Lines

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
coming into the season Hak seemed to go with the same or similar line options as last year. This at the time made sense but i am starting to rethink that plan. Some guys just dont produce the way they did at one point in the past and others just seem out of place.

The purpose of this thread is to look out side the box, mix things up and see what other people think good options could be.

Laughon - G - Jake
Schenn - Coots - Simmonds
Read - PEB - Gagner
VdV/White/Raffl - These guys can kind of play all 3 positions

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it is time for a big shake up because they've hit rock bottom. My lines are:

Gagner-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-BSchenn
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
VdV-Bellemare-White

Schmidty324

Sep 14, 2010
Philadelphia
Gagner-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Schenn
Vdv-Bellemare-White

Del Zotto-Medvedev
Streit-Schenn
Schultz-Gudas

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Gagner - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Straka
Umberger - White - Bellemare
Vinny, VdV

Del Zotto - Medvedev
Streit - Schenn
Schultz - Gudas

-Call up Straka and hope he brings some speed and creativity to the lineup.
-Trade Read, start shopping Simmonds, Raffl, Gagner, Schenn, VdV (if anyone wants him...)
-Tell the 1st line to shoot the ****ing puck
-Slot Martel as next in line for a call-up, for 3LW, preparing to put Raffl on the 4th line in case this continues to struggle

Defense
Give Medvedev more minutes
Slot a smart, fairly responsible defenseman with Schenn and give him more minutes
Play Schultz as little as possible.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gagner Giroux Simmonds
Raffl Couts Schenn
Read Laughton Voracek
Umberger White Belle

Gagner is right handed, so is set up for 1 timers and with G being RH, he should naturally pass to the left. Keeps him away from trying to "fix" Voracek. Simmonds is the board guy.

Couts and Schenn play well together. Raffl is fine defensively. Play top lines even and we are good.

Laughton has the speed to play with Voracek, unlike Couts. Plus, Laughton has a good shot which Voracek needs. Read "usually' is solid all around and I want him away from Couts for awhile.

Solid defensive line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will say, if you could trade Simmonds for a Crouse + 1st return, our lines next year really come together nicely.

Crouse Giroux Voracek
Read Couts Schenn
Raffl Laughton Konecny

Plus would have our 1st + Florida's 1st to add 2 more top 6 players....eventually replacing Read and Raffl. Then add in the current prospects like NAK, Leier, Lindblom, Fazleev, and Cousins and we would be in very good shape depth wise.

We REALLY need to find the top end LW guys at this draft.

Imagine adding a Tkchuck or Jones..or both!

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I will say, if you could trade Simmonds for a Crouse + 1st return, our lines next year really come together nicely.

Crouse Giroux Voracek
Read Couts Schenn
Raffl Laughton Konecny

Plus would have our 1st + Florida's 1st to add 2 more top 6 players....eventually replacing Read and Raffl. Then add in the current prospects like NAK, Leier, Lindblom, Fazleev, and Cousins and we would be in very good shape depth wise.

We REALLY need to find the top end LW guys at this draft.

Imagine adding a Tkchuck or Jones..or both!

I feel like we'd be adding our 1st to that trade, not Florida adding theirs...if anything. Most likely a mid-round inclusion instead.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I spent a few hours creating a random line generator in Python. A line that I got which would be good even strength is:

B.Schenn-Laughton-Voracek

(actually B.Schenn came up as center and Laughton wing, but I flipped them)

That would leave:

Read-Giroux-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Gagner/Umberger

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Another interesting random choice:

Read-Giroux-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Voracek
Raffl-B.Schenn-Gagner

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel like we'd be adding our 1st to that trade, not Florida adding theirs...if anything. Most likely a mid-round inclusion instead.

The Flyers would not be adding a 1st to acquire a player that if all goes well, might be a 25-30 goal scorer, which Simmonds already is.

Florida is ready to make a playoff run now. They have a more urgent need for a veteran proven goal scorer than we do. Florida would have to add to Crouse to get Simmonds.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gagner Giroux Simmonds
Raffl Couts Schenn
Read Laughton Voracek
Umberger White Belle

Gagner is right handed, so is set up for 1 timers and with G being RH, he should naturally pass to the left. Keeps him away from trying to "fix" Voracek. Simmonds is the board guy.

Couts and Schenn play well together. Raffl is fine defensively. Play top lines even and we are good.

Laughton has the speed to play with Voracek, unlike Couts. Plus, Laughton has a good shot which Voracek needs. Read "usually' is solid all around and I want him away from Couts for awhile.

Solid defensive line.

Sign me up for anything that splits up Giroux and Voracek and has Lecavalier not playing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gagner - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Straka
Umberger - White - Bellemare
Vinny, VdV

Del Zotto - Medvedev
Streit - Schenn
Schultz - Gudas

-Call up Straka and hope he brings some speed and creativity to the lineup.
-Trade Read, start shopping Simmonds, Raffl, Gagner, Schenn, VdV (if anyone wants him...)
-Tell the 1st line to shoot the ****ing puck
-Slot Martel as next in line for a call-up, for 3LW, preparing to put Raffl on the 4th line in case this continues to struggle

Defense
Give Medvedev more minutes
Slot a smart, fairly responsible defenseman with Schenn and give him more minutes
Play Schultz as little as possible.

Martels speed would be a breath of fresh air.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Line 1: Read - Giroux - Simmonds

Rationale: Surround your best playmaker with a defensively responsible shoot-first forward in Read and your best garbage collector/power forward in Simmonds, who will also protect Giroux from the Tom Wilsons of the world.

Line 2: Schenn - Couturier - Voracek

Rationale: Surround your best defensive center and one of the better puck possesion players with a garbage collector/powerforward and a pure playmaker with speed to open up space.

Line 3: Raffl - Laughton - Gagner

Rationale: Throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks

Line 4: White-Bellemare-VandeVelde

Rationale: Pretty straight forward 4th line. Should haven't much issues.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
any line changes HAVE to include removing Vora from the first line..

until he figures out how to get his head outa his ass, he should slot no higher then second line duties...

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
i would like to see Laughton possible center Jake and Gagner

Read - G - Simmonds
1 defense 1st guy, 1 play maker, 1 garbage goal scorer

Raffl - Coots - Schenn
combo of play makers, dirty goal scorers and shooters and defensively responsible in Coots

Gagner - Laughton - Jake
combo of play makers, speed and shooters and defensively responsible in laughton

Vdv - PEB - White

Our 4th line has show its worth so the whole Read/Coots shut down isnt as vital as it once was. Im not demoting Jake to 3rd line but looking to balance out our top 9

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
any line changes HAVE to include removing Vora from the first line..

until he figures out how to get his head outa his ass, he should slot no higher then second line duties...

Agreed. Giroux would easily be a PPG if not for Voracek's awful play and Giroux trying too hard to get him to snap out of it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How many ES points does he have in that stretch?

I don't have the time to go back that far through the box scores, but just going back the past 30 games, he has 1 goal, 12 assists, 13 points at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad