Line Combos: Line Combos: Future MN Wild

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I just couldn't flood the other threads with countless line combo possibilities so I made a thread. Combos for 2013-14 season and beyond. Since there is so much draft talk, and the possibilities of things I made a thread. Feel free to include any possibilities with potential '13 draft picks if interested.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
First of all: A trade.

To :leafs

Cal Clutterbuck
San Jose 2013 3rd round pick

To :wild

Carl Gunnarsson
Toronto 2013 5th round pick

Now, for the lines...

2013-2014:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley

The "20 million line" stays together, barring any major trades

Coyle-Granlund-Setoguchi

Two prospects in a same line can be risky, but at the same time, they're able to develop chemistry. Setoguchi provides experience and scoring touch.

Larsson/Bouchard-Brodziak-Zucker

Bouchard has declared himself "symptom-free", but his health is still a big question mark. Zucker should be fit for a 3rd line secondary scoring role until he shows he should have Setoguchi's spot. Larsson is defensively solid and should be our future 3rd line C. Brodziak is a no-brainer.

Mitchell-Konopka-Powe

One of the best checking lines out there. Konopka excels at the dot and taking the important face-off, Powe is back to his original role as a Clutterbuck lite and Mitchell is able to provide solid two-way play and an occasional goal. I'd really want to slot Veilleux in there, but he's the healthy scratch and first one to replace a bottom-six injury.

Suter-Spurgeon

I'm trusting Yeo with this one, and frankly, I don't see a better fit next to Suter. Spurgeon should be able to do what he does best when paired with one of the best D-men out there.

C. Gunnarsson-Gilbert

The GG pairing. Gunnarsson brings solid defensive play while Gilbert is an good puck-mover and should be able to make the first pass.

Scandella-Brodin Already familiar with each other from playing in the Aeros together, they both are solid D-men. Brodin benefits from playing small minutes until he shows he can be better than CG, and Scandella's inconsistency will be less of an issue with limited minutes.

Harding
Hackett

1a/1b situation. Minnesota shows that they have not lost their faith in Harding despite his MS, and it shouldn't affect him too badly yet. Hackett is able to step up and contend with Harding for starts.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
13/14

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Granlund - PMB
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Mitchell
Kassian - Konopka - Powe
xViellieux

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Gilbert
Prosser/Falk - Brodin

Drop Setoguchi. I'm just not a fan. Sorry. Cullen retires and joins the team's front office.

EDIT: If the season were to start January 1st, or anytime soon, really, I would go with:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Cullen - Setoguchi
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Viellieux

With Zucker as the first call up.

I would keep my defense pairings the same as above, except without Brodin. I just think all the prospects could use more Houston time. They should be doing better(save for Zucker, dreamy), and can use some more practice down south. Granlund needs to get his scoring back up, and I'd give him a few weeks or until he starts looking more consistent again. Coyle could come up, sure, but there isn't room. If PMB wasn't ready, I could see an argument, but if Butch is good to go, then Coyle stays down.

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Brunette-Granlund-Miettinen
Havlat-Koivu-Sheppard
Parise-Peters-Heatley
Kassian-Cullen-Johnson

Suter-Zidlicky
Skoula-Barker
Brodin-Connolly

Roloson
Cloutier

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Havlat-Koivu-Sheppard
Parise-Peters-Heatley
Kassian-Cullen-Johnson

Suter-Zidlicky
Skoula-Barker
Brodin-Connolly

Roloson
Cloutier
Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Havlat-Koivu-Sheppard
Parise-Peters-Heatley
Kassian-Cullen-Johnson

Suter-Zidlicky
Skoula-Barker
Brodin-Connolly

Roloson
Cloutier
Took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong with this lineup. Peters isn't on the top line!!

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
First of all: A trade.

To :leafs

Cal Clutterbuck
San Jose 2013 3rd round pick

To :wild

Carl Gunnarsson
Toronto 2013 5th round pick

Now, for the lines...

2013-2014:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley

The "20 million line" stays together, barring any major trades

Coyle-Granlund-Setoguchi

Two prospects in a same line can be risky, but at the same time, they're able to develop chemistry. Setoguchi provides experience and scoring touch.

Larsson/Bouchard-Brodziak-Zucker

Bouchard has declared himself "symptom-free", but his health is still a big question mark. Zucker should be fit for a 3rd line secondary scoring role until he shows he should have Setoguchi's spot. Larsson is defensively solid and should be our future 3rd line C. Brodziak is a no-brainer.

Mitchell-Konopka-Powe

One of the best checking lines out there. Konopka excels at the dot and taking the important face-off, Powe is back to his original role as a Clutterbuck lite and Mitchell is able to provide solid two-way play and an occasional goal. I'd really want to slot Veilleux in there, but he's the healthy scratch and first one to replace a bottom-six injury.

Suter-Spurgeon

I'm trusting Yeo with this one, and frankly, I don't see a better fit next to Suter. Spurgeon should be able to do what he does best when paired with one of the best D-men out there.

C. Gunnarsson-Gilbert

The GG pairing. Gunnarsson brings solid defensive play while Gilbert is an good puck-mover and should be able to make the first pass.

Scandella-Brodin Already familiar with each other from playing in the Aeros together, they both are solid D-men. Brodin benefits from playing small minutes until he shows he can be better than CG, and Scandella's inconsistency will be less of an issue with limited minutes.

Harding
Hackett

1a/1b situation. Minnesota shows that they have not lost their faith in Harding despite his MS, and it shouldn't affect him too badly yet. Hackett is able to step up and contend with Harding for starts.

Change Coyle with Heater and Seto with Zucker.

First D pairing should also be Suter - Brodin.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
13/14
Parise-Koivu-Zucker
I think Zucker's speed and shot would mesh perfectly with Koivu and Parise's hard fore checking and strong defensive game. I feel like he would get a ton of breakaways on that line

Seto-Granlund-Heatley
I think we need a strong shooter with Granlund, and while Heatley has lost some of his ability to create his own shot, Granlund is fantastic at distributing the puck and I really want them together.
Mitchell-Brodziak-Coyle
I think Cal is on his way out with the raise he is likely to get next offseason and the prospects that can do what he does
Kassian - Konopka - Powe
Or some other combination of scrubs. Doubtful any prospects will be here, outside shot of Larsson or Bulmer working their way up

Suter-Spurgeon
I think Brodin and Suter are to similar to play together, and while Gilbert is probably the next best option I think the two Vets get split up
Gilbert-Brodin
Scandella-Falk/Stoner/XXXX

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Parise - Koviu - Heatley
Zucker - Granlund - Coyle
Mitchell - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Scrub

I have a feeling Clutter will be traded.

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Spurgeon
Scandella - Prosser/UFA

I also have a feeling they might try and shore up the defense, possibly by trading one of Scandella, Spurgeon, or Gilbert.

Really it's unfortunate because we needed to see how guys like Gilbert, Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser played this year to assess needs for 13-14.

Harding
Hackett

Self explanatory, unless something (god forbid) happens with Harding.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise - Koviu - Heatley
Zucker - Granlund - Coyle
Mitchell - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Scrub

I have a feeling Clutter will be traded.

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Spurgeon
Scandella - Prosser/UFA

I also have a feeling they might try and shore up the defense, possibly by trading one of Scandella, Spurgeon, or Gilbert.

Really it's unfortunate because we needed to see how guys like Gilbert, Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser played this year to assess needs for 13-14.

Harding
Hackett

Self explanatory, unless something (god forbid) happens with Harding.

Just about what I would have, except my bottom 4 would be...

Scandella - Gilbert
Falk/Stoner - Spurgeon
Prosser

I liked what I saw from Scandella at the end of 2011-12 when he was paired with Gilbert so I'd like to try that pairing from the start. It's not a reflection on Spurgeon, putting him on the 3rd pairing; just trying to balance out the PMDs.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well we really need to see how some of these guys play. We're assuming a lot of things:

- Spurgeon is a bottom pairing defenseman because of his size. Well...Brian Campbell is one of the best defensemen in the league and led the NHL in TOI/G last year and is an inch taller. Spurgeon was penciled in on the top pairing with Suter and that might not be a mistake.

- Brodin will need a steady stay-at-home partner because he's young. Maybe...maybe not. Remember he's been playing pro hockey at a high level for years. He's projected to be a defenseman who can play top minutes against top competition because of his smarts and skills.

- Gilbert will need a steady stay-at-home partner because he's a liability. Probably, yeah. But he's been on an AWFUL Edmonton team and came over to a different system. That might change with some better coaching and talent around him.

Either way, we've got a lot of puck movers and could use a little size and toughness on the back end. I could see someone getting moved, but guys like Scandella, Stoner, and Falk would have a chance to fill that role. Two of those guys are still young and Stoner's fairly experienced but hasn't been healthy.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
13/14

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Granlund - PMB
Kassian - Konopka - Powe
xViellieux

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Gilbert
Prosser/Falk - Brodin

Drop Setoguchi. I'm just not a fan. Sorry. Cullen retires and joins the team's front office.

EDIT: If the season were to start January 1st, or anytime soon, really, I would go with:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Cullen - Setoguchi
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Viellieux

I think Seto has one more year to prove himself, and if he doesnt perform, trade him.

On another note, I feel that if all our prospects turn out to be decent we may have to make some trades. Especially if we grab a top forward in this years draft.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Zucker-Granlund-Seto
ClutterBuck-Cullen-PMB
Mitchell-Brodziak-Powe/Kassian

Suter-Brodin
Spurgeon-Gilbert
Scandella-Stoner

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Zucker-Granlund-Seto
ClutterBuck-Cullen-PMB
Mitchell-Brodziak-Powe/Kassian

Suter-Brodin
Spurgeon-Gilbert
Scandella-Stoner

I don't think any of those players will be on the team, or just Clutter. Brodziak will be the 3rd line center, and if Zucker and Granny are on the 2nd line, then Coyle is on the third. He will be NHL ready (though I personally would give him every chance on the top two lines)

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Seto's a UFA after next year. Even if he's only a 25-25 player, he could get $4m+ on the open market.

This is so true. Only way Wild resigns him is on discount or he suddenly scores 30+, but that's a two edge sword and may warrant more than 4$ for Seto who has been streaky his whole career.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I don't think any of those players will be on the team, or just Clutter. Brodziak will be the 3rd line center, and if Zucker and Granny are on the 2nd line, then Coyle is on the third. He will be NHL ready (though I personally would give him every chance on the top two lines)

Trading PMB I can understand but I really hope we keep Clutter. If you look at our lines do you really see any toughness other than Kassian or maybe Powe? No one else ever really hits that much other than Clutter and I think we need that.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Trading PMB I can understand but I really hope we keep Clutter. If you look at our lines do you really see any toughness other than Kassian or maybe Powe? No one else ever really hits that much other than Clutter and I think we need that.

Buttercup, tough?

Sure, he hits a lot... but tough?

I would love to .gif the Gretzky reaction to Clutter's visor. :laugh::laugh:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Parise | Koivu | Coyle
Zucker | Granlund | Heatley
Setoguchi | Brodziak | Clutterbuck
Mitchell | Konopka | Powe
Kassian

Suter | Brodin
Timonen | Gilbert
Scandella | Spurgeon
Falk

Harding
Hackett

*Rookie
*Free Agent Acquisition

First blush, a lot of rookie players playing key roles. Likely means the team won't be a very serious contender but given some of the upside there and somewhat balanced lines, it should be a playoff team regardless. I think Kimmo Timonen would be the ideal free agent pick up. He should make it to free agency given Philly's cap situation and perhaps Koivu/Granlund could lure him here. In my opinion, the goaltending position is up in the air depending on Harding's condition.

* A top 4 defenseman needs to be THE top priority going into next offseason, IMO. If they can't make it happen via FA, Clutterbuck and/or Setoguchi + draft pick(s) is a good place to start to talk trade. Spurgeon and Scandella are quality younger players, but the defense looks a ton better on paper if they're slotted in on the third pairing.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I think Kimmo Timonen would be the ideal free agent pick up. He should make it to free agency given Philly's cap situation and perhaps Koivu/Granlund could lure him here.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. He will finish his career in Philly, just like Selänne finishes his in Anny.

Then again, I didn't see Setoguchi and Heatley being traded either, so who knows? All I know is that Nick Schultz would be a good player to have around now.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I like your thinking TP, but...

Is Timmonen enough of a defensive D-man to pair with Gilbert? I always thought of him as a good two-way guy but he's undersized for the position.

I think we'd run into cap problems with that lineup.

These guys take up about $50M:

Parise / Heatley / Koivu
Seto / Brodz / Granlund
Mitchell / Powe / Konopka / Kassian

Suter / Gilbert
Stoner / Prosser

Harding

Coyle ~ $1M
Zucker ~ 800k
Brodin ~ $1.4M
Hackett ~ $1M

Then you've got RFA's:

Clutter ~ $2M+
Spurgeon ~ $1M
Scandella ~ $1M
Falk ~ $600k

So you're at about $59M without adding in UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad