Line Combos: Lines 2-4 (To start training camp/pre-season)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm so glad to see others who want Soderberg to get a chance to play on the 2nd line. I remember suggesting that months ago in the main rumor thread, and everyone treated me like I was an idiot for suggesting it. Anyway, here's mine:

Calvert - Soderberg - Ghetto

That left wing spot really had me struggling. It seems like the popular choice is to put Jost there, but unless he really shows something in camp/preseason I don't see how he deserves it. He was in a top 6 kind of role for a lot of last season, including top powerplay time, and he simply wasn't able to produce. Calvert, meanwhile just signed for 2.85 million and I doubt that's so he can play on the 4th line. I think they'll give him a shot with Soderberg to see what he can do, and adding Ghetto to that pair gives them some proper offensive talent. I could also see this line being defensively responsible enough to share the shutdown responsibilities with the top line.

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

I've always thought this combo just makes sense. Last season they couldn't really be used to together because they couldn't be trusted defensively. Hopefully in their second year they've improved in that area. Kerfoot is really tempting to put on the wing, but he appears to really prefer center and given his production last season deserves a chance to prove he belongs there permanently. Jost and Compher meanwhile can help share some of the centerman responsibilites. In any case I see this line getting the really sheltered minutes, which hopefully can help the offensive production of all three guys and make this a proper secondary scoring line.

Wilson - Kamenev - Nieto

If Nieto plays really well in camp/preseason I may swap him with Calvert. With him here though I really like the mix here of youth, speed and experience, and I'm relatively convinced that Wilson will have a bounce-back year. His underlying numbers were actually quite good last season and this is a contract year for him. If he plays this season like he did last, then he might not get a next contract in the NHL. I'm giving Kamenev the nod as the 4th line center because we need to see what the kid has, and I don't want to put anyone else there. If he fails I suppose Toninato or Compher can slot in there, but I'd rather Toninato learn how to play offense in the minors and I'd rather Compher play a little higher in the lineup.

In any case, I think this year will be all about discovering who among these guys really is a top 6 player and who isn't. It may turn out none of them are, but hopefully within the first few months of the season we can find at least three besides the top line.

Last edited:

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I'm so glad to see other who want Soderberg to get a chance to play on the 2nd line. I remember suggesting that months ago in the main rumor thread, and everyone treated me like I was an idiot for suggesting it. Anyway, here's mine:

Calvert - Soderberg - Ghetto

That left wing spot really had me struggling. It seems like the popular choice is to put Jost there, but unless he really shows something in camp/preseason I don't see how he deserves it. He was in a top 6 kind of role for a lot of last season, including top powerplay time, and he simply wasn't able to produce. Calvert, meanwhile just signed for 2.85 million and I doubt that's so he can play on the 4th line. I think they'll give him a shot with Soderberg to see what he can do, and adding Ghetto to that pair gives them some proper offensive talent. I could also see this line being defensively responsible enough to share the shutdown responsibilities with the top line.

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

I've always thought this combo just makes sense. Last season they couldn't really be used to together because they couldn't be trusted defensively. Hopefully in their second year they've improved in that area. Kerfoot is really tempting to put on the wing, but he appears to really prefer center and given his production last season deserves a chance to prove he belongs there permanently. Jost and Compher meanwhile can help share some of the centerman responsibilites. In any case I see this line getting the really sheltered minutes, which hopefully can help the offensive production of all three guys and make this a proper secondary scoring line.

Wilson - Kamenev - Nieto

If Nieto plays really well in camp/preseason I may swap him with Calvert. With him here though I really like the mix here of youth, speed and experience, and I'm relatively convinced that Wilson will have a bounce-back year. His underlying numbers were actually quite good last season and this is a contract year for him. If he plays this season like he did last, then he might not get a next contract in the NHL. I'm giving Kamenev the nod as the 4th line center because we need to see what the kid has, and I don't want to put anyone else there. If he fails I suppose Toninato or Compher can slot in there, but I'd rather Toninato learn how to play offense in the minors and I'd rather Compher play a little higher in the lineup.

In any case, I think this year will be all about discovering who among these guys really is a top 6 player and who isn't. It may turn out none of them are, but hopefully within the first few months of the season we can find at least three besides the top line.
Swap Calvert and Jost

Reactions: ljb4

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really didn't like the "kid line" last season, hope Bednar doesn't try that again.
I agree it wasn't terribly effective last season, but the "Higher Education Line" does make a lot of logical sense. If one or two of them takes a next step, I could see that being a good scoring line.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree it wasn't terribly effective last season, but the "Higher Education Line" does make a lot of logical sense. If one or two of them takes a next step, I could see that being a good scoring line.

True, there is that, I just think there are better combos--I really want to see if Compher can take Comeau's place on that "third" line this season, for instance.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Swap Calvert and Jost

I'm basing this on the fact that Calvert outscored Jost last season in pretty much every way you can measure scoring. I don't expect him to stay on the 2nd line all season though - I'm hoping Jost steals that spot or even steals the 2nd line center spot. I just don't want it handed to him without him earning it.

Reactions: Brett44

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Kerfoot-Jost-Sven
Compher-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kamenev-Wilson

??? No idea. I'd like to have Kamenev with some more offensive talent but I can't justify putting anybody else except maybe Kerfoot on the 4th line, and then just feed him PP time. So..

Kamenev-Jost-Sven
Compher-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kerfoot(#2PP)-Wilson

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Kerfoot-Jost-Sven
Compher-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kamenev-Wilson

??? No idea. I'd like to have Kamenev with some more offensive talent but I can't justify putting anybody else except maybe Kerfoot on the 4th line, and then just feed him PP time. So..

Kamenev-Jost-Sven
Compher-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kerfoot(#2PP)-Wilson
Kamenev has lot to proof before putting him ahead Toninato. He was really good last year as a 4C.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kamenev has lot to proof before putting him ahead Toninato. He was really good last year as a 4C.
I wouldn't say he was "really good". He had 2 assists and no goals in 37 games. Even as a 4th liner you need to do better than that. And his defensive game was good, but not elite enough to make up for the lack of production. "He didn't hurt the team" is the best you can say about him. I want him to work on his offensive game in the AHL to see if he can score some, because he'll need at least a little offense to stick.

Reactions: burgundyblue

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
A lot is quite hyperbolic. Toninato is in the making of a solid 4th liner but could use some more time in the AHL, whereas Kamenev is done with the AHL. Kid needs to play in the big league to show what he's got.

Reactions: Tommy G

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
A lot is quite hyperbolic. Toninato is in the making of a solid 4th liner but could use some more time in the AHL, whereas Kamenev is done with the AHL. Kid needs to play in the big league to show what he's got.
Still has to earn his place. And if he does that I'd like to think that the best line up would be center wise:
Mackinnon
Söderberg
Kamenev
Toninato

Jost plays winger.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Still has to earn his place. And if he does that I'd like to think that the best line up would be center wise:
Mackinnon
Söderberg
Kamenev
Toninato
Jost plays winger.

If Kamenev has a great training camp then I'd be okay with him being on the 3rd line.

MacK line
Jost-Soderberg-Nieto
Sven-Kamenev-Compher
Calvert-Kerfoot-Wilson/Toni

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing that should be noted--Soderberg has never worked as the team's 3rd or 4th line center. He's always needed to be on the de facto 2nd line in order to be effective. And much as I'll admit my hate for him post 2016-17 was over the top, I still think his defensive ability is somewhat overrated. Not trying to rag on the guy but I still think if one of the kids forces him down the lineup he will be traded before the end of the season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One thing that should be noted--Soderberg has never worked as the team's 3rd or 4th line center. He's always needed to be on the de facto 2nd line in order to be effective. And much as I'll admit my hate for him post 2016-17 was over the top, I still think his defensive ability is somewhat overrated. Not trying to rag on the guy but I still think if one of the kids forces him down the lineup he will be traded before the end of the season.

Uh.. Well he served as the shutdown center in a season where we missed the playoffs by four points, and another that we made the playoffs. Call it what you want 3rd, 4th, 2nd line or whatever but hes been effective as the center taking the 2nd most difficult matchups on the team and has been mostly successful. Hes also done it without a lot of offensive help too. He definitely hasn't been the traditional 2nd line center, but our team hasn't had a traditional bottom 9 for a while either.

Reactions: klozge

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I think the problem with Soda is that when he was first signed, every single article I read pegged him as both O'Reilly's replacement and a defensive center. He was neither as we now know. He was always an offensive player in his career. This is why I'm so impressed that he has no transitioned into a serviceable (not amazing) two-way forward. It's also why I want him to get more of an offensive role, because that i think suits him better and he's never really been given a chance to do that as an Avalanche player. I also sincerely doubt he gets traded unless the Avs fall out of playoff contention.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Line 2: Kerfoot - Jost - Andrighetto
I don't understand the Kerfoot hate. Kerfoot had 6 less points than Jeff Skinner AS A ROOKIE and alot of people wanted to trade for Skinner as a top 6 LW. It makes no sense.

Line 3: Nieto - Soderberg - Calvert
Calvert replaces Comeau and one of the better 3rd lines in hockey keeps rolling.

Line 4: Kamenev - Compher - Wilson

Kamanev has top 6 potential and would work well beside Jost if one of his his wingers is slow to start the season. I expect a bounce back year from Wilson after injuries slowed him down. 10-15 goals is not out of the question for him. Compher could see a big increase in points if he improves his shooting % especially if he gets 16-18 minutes a night again

Extras: Bourque

Pairing 1: Zadorov - Johnson
Pairing 2: Nemeth - Barrie
Pairing 3: Girard - Cole

Extras: Barberio

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Uh.. Well he served as the shutdown center in a season where we missed the playoffs by four points, and another that we made the playoffs. Call it what you want 3rd, 4th, 2nd line or whatever but hes been effective as the center taking the 2nd most difficult matchups on the team and has been mostly successful. Hes also done it without a lot of offensive help too. He definitely hasn't been the traditional 2nd line center, but our team hasn't had a traditional bottom 9 for a while either.

Yeah I get it, but he's still the best defensive center on a team that still isn't that good defensively. I still say his defensive prowess is overrated (not nonexistent mind you, just not that great) and his primary value has been as a scoring line center. If he's not productive he's not very effective, and in the bottom six his value plummets. So far he's shown he needs those big minutes in order to be effective. It'll be interesting to see how Bednar mitigates that this season should someone like Jost or one of the rookies take a real step forward and snag that 2C role.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Jost and Kerfoot make up the second line. Each of them should hit 50 points this year. Who plays center is the question. I'd throw Sven on the other wing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's funny how much line predictions change, however as of right now I'm hoping for something like...

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Jost-Sven
Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert
Wilson-Compher-Kamenev

The second line is a bit small, so you could sub in Kamenev if he really plays well in preseason, or maybe even Wilson, apparently he's looked great so far.

And I don't really love Compher on the 4th line, but according to Bednar he'd like him to be at center. I'm not nearly as high on JTC as I am Jost but I still think he could be a good 3rd liner for us.

Reactions: Brett44

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
It's funny how much line predictions change, however as of right now I'm hoping for something like...

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Jost-Sven
Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert
Wilson-Compher-Kamenev

The second line is a bit small, so you could sub in Kamenev if he really plays well in preseason, or maybe even Wilson, apparently he's looked great so far.

And I don't really love Compher on the 4th line, but according to Bednar he'd like him to be at center. I'm not nearly as high on JTC as I am Jost but I still think he could be a good 3rd liner for us.

Would like Wilson to start on the second line to add some size and get his numbers up so he looks better at the trade deadline. Of course, he would get the Comeau treatment because he would be too valuable to trade.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah I get it, but he's still the best defensive center on a team that still isn't that good defensively. I still say his defensive prowess is overrated (not nonexistent mind you, just not that great) and his primary value has been as a scoring line center. If he's not productive he's not very effective, and in the bottom six his value plummets. So far he's shown he needs those big minutes in order to be effective. It'll be interesting to see how Bednar mitigates that this season should someone like Jost or one of the rookies take a real step forward and snag that 2C role.

Jost isn't taking Soda's spot this year. It's either matching up Mack's line or Soda's line up against the other teams top line, and i'd much rather Soda be out there and let Mack do his thing as much as possible. I could see a #2A/2B type of situation playing out if Jost breaks out where Soda's line is out more to conserve a lead and Jost will be out there when trying to tie up the game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Would like Wilson to start on the second line to add some size and get his numbers up so he looks better at the trade deadline. Of course, he would get the Comeau treatment because he would be too valuable to trade.

I'll be so happy when the need to sell at the TDL completely disappears from this board. I like unicorns too..

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think this is my final roster want before the season begins:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Wilson
Nieto - Soderberg - Calvert
Andrighetto - Kamenev - Compher
Greer, Bourque

Zadorov - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Girard - Cole
Barberio

Varly
Grub

I think it's better for Greer to start on the big club and practice with the NHLers, then get inserted in the lineup if an injury occurs or we need a spark. Creates competition and keeps everyone motivated. I prefer these D pairings for our overall effectiveness (don't like a Cole-Nemeth pairing - maybe with Barbs) but I do also like the Sammy G - EJ look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad