Lines at Practice November 1st

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Just throwing this out there but Weise was a .75ppg player in the AHL maybe he was forced into a role he didn't like in Vancouver? He and Torts both commented on that when he was traded.

He already leads the Habs in primary assists/60m, last five games he's been feeding Pacioretty mere effectively than Desharnais has.

Guy has got speed and hands and size that may be what the apparently inseparable Max&DD duo needs, so why do so many posters keep insisting Weise should be nothing more than a 4th line grinder?

Trust me on this Weise is an adequate plug for now nothing more.
I stand by my claim in the preseason roster thread that we currently have 3 top 6 caliber forwards on this team Plecky Chucky and Max. We have an incredible amount of depth in our bottom 6 but that won't win Stanley Cups. Perhaps we can elevate one of these players to a Top 6 position but not two or three. The Vanek affair showed us that by adding even one quality offensive threat the team becomes transformed because of a better balanced lineup. We need to get our hands on a Semin or someone similar who is an above average playmaker and can take up a permanent residence (RW) on the top 6.
The risk is great but we've got to do something IMHO.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Trust me on this Weise is an adequate plug for now nothing more.
I stand by my claim in the preseason roster thread that we currently have 3 top 6 caliber forwards on this team Plecky Chucky and Max. We have an incredible amount of depth in our bottom 6 but that won't win Stanley Cups. Perhaps we can elevate one of these players to a Top 6 position but not two or three. The Vanek affair showed us that by adding even one quality offensive threat the team becomes transformed because of a better balanced lineup. We need to get our hands on a Semin or someone similar who is an above average playmaker and can take up a permanent residence (RW) on the top 6.
The risk is great but we've got to do something IMHO.
It's not so much Weise that bothers me... it's that it's Weise and DD. Inferior players getting sheltered minutes.

Sure, talk about the broken system and the broken PP... both very legitimate gripes. But the roster management is nonsensical.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's not so much Weise that bothers me... it's that it's Weise and DD. Inferior players getting sheltered minutes.

Sure, talk about the broken system and the broken PP... both very legitimate gripes. But the roster management is nonsensical.

If given a multiple choice question on what ails the Habs...
Go with E all of the above. :laugh:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau
Sekac - Eller - Weise
Prust/Moen - Malhotra - Bournival

Xia

Mar 9, 2011
Toronto
My NHL 15 lines lol...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Eller-Galchenyuk-Parenteau
Bourque-Desharnais-Sekac/Bournival
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Pap
Sekac - Plekanec - Gallagher
Eller - Desharnais - Bourque
Bournival - Malhotra - Weise

Most skilled top line since AK46 - Plek - AK27
Hard working two-way line centred by Plek. They can play the puck down low and take quick shots to catch goaltenders off guard.
Skilled 3rd line with size. I'd tell this line to skate the puck into the zone and shoot shoot shoot.
Solid 4th line with a ton of speed. Can easily out skate most 4th lines in the East. Swap out Bourni for Prust or Moen if we need some physicality and better PK.

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Tinordi - Weaver

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

To me the majority of this stuff is systems. There really isn't any personnel reason why this roster should be having so much trouble and being outshot so consistently. The dead weight (Parros, Murray, BOuillion) is gone, the issue of a top 4 with 3 LH shots is gone, Galchenyuk has appeared to take a step forward, Parenteau has been hugely better than Briere. There really isn't any reason why this roster should be needing to have these comebacks every game and getting out possessed by Calgary.

IMO the roster issue isn't really with DD. I think everyone wants a better #1C than Desharnais, but I think it's pretty reasonable to say that we're better off with DD at C and Galchenyuk on the wing. Problem becomes that if we move Galchenyuk to C we're better long term at C but then Pacioretty becomes the only top 6 LW. I think the marginal upgrade of Galchenyuk over DD at center doesn't offset the downgrade of Sekac, Bournival, Prust, or Bourque at LW over Galchenyuk. I really just have a hard time believing DD out and another center in changes things drastically, DD isn't an anchor.

The roster is essentially Therrien proof. Every player on the roster is a competent posession player (save for Moen but even then he's not an anchor and is a capable utility guy). Yet still, we see Moen and Bourque over Sekac and Bournival. I don't like being that guy that micromanages the coach's decisions in the bottom 6, but it's just impossible to justify from my perspective. Both Sekac and Bournival are easily better than Moen, and in all likelihood are better than Bourque. Yet we still see head scratching decisions like Weise in the top 6 and Eller scratched.

I guess to me it just doesn't pass the sniff test that the roster should be having such difficulty competing. I just can't buy an argument that Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Parenteau, Markov, Eller, etc. aren't a good enough core to be competitive. I certainly can't buy an argument that their true talent Fenwick close is in the 47% range.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To me the majority of this stuff is systems. There really isn't any personnel reason why this roster should be having so much trouble and being outshot so consistently. The dead weight (Parros, Murray, BOuillion) is gone, the issue of a top 4 with 3 LH shots is gone, Galchenyuk has appeared to take a step forward, Parenteau has been hugely better than Briere. There really isn't any reason why this roster should be needing to have these comebacks every game and getting out possessed by Calgary.

IMO the roster issue isn't really with DD. I think everyone wants a better #1C than Desharnais, but I think it's pretty reasonable to say that we're better off with DD at C and Galchenyuk on the wing. Problem becomes that if we move Galchenyuk to C we're better long term at C but then Pacioretty becomes the only top 6 LW. I think the marginal upgrade of Galchenyuk over DD at center doesn't offset the downgrade of Sekac, Bournival, Prust, or Bourque at LW over Galchenyuk. I really just have a hard time believing DD out and another center in changes things drastically, DD isn't an anchor.

The roster is essentially Therrien proof. Every player on the roster is a competent posession player (save for Moen but even then he's not an anchor and is a capable utility guy). Yet still, we see Moen and Bourque over Sekac and Bournival. I don't like being that guy that micromanages the coach's decisions in the bottom 6, but it's just impossible to justify from my perspective. Both Sekac and Bournival are easily better than Moen, and in all likelihood are better than Bourque. Yet we still see head scratching decisions like Weise in the top 6 and Eller scratched.

I guess to me it just doesn't pass the sniff test that the roster should be having such difficulty competing. I just can't buy an argument that Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Parenteau, Markov, Eller, etc. aren't a good enough core to be competitive. I certainly can't buy an argument that their true talent Fenwick close is in the 47% range.
Well, this is what I said last year... either you think that the coach got the most out of a bad roster or he got the least out of a good one. I think it's pretty clear that our roster is better than it's shown. We haven't played well going back to last season but goaltending has masked the problems.

And YES how we use DD is a big part of the problem.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Same lines lolllll

Sekac taking turns with 3rd and Bournival the 4th
If they don't draw into the lineup, Therrien is a complete jackass and I hope he gets a puck off his fat nose

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
J-F Chaumont (@JFChaumontJDM) a tweeté à 11:05 AM on lun., nov. 03, 2014 :
#Habs: les trios du jour: Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise, Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher, Bourque-Eller-Parenteau, Moen-Malhotra-Prust.
(https://twitter.com/JFChaumontJDM/status/529303338299711488)

Therrien's love of the status quo and most vets, is legendary. Just look at how much rope he afforded to non-performers last year and how he stubbornly awarded minutes in critical situations to journeymen and over-the-hill types.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Same lines MT? Come on man...try this instead:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Sekac
Parenteau-Plekanec-Gallagher
Desharnais-Eller-Bourque
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Gilbert/Weaver

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
So I guess the only way we see Bournival or Sekac in the lineup this year is if a forward gets injured.

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
Would like to see these lines...

Pacioretty Desharnais Bournival
Sekac Plekanec Parenteau
Gallagher Galchenyuk Eller
Prust Malholtra Weise

Subban Tinordi
Markov Weaver
Beaulieu Gilbert

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
My expectation is that the team now has McCarron coming and the early season has shown them what is necessary, the Chicago game will be the impetus for a move or not. So keeping my eyes wide open for a big move, depending on that games outcome.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad