Line Combos: Line Rush Combos & Practice/Gameday Skate Discussion

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Whenever stuff like Beau skating with the 4th line happens, the discussion gets spread out all over the place in Post Game and Salary Cap threads.

Let's keep it to this thread whenever the Pens have a morning skate or practice. Much easier.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
On Jiggy's mention about the BB "compete level" status. ( from closed thread.) I think it's bs. Yeah, like most young players, especially skilled players, there is a consistency issue in terms of being willing to engage every night. And I think that is all there is to it with Beau. Finding that consistency. And he said it himself, he had a few games in which he "stopped moving his feet".

Maybe somewhat of that laziness is coming from being around his teammates too long, haha. Maybe that lack of compete is rubbing off on him.

I was talking to a buddy of mine today, whose hockey knowledge I value greatly, and I asked him about Perron. I mentioned what you had said Jiggy that it was nice to see a skilled guy that would play hard and gritty as well. And that hopefully it would be a good example to his teammates. He replied 'the more likely sceanrio is that the team's bad habits will rub off on him'. Haha....he could be right.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
We have to pray for a couple of things as fans. And some of it will hurt.

We have to pray for a couple of prime time losses here against Detroit and Chicago. With everyone healthy, that's the only way we'll get some meaningful changes potentially in terms of trades or within the current lineup.

The worst thing that can happen now is what would happen with DB in command. Right when the Pens looked like they were due for some serious changes, they would start rattling off a few wins with Sid and Geno going into God mode and everyone thinking "Hey, we're good again!"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
On Jiggy's mention about the BB "compete level" status. ( from closed thread.) I think it's bs. Yeah, like most young players, especially skilled players, there is a consistency issue in terms of being willing to engage every night. And I think that is all there is to it with Beau. Finding that consistency. And he said it himself, he had a few games in which he "stopped moving his feet".

Maybe somewhat of that laziness is coming from being around his teammates too long, haha. Maybe that lack of compete is rubbing off on him.

I was talking to a buddy of mine today, whose hockey knowledge I value greatly, and I asked him about Perron. I mentioned what you had said Jiggy that it was nice to see a skilled guy that would play hard and gritty as well. And that hopefully it would be a good example to his teammates. He replied 'the more likely sceanrio is that the team's bad habits will rub off on him'. Haha....he could be right.

I just want to try and be fair and make sure my eyes and DVR haven't been somehow misleading me all of this time. What stood out about BB in WBS was his skill and battle level on the boards, and his willingness to go to the dirty areas.

That's why I wanted to see if you and Zen saw the same thing, because I swear a few years back the three of us all agreed that was the one thing we loved about the guy. I had a conversation with KIRK shortly after the lock out ended and told him BB was ready for the show, because he was so good along the boards.

He's been good on the boards since he came up and he peels to the net as well. The only thing he doesn't do is drive the net with the puck, but that's not his game. If MJ wants to change that aspect of his game, I don't think it's going to work, nor a good idea TBTH.

I dunno bro... weird.... He had three bad games, but that was about it.

Of course, we both know this org has no idea how to develop skilled fwds, so no benefit of the doubt from me. I'll just assume they will screw him up until I see otherwise.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow

We have to pray for a couple of prime time losses here against Detroit and Chicago. With everyone healthy, that's the only way we'll get some meaningful changes potentially in terms of trades or within the current lineup.

The worst thing that can happen now is what would happen with DB in command. Right when the Pens looked like they were due for some serious changes, they would start rattling off a few wins with Sid and Geno going into God mode and everyone thinking "Hey, we're good again!"

The infuriating thing is that we've seen what the team can play like. They were good against the Jets when Sid and Geno were out. I just don't understand how they can go all to pieces the way they did in the last few shut-outs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Det and Chi are butter soft and the kind of teams the Pens excel agt though.

I don't see either team blowing them out, but who knows.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Madden: "SUTTER PASSES THE EYE TEST!!!"

looks-good-to-me-.jpg

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Atleast he'll play.

I don't think its a guarantee hes going to play wed.

If he doesn't play on wed then i'l start to buy that the pens are going to trade BB.

When Edmonton traded Perron to us they waited til the day they got Pouliot back from injury to trade Perron, maybe the pens are waiting for Comeau to come back before they decide what they want to do with BB.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I just want to try and be fair and make sure my eyes and DVR haven't been somehow misleading me all of this time. What stood out about BB in WBS was his skill and battle level on the boards, and his willingness to go to the dirty areas.

That's why I wanted to see if you and Zen saw the same thing, because I swear a few years back the three of us all agreed that was the one thing we loved about the guy. I had a conversation with KIRK shortly after the lock out ended and told him BB was ready for the show, because he was so good along the boards.

He's been good on the boards since he came up and he peels to the net as well. The only thing he doesn't do is drive the net with the puck, but that's not his game.

I dunno bro... weird....

Yeah, absolutely. Going into watching his Denver games, I wasn't sure what to expect, but right from his college days, he was always willing to engage with battles. Good board work, never afraid to take the body, or take a hit to make a play. As a freshmen, he took awhile to get going with offense, but after that initial transitions, which is understandable for any freshmen, especially coming from a jr b level. I think he was scoreless in his first 10 games or so. After that the rest of that season he was averaging just about a point a game. And that was usually as a third liner. Sometimes second line. He did get PP opps though, which was nice to see for a freshmen. Drew Shore and the speedy Jason Zucker were the big dogs that season. (btw, Zucker just used his speed to get almost all his goals that season, those players in that league just couldn't deal with his wheels. "Jason Zucker, behind the defense".....was a constant statement when watching Denver games.)

Beau's problem, and of course it is no secret, is his injuries. More specifically how his injuries have hampered his development at each stage of his development. It derailed his college progression. I kinda wished he would have stayed another year, as he was never the go to guy in Denver while he played. Or got the top minutes. He would have if he stuck around another year. Although I will say this. The time of with injuries that stopped him from being on the ice, sounds like it was put to good use by working out and getting stronger in body. Something he needed to do. (Plays 37 of 42 games as a freshmen, as a soph, plays only 10 games)

So he goes to WBS, and same thing, plays only 39 games there and then comes up and plays 26 games with the big team. Yeah, I think he was ready enough to play, but I wish he would have played an entire season with WBS. But unfortunately need took precedence over his development.

I hope he can get some balance and stability in his career. And this may not be the team to do it with. As they don't appear to be willing to go through his growing pains. But of course it doesn't matter what team he is with if he can't stay healthy. Dude needs some luck, as he has had some bizarre injury occurrences. But he has pretty much missed a good portion of his college/minor league growth opportunity for better or worse. And now his development is what it is, and he is going to have to show something at this level. Even if it is with a team that isn't in a win now window.

So, yeah, like others have said, sucks that he is playing on the fourth line, I think that is a mistake, a big mistake, but at least he is not in the press box.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

He's been good on the boards since he came up and he peels to the net as well. The only thing he doesn't do is drive the net with the puck, but that's not his game. If MJ wants to change that aspect of his game, I don't think it's going to work, nor a good idea TBTH.

I dunno bro... weird.... He had three bad games, but that was about it.

Of course, we both know this org has no idea how to develop skilled fwds, so no benefit of the doubt from me. I'll just assume they will screw him up until I see otherwise.

You have to have speed to drive the net. You have to be able to gain that half step on a defenseman to the outside and then be willing to cut in. Beau simply doesn't have that half step.

All that aside, you're right about three years ago. He was scrappy along the walls, won a lot of battles and actually threw a few nasty hits on D-men on the forecheck, especially one against a Boston D in game 3 (I just can't remember who it was)

All I know is he's averaging .43 PPG despite NEVER being allowed to get in a rhythm either by coaches or by injuries that killed any momentum he was gaining, as well as being jerked around up and down the lineup and being switched to his off wing to boot. I also know that Geno has never looked more comfortable with any other player this season, which should also count for a ton.

And again: I don't think he's an 80 point player that has all the potential to be a world beater if only the coaches would just give him a chance. I also don't think that sitting him down is costing the team. That's the conclusion these idiot pseudo journalists on twitter think we're drawing when we get upset about him being benched.

What upsets most of us here is the hypocrisy. It's one thing to bench the young guy, but to not even make the other passengers miss a shift? To openly state Kunitz isn't pulling his weight and THEN reward him? To constantly roll Sutter out there despite him being the weakest top 9 player in terms of winning board battles even though that's technically what's required of a third line Center? I'm sorry, but that absolutely reeks?

The Adams thing has been done to death. Like Jiggy stated, I've honestly never witnessed anything like it in my entire life.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think theres definitely an element of "just playing not to get hurt" in Beau's game. If this time off gets him in the right frame of mind, then great.

Theres still a part of me that says MJ is being hard on Beau cuz he does want and need him to be the first half season Beau for this team to be successful. MJ's M.O. , one would think, would be a good developer of young players. He was amazing at it in Portland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad