Line Combos: Lines for 2015-16

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Would very seriously look into dealing Lucic in the offseason. If you're changing the makeup of this team, actually freaking do it. He'll easily net you the best return, and you need a winger to play with Krejci and Pastrnak. You also need a lot of help on defense. I want to go into next season looking like something below:

X - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - X
X - Spooner - Connolly
Ferlin - Talbot - Randell/X

A lot of good pieces already in place, use Smith/Eriksson/Lucic to get a few new pieces in here, utilize FA elsewhere. Would like to see a guy like Glencross at an affordable price on that third line, gives you a reliable vet there to play with Spooner and Connolly with some offensive flair.

Next work on the defense, a lot! Morrow has battled injuries, but I think he deserves a shot at the top 6 next year. He's cost controlled, and has better upside than anybody else you have, and I also feel he is the most ready. D-core next season should look something like this:

Chara - Hamilton
Morrow - X
Krug - Miller

Utilize Seidenberg with Smith/Lucic/Eriksson to nab a top 4 defenseman. Could potentially dish out the money to get Sekera (if Kings don't re-sign him). Lots of moves and options out there, though. Morrow isn't set in stone on this roster either, but you may be able to shift him down with Krug if you can get Sekera + another top 4 guy via trade.

Again, just spitballing, but this roster NEEDS some turnover. You still have some valuable trade pieces, like it or not, that you can use to re-flesh out this roster.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I don't think a lot of moves are necessary.
Paille + Campbell + Bonus Overages from the previous season gives us= 7.7 million
Spooner + Hamilton + Connolly need to be resigned.
Spooner-2 [email protected] million/season
Hamilton- [email protected] million/season
Connolly-2 [email protected] million/season
That would push our cap up to about 70.0 million, excluding Marc Savard's money

Marshy-Bergy-Eriksson (15.25 million)
Lucic-Krejci-UFA/Trade (13.25 million)
Smith-Spooner-Pasta (5.85 million)
Talbot-Kelly-Connolly (4.375)
Griffith (759k)

Chara-Hamilton (11.4 million)
Seids-Morrow (4.863 million)
Krug-Miller (4.2 million)
Trotman (625k)

Rask (7 million)
Back up (1.5 million)

That leaves us searching for a #1 line RW for Krejci and Lucic with 3 million to spare
That ensures that McQuaid and Sodaberg aren't coming back
I think the biggest problem here is Chris Kelly, Riley Smith and Dennis Seidenberg. They account for 10.5 million of dollars not spent well. Talbot replaces Kelly as 4th line centre. Connolly replaces Smith as 3rd line winger. We can use cheaper contracts to play with Talbot on the 4th line. That way we can spend 10 million on a pure 1st line RW and top 4 D. Question is, can we unload those three contracts? Smith shouldn't be a hard sell, sophomore slump! Kelly is still a good PK'er and bottom 6 for a non cap strapped team and Seids is still a good dman.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I don't think a lot of moves are necessary.
Paille + Campbell + Bonus Overages from the previous season gives us= 7.7 million
Spooner + Hamilton + Connolly need to be resigned.
Spooner-2 [email protected] million/season
Hamilton- [email protected] million/season
Connolly-2 [email protected] million/season
That would push our cap up to about 70.0 million, excluding Marc Savard's money

Marshy-Bergy-Eriksson (15.25 million)
Lucic-Krejci-UFA/Trade (13.25 million)
Smith-Spooner-Pasta (5.85 million)
Talbot-Kelly-Connolly (4.375)
Griffith (759k)

Chara-Hamilton (11.4 million)
Seids-Morrow (4.863 million)
Krug-Miller (4.2 million)
Trotman (625k)

Rask (7 million)
Back up (1.5 million)

That leaves us searching for a #1 line RW for Krejci and Lucic with 3 million to spare
That ensures that McQuaid and Sodaberg aren't coming back
I think the biggest problem here is Chris Kelly, Riley Smith and Dennis Seidenberg. They account for 10.5 million of dollars not spent well. Talbot replaces Kelly as 4th line centre. Connolly replaces Smith as 3rd line winger. We can use cheaper contracts to play with Talbot on the 4th line. That way we can spend 10 million on a pure 1st line RW and top 4 D. Question is, can we unload those three contracts? Smith shouldn't be a hard sell, sophomore slump! Kelly is still a good PK'er and bottom 6 for a non cap strapped team and Seids is still a good dman.

Lol that team is no better than this awful team was. And it still has zero game breakers. Change is needed unless squeaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in 4 is the goal. And I don't think that team gets you into the playoffs.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Lol that team is no better than this awful team was. And it still has zero game breakers. Change is needed unless squeaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in 4 is the goal. And I don't think that team gets you into the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure subtracting Seids/Smith/Kelly and ADDING a top line RW who can score and a top 3 dman would make this team dangerous again! Not sure how we'd be the same as this season after removing Kelly/Paille/Campbell/Smith/Seids/Bart/Soda/McQuaid?
Am I missing something?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
These are the guys I would target.

Beagle is a terrific face-off man who has good size and a gritty game.

I'd prefer they target a RD than a LD. I want a new RD to play with Chara, never liked the 33-27 pairing.

White has evolved his game, toned down his bad penalties, and had a good year in Philly.

Lindback was actually pretty decent in Buffalo after two bad stops in Dallas and Tampa. Like you said I'd like to see a big goalie.

I like your suggestion, Bill. My lines:

XXXXX - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Lucic - Spooner - Pastrnak
Talbot - Beagle - Downie
Ferlin

Chara - Hamilton
Sekera - Seidenberg
Krug - Miller
Trotman/Morrow

Rask
XXXXXX

Smith ++ for a lw/rw scoring winger.

I like both of those combinations. BruinsDust's plan is a lot easier to pull off though. Don't get me wrong, I would be psyched if they could move Smith and say Koko for a scoring winger but those deals are hard to pull off.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't disagree they can't be similar, but that's almost the same team with the role players gone. Management sets the tone for the whole team, in 2011-12 the Bruins got worse and the team struggled out of the gate and had a first round lost. Management was complacent and so were the players, some couldn't 'get up' for the games. This year the Bruins trade Boychuk and it ruined the team, management acted like a team on a downward trajectory and the players played like that.

I understand it is deeper than that Bill, but I think the Bruins need to make a big tweak to say last year was not acceptable. Rolling with the same core of guys and shuffling the role players I don't think is enough. Fluto is floating that management is thinking of trading Lucic, if Fluto is putting that out there my guess is the decision is made already.

I think that's a good point about management setting the tone, but don't you think that adding a legit top4 dman would send a good message and set the tone? If they get a guy like Mike Green that's a big name and a big boost to the offense and the top4. Then they'd also be adding some character guys to get that identity back.

P.S. I think trading Lucic would be a colossal mistake.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I think that's a good point about management setting the tone, but don't you think that adding a legit top4 dman would send a good message and set the tone? If they get a guy like Mike Green that's a big name and a big boost to the offense and the top4. Then they'd also be adding some character guys to get that identity back.

P.S. I think trading Lucic would be a colossal mistake.

I am not interested in Mike Green. I don't think the Bruins need an offensive minded guy on the back end. Green plays 60% of of his zone starts in the offensive end, the same as Krug. Getting two guys to do the same job will lead to both players under-preforming. At one point, Green was one of the most dynamic defencemen offensively. However, after injuries and age is Green better than Krug? Maybe he is, but not when you consider their salaries.

In my opinion the Bruins need to get a defencemen who is 26-30 to play a 1B defencemen role. Hamiltion is the future of this team, but we need a guy who can be a number one defencemen at times to take the heat of Chara and Hamilton. Someone to score 25+ points and play 21-22 minutes a night and I think the only way we can get that guy is via trade. Let's face it, Seidenberg isn't returning to 2011 form nor is Chara.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Clearly it's going to be
Hall-McDavid-Connelly
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Smith-Spooner-Pasternak
Kelly-Talbot-Ferlin

Jones-Hamilton
Chara-Sidenberg
Krug-Morrow

McDavid from #1 pick
Hall for Lucic and a first
Jones from Krejci and Koko

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lines for next season

Lucic Krejci Connolly (have to produce goals)
Marchand Bergeron Stewart/Stafford
Ferlin Spooner Pasta (regular mins next season)
Smith Talbot Eriksson
Koko

Krug Hamilton
Chara Morrow (reduced min for Chara)
Seidenberg Miller (reduced min for Seidenberg)
Trotman

Rask
Subban

*Kelly gone. Somebody will take him
*Seidenberg gone if somebody is willing to take him. Otherwise reduced role to 3rd pair duties

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Talbot will definitely be on the team he is great value as a 4th line Center/Winger at 800k

I have no problem if Talbot is still Bruin property come training camp in September. He was Boston's most physical forward down the stretch drive after Lucic.

I like his versatility to play all 3 forward positions and his attitude.

But if he gets outplayed in camp and pre-season by younger more skilled players than he needs to either be a healthy scratched. traded or waived.

The days of veteran 3rd-4th line pluggers having there spots locked up before camp even starts just because they are on 1-way contracts needs to end.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guarantee Svedberg won't be here next season.

I put his quotes in the Svedberg thread but he's a UFA (Group VI) and judging by his comments he wasn't happy with his lack of playing time and will probably seek employment elsewhere, whether it be in the NHL or back overseas.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Krug should get a shot in the top 4 next season. It's what he wants, so let him prove it. 47 seems to have that succeed at all costs attitude, I can see him being a fixture here in Boston if he works on his defensive positioning and strength against bigger opponents.

Chara-Hamilton
Krug-
Morrow-McQuaid
Miller

Trade Seidenberg.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Lucic | Krejci | Smith
Marchand | Bergeron | Pasta
Eriksson | Spooner | Connolly
Kelly | Talbot | Filler

Krug | Hamilton
Chara | Franson - MY UFA guy after we unload Seidenberg
Morrow | McQuaid

Rask
Good backup (Lehner is my choice)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
In my opinion the Bruins need to get a defencemen who is 26-30 to play a 1B defencemen role. Hamiltion is the future of this team, but we need a guy who can be a number one defencemen at times to take the heat of Chara and Hamilton. Someone to score 25+ points and play 21-22 minutes a night and I think the only way we can get that guy is via trade. Let's face it, Seidenberg isn't returning to 2011 form nor is Chara.

I don't think that guy's out there to be had Finch. When was the last time a legit #1dman was traded? Those guys have to be drafted and developed. That's what Hamilton is. Over the next few years he's going to take over that role and Chara is going to become the support player.

The same thing has to happen for Seidenberg. They need to pick up a guy who can carry the mail for that pairing so Seid's can just resort playing solid, heavy stay home defense. IMO that pick up needs to be a puckmover. He doesn't have to have Krug type offense and honestly I'd prefer more of a two-way guy like Ehrhoff, but pairing either Seidenberg or Chara with a guy who can't move the puck is the quickest way to getting them stuck in their own zone.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I don't think that guy's out there to be had Finch. When was the last time a legit #1dman was traded? Those guys have to be drafted and developed. That's what Hamilton is. Over the next few years he's going to take over that role and Chara is going to become the support player.

The same thing has to happen for Seidenberg. They need to pick up a guy who can carry the mail for that pairing so Seid's can just resort playing solid, heavy stay home defense. IMO that pick up needs to be a puckmover. He doesn't have to have Krug type offense and honestly I'd prefer more of a two-way guy like Ehrhoff, but pairing either Seidenberg or Chara with a guy who can't move the puck is the quickest way to getting them stuck in their own zone.

I never said a 'legit' #1 defencemen, I meant a guy who is more like a 1B. Someone who is a 2/3 defencemen and can take the pressure off Chara, Seidenberg and Hamilton.

If we were able to trade for and re-sign Seidenberg back in 2010, why couldn't the Bruins do the same thing now? Maybe you have to give up Lucic or Eriksson to do it this time, but the Bruins need a guy like that.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The forwards need a guy with 30 goal potential, no more scoring by committee.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Clearly it's going to be
Hall-McDavid-Connelly
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Smith-Spooner-Pasternak
Kelly-Talbot-Ferlin

Jones-Hamilton
Chara-Sidenberg
Krug-Morrow

McDavid from #1 pick
Hall for Lucic and a first