Lines / combos thread

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
thanks for reminding me what a long season this is going to be. Look at that lineup down the middle. Lookout Eastern Conference, the 77 Canadiens are coming.

j696Ek6.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hughes the better prospect than Alexis Lafrenière? Oh my bad, Alexis is a 2020 draft

Go after both! We missed on Dahlin and it's anybodies guess how bad we are and our chances at landing Hughes and/or Lafreniere in the next two drafts. Point is we need more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two drafts. Lets the kids play and learn in the next two years. We will need them once our prospects start filtering into the system in 2+ years from now.

Stock pile the picks and prospects. We will have a much better young group with less holes to fill and additional assets to use in trades to fill any holes we have. Selling Patch, Byron, Petry and Shaw would help this process. I am all for the youth movement and a team on the rise starting in the 2020/2021 season. We also stand a better chance at landing a impact UFA with a better positive outlook for our team.

I do not support a middle of the pack strategy. I am however a bit nervous on a rebound year where we try to sneak into a wild card spot. This team is going nowhere against the top teams in the East.

Rest Weber for a long as we can. Play Niemi more games than the usual back-up role. Try Domi at center. Trade Patch for a 2019 1st and other 2nd round picks. Trade Bryon... there will be a lot of interest for him and the return would be very good. Trade Petry once Weber comes back healthy. Play Alzner and Benn to help the tank.

Reactions: Habs

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Domi should come out flying. Kotkaniemi was a fan of Armia growing up, and I think their styles could mesh well. Domi is a good setup guy and could help the two Finns get some scoring chances.

Hudon - Drouin - Gallagher
Gallagher gets the best out of everyone. Drouin is the roster forward with the most potential so I would always pair them. Hudon is quite versatile and has some untapped offense in him. He needs to play with some talented players so that's a combo I'd like to see. Plus Gallagher and Hudon are "all in" type of players, so maybe that rubs off on Drouin.

Pacioretty/Lehkonnen - Poehling - Scherbak
I've never watched Poehling live. I've read that he's a big two-way center a la O'reilly in terms of style and ceiling. O'reilly is a better version of Danault, who works well with Pacioretty or Lehkonen. Ipso facto Poehling will mesh well with Pacioretty or Lehkonen too, right!? Right. Scherbak is the playmaker that stirs the drink here.

Plekanec - Bench
Combos I'd like to see? If it was up to me those two would be united often this year.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Domi should come out flying. Kotkaniemi was a fan of Armia growing up, and I think their styles could mesh well. Domi is a good setup guy and could help the two Finns get some scoring chances.

Gallagher gets the best of everyone. Drouin is the roster forward with the most potential so I would always pair them. Hudon is quite versatile and has some untapped offense in him. He needs to play with some talented players so that's a combo I'd like to see. Plus Gallagher and Hudon are "all in" type of players, so maybe that rubs off on Drouin.

I've never watched Poehling live. I've read that he's a big two-way center a la O'reilly in terms of style and ceiling. O'reilly is a better version of Danault, who works well with Pacioretty or Lehkonen. Ipso facto Poehling will mesh well with Pacioretty or Lehkonen too, right!? Right. Scherbak is the playmaker that stirs the drink here.

Plekanec - Bench
Combos I'd like to see? If it was up to me those two would be united often this year.

Poehling will already be in back to the NCAA, so that won't happen. NCAA guys never do the main camp until they sign (at which point they are ex-NCAA players). We will see him next year.

Reactions: Tourist

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Poehling will already be in back to the NCAA, so that won't happen. NCAA guys never do the main camp until they sign (at which point they are ex-NCAA players). We will see him next year.
Crap I forgot. Was anxious to see how he'd look alongside NHL'ers. Thanks for the reminder. I'd replace him on that pre-season line with De La Rose then.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I get the feeling that Peca will mesh very well with Pacioretty and will be a thing this season. 2 speedy guys & Peca is a good playmaker and doesn't shy from bigger guys. I know we're in big trouble if they play together all year long but I could see it

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

Gallagher gets the best out of everyone. Drouin is the roster forward with the most potential so I would always pair them. Hudon is quite versatile and has some untapped offense in him. He needs to play with some talented players so that's a combo I'd like to see. Plus Gallagher and Hudon are "all in" type of players, so maybe that rubs off on Drouin.

Plekanec - Bench

Where is Danauelt ---> he had chemistry with Patches (assuming he sticks) he would be in and Poehling needs another year of seasoning.

Also I am very high on Peca.... he couldn't break through the Tampa lineup.

Kotkaniemi should have time to develop properly; god knows we have screwed up enough players. I would like to see him in the 2019-2020 lineup.

We will probably be a non-playoff team.... so its "Lose for Hughes" ?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
All I want see is some Kotka in a primary role before he goes back to Assat.

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher

If Drouin is really more comfortable at C as he claims , it should make for an interesting line.

Lekhonen - Kotka - Armia

All Finn line for the win.

Domi - Danault - Hudon

I think this could make a decent line , especially once they develop chemistry.

Deslauriers - Plekanec - Peca

Best of the leftovers , that's not saying much and Scherbak has no business on a 4th line.

Mete - Petry

Decent duo but will get exposed from overuse and playing in roles that don't suit them.

Rielly - Juulsen

Young line but anything not to see Alzner play 20+ minutes a night , amirite?

Alzner - Lernout/Schlemko

I don't like Benn so...

Price
Lindgren

Niemi

Injured: Byron/Shaw/Weber
AHL/Waived: Scherbak (is he waiver eligible?)/ Froese/Benn

Last edited:

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Put Drouin where he should be (IMO) and let’s see what he and Kotkaniemi can do.

Domi-Danault-Gallagher

Think that these three could mesh well and be a tough line to play against.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Scherbak

Why not

Hudon-Peca-Lehkonen

Good speedy line with skill

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Call me crazy but I would like to see a french connection line during pre-season. I know it will not happen as this would mean giving up on Drouin at center but stilll ... line combos I would like to see.
Also I think Domi's game is more suited to the center position then Drouin. But all that said it may not necessarily happen.

Hudon, Danault, Drouin
Two defensively responsible guy to cover for the shortcomings of Drouin.

Pacioretty, Domi, Gallagher
I think they could click and give Parcioretty the desire to become a goal scorer again (and gain some trade value)

Lekhonen, Kotkaniemi (DLR), Armia
The finns together to make Kotkaniemi feel right at home in his 10 game tryout.

Byron, Peca, Sherback
A speedy Line

Deslaurier, McCaron, Shaw
Some thoughness

Reactions: Want My Dach x 77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Swap out Drouin for Sergachev while youre at it. I honestly dont understand how MB still has a job in this league...
I don't think the Drouin trade is bad if we keep Radulov. Guy played like a center and was a driver, I truly think he turns Drouins game around. Bergevin couldn't afford to overpay for him but he had absolutely no problem overpaying for other players.

Reactions: tankinstyle

tankinstyle

Jun 5, 2008
Québec City, QC
I don't think the Drouin trade is bad if we keep Radulov. Guy played like a center and was a driver, I truly think he turns Drouins game around. Bergevin couldn't afford to overpay for him but he had absolutely no problem overpaying for other players.
I agree but i thought it would be ideal to groom Sergachev for that top pairing under the tutelage of Markov. The reason why last season ( and probably the next few ones ) was atrocious is because of a total lack of transition game. A decent top 4 on D would solve that and lessen the need for a guy like Drouin. I dont hate his acquisition, i just think that a winning roster shouldve been built differently.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I agree but i thought it would be ideal to groom Sergachev for that top pairing under the tutelage of Markov. The reason why last season ( and probably the next few ones ) was atrocious is because of a total lack of transition game. A decent top 4 on D would solve that and lessen the need for a guy like Drouin. I dont hate his acquisition, i just think that a winning roster shouldve been built differently.
Good point. Should have traded or kept Sergachev as the more valuable asset. I would still give him a pass because I think Drouin becomes a MUCH better player with Radulov.

Reactions: tankinstyle

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Drouin-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Staal-Gallagher
Debrincat-Eller-Lehkonen
Byron-Danault-Carr

Girard-Subban
Markov-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Oh wait...

This is painful to read. I'd put Sergachev on that 2nd pair LD. DebrinCat can take Drouins spot.

Imagine the puck movement coming from that D.

Then remember how immobile the real D corpse was. Insane how incompetent MB is.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This is painful to read. I'd put Sergachev on that 2nd pair LD. DebrinCat can take Drouins spot.

Imagine the puck movement coming from that D.

Then remember how immobile the real D corpse was. Insane how incompetent MB is.
Staal is probably the only unrealistic one but had we traded Plekanec when he was good we easily get 1st+. Very good chance we sign Staal as a replacement imo.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Drouin played probably more central position in junior than Chucky!

So will you finally agree that Chucky is a winger?

The fact is that Galchenyuk has had very good success in the NHL at all the forward positions.

Reactions: Peanut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad