2624.jpg

Reactions: HustleB and TCB

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Or it's simply they want to see the red hot prospect who put up a .945/1.50 last year rather than the career .912/2.78 guy
11 career starts playing in front of a great team with a good system vs. over 100 games on an atrocious team and still managing to stay above .910 throughout the entire time.

Ullmark managed to have a .917 SV% and a winning record of 9-6-0 on one of the worst teams in the league last season.

Sway has played a total of 11 games and has gotten the chance to start his career in front of a great team. Ullmark didn’t have that luxury.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For what it's worth, over the last two seasons at 5v5 only:

Goalie A
.933 Save%
1.82 GAA
0.40 GSAA/60

Goalie B
.930 Save%
2.08 GAA
0.34 GSAA/60

Goalie C
.927 Save%
2.27 GAA
0.28 GSAA/60

Goalie D
.932 Save%
2.08 GAA
0.44 GSAA/60

GSAA/60 is Goals Saved Above Average per 60 minutes. In other words, how many goals per 60 minutes does this goalie save you at 5v5 versus a statistical league average goalie.

Goalie A is Tuukka Rask.
Goalie B is Andrei Vasilevskiy.
Goalie C is Connor Hellebuyck.
Goalie D is Linus Ullmark.

Give the guy a chance.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For what it's worth, over the last two seasons at 5v5 only:

Goalie A
.933 Save%
1.82 GAA
0.40 GSAA/60

Goalie B
.930 Save%
2.08 GAA
0.34 GSAA/60

Goalie C
.927 Save%
2.27 GAA
0.28 GSAA/60

Goalie D
.932 Save%
2.08 GAA
0.44 GSAA/60

GSAA/60 is Goals Saved Above Average per 60 minutes. In other words, how many goals per 60 minutes does this goalie save you at 5v5 versus a statistical league-average goalie.

Goalie A is Tuukka Rask.
Goalie B is Andrei Vasilevskiy.
Goalie C is Connor Hellebuyck.
Goalie D is Linus Ullmark.

Give the guy a chance.

Thanks for posting this it's eye-opening. It really gives a different perspective showing that Ullmark is what many here thought, a guy who had a lousy team in front of him yet played solid goal. We need to be patient with him because hopefully we're going to be treated to a great goaltending season. I liked the signing from the get-go but like some here I got a bit jittery at his preseason. I totally forgot about the injury that he had in Buffalo. Not starting him in the opener at home was a smart move. They let the kid take that game, which created less pressure for Linus and then on the road in Philly he can play his game without the home fans moaning if things get a bit dicey. As others have said, signing him was a good move inthat even if Rask comes back earlier and better than expected we have 3 legit goalies who can win games. Look at teams that had a great core of skaters but mediocre goaltending and
it clearly shows how average goaltending can sink a contender.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It’s crazy how people already have him penciled in as a backup. It’s like they want him to fail.
I have him penciled in as a backup. Not because I don’t think he was a great signing(he was) but just because I really do think swayman is going to be great. I think they split the games mostly tho. I think swayman is our playoff goalie.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bruins have been very fortunate for a number of years to have great net minding with both of their top goalies. I hope this continues.

From where I sat for game #1 our goalies seemed like they get along well.
I liked at the end of the game that Linus gave Swayman a really big hug. He seemed genuinely excited and happy for the kid. I agree with you LF -- Bruins have seemed to create an atmosphere where their goalies push but support each other. Been the case for several years now and that's a good thing IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad