Line Combos: Line combos for Tuesday - Khan

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
5Sd6F2A.png

:yo:

That's awesome haha

tunasnacks*

I do agree on benching Samuelsson... It's pretty sad when Dan Cleary has better stats then you.

Just need Hank, Helm, and DD to come back and push the scrubs to the press box and force Ken Hollands hand. This HBO 24/7 series is going to be interesting.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
more stress, more skating at center. and bc of datsyuk's magic he wouldn't have to skate up and down the ice as much and/or play as much in d-zone as he would have to when centering his own line.

he played few games at center this year and he's back blew up right away, coincidence? :sarcasm:

I don't really buy that. No offense.

Seems like more of a coincidence than a cause. Hockey is a physical game that grinds you down. I think it was the culmination of all the battling so far this season. Not just a couple games at center.

But that's just my take.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
My biggest concern with this lineup is who gets promoted to play with Datsyuk and Franzen when Bertuzzi gets demoted to the 4th line in the 3rd period of many games.

While it should be Nyquist, Alfredsson, or Tatar, we all know Abdelkader or Heaven forbid Cleary will get the call.

Excited to see the GR line though. And excited to see Datsyuk back on the ice. Hopefully Franzen doesn't take his foot off the pedal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My biggest concern with this lineup is who gets promoted to play with Datsyuk and Franzen when Bertuzzi gets demoted to the 4th line in the 3rd period of many games.

While it should be Nyquist, Alfredsson, or Tatar, we all know Abdelkader or Heaven forbid Cleary will get the call.

Abdelkader is just fine temporary replacement if that keeps Bertuzzi fresh and effective for two periods.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Abdelkader is just fine temporary replacement if that keeps Bertuzzi fresh and effective for two periods.

Just fine at killing possession and playing dump and chase hockey. Abdelkader is good alongside Helm. He's the player that makes Abby's game most effective, because his speed can turn dump and chase into puck possession. Watch Abdelkader when he's carrying the puck up the wing. He literally only has one option: chip it in and chase. He doesn't have the vision, iQ, or skill to gain the line, pause, and look for the trailing center (like Alfie can). It's tough to watch when you have him playing a top 6 role (that's not alongside Helm) and it doesn't benefit most top 6 players (despite how many times Mickey may tell us that Datsyuk "likes" playing with him.)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like how their eyes have the tan line. Someone should make an avatar with that as the first slide, then the next with the sunglasses on saying deal with it.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Love the lines. Three lines that can score. I think the second line struggles though with Weiss and Abby with Alfredsson. Third line is a beaut. Fourth line is a fourth line. Weiss stands at the blue line on the PP regardless. Why not? Better than Sammy. Cleary could actually do some damage on there.

NyquistIsMyGod*

You really believe that?

Kind of. There shoudl be a lot of shots on the net, and Cleary could basically block a defender out. I think this suits him. I'm also a huge fan, but I think he's shot. I do believe that he's an okay fourth liner though. This is the perfect chance for him to do something.

He's scored the most goals in the past 48 hours or so too. Most on the team by a decent margain.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kind of. There shoudl be a lot of shots on the net, and Cleary could basically block a defender out. I think this suits him. I'm also a huge fan, but I think he's shot. I do believe that he's an okay fourth liner though. This is the perfect chance for him to do something.

He's scored the most goals in the past 48 hours or so too. Most on the team by a decent margain.

If Cleary gets it on his stick in the neutral zone, or a fresh zone entry, he coughs it up alarmingly easily. And often. He really gives nothing to the Power Play.

If you just want a net-front guy I'd rather see them go Abdelkader or even Andersson. Both guys are bigger and obstruct more view, Abdelkader can skate, and Andersson can win draws in his sleep right now.

I mean neither of these guys are ideal, but they both bring way more to the table than Cleary.

NyquistIsMyGod*

If Cleary gets it on his stick in the neutral zone, or a fresh zone entry, he coughs it up alarmingly easily. And often. He really gives nothing to the Power Play.

If you just want a net-front guy I'd rather see them go Abdelkader or even Andersson. Both guys are bigger and obstruct more view, Abdelkader can skate, and Andersson can win draws in his sleep right now.

I mean neither of these guys are ideal, but they both bring way more to the table than Cleary.

I disagree. The problem with Abdelkader is he grinds on the PP too much. Cleary can't handle the puck, can't do this, can't do that, but he's smarter. He goes to the net, and generally has a good understanding of where the reboudn is going. These guys are bigger, but Cleary is the better screener.

Andersson is actually semi-interesting though.

This PP could be solid or really bad. Kindl is a knucklehead. Weiss doesn't have a great shot, and has the confidence of a two legged dog in a race. Nyquist hasn't been doing too well with the puck. The PP is up to Tatar getting the puck in, and controlling it. I don't think he will though. He's not the best of that. Still tries to do too much.

I think this is worth a shot personally.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cleary can't handle the puck, can't do this, can't do that, but he's smarter. He goes to the net, and generally has a good understanding of where the reboudn is going.

Right, and maybe in an ideal world that makes sense.

But what have we struggled with the most on the PP the last few games?
-Zone entry
-Keeping the puck in clean passing lanes

Now we are talking about putting Cleary on a PP unit. I'm literally not even exaggerating when I say this. If Cleary gets the puck in the neutral zone near the line, or when everyone crowds the line and we gain the zone, if he gets the puck, he turns it over almost every time. Seriously.

So IF we get established with a cycle, I could almost see a use for him in that net-front role. But we have struggled with that lately, and Cleary is basically one less guy that can skate and gain the zone, or keep posession of the puck. So it's like trying to skate up ice and gain the zone with 4 dudes.

Abdelkader is not the greatest in the offensize zone but he can skate and he can stay on his feet. Cleary can't do either of those things. He's also a beter passer.

Andersson is near automatic on draws and has experience with both Tatar and Nyquist. He's also 6'2" and hustles his butt off. I'd gladly play him over Cleary.

If you're actually citing the 1 goal Cleary has scored in the last 24 games as a reason why he should play there, then I don't know what to tell you. You and Babcock would get along great :)

NyquistIsMyGod*

Right, and maybe in an ideal world that makes sense.

But what have we struggled with the most on the PP the last few games?
-Zone entry
-Keeping the puck in clean passing lanes

Now we are talking about putting Cleary on a PP unit. I'm literally not even exaggerating when I say this. If Cleary gets the puck in the neutral zone near the line, or when everyone crowds the line and we gain the zone, if he gets the puck, he turns it over almost every time. Seriously.

So IF we get established with a cycle, I could almost see a use for him in that net-front role. But we have struggled with that lately, and Cleary is basically one less guy that can skate and gain the zone, or keep posession of the puck. So it's like trying to skate up ice and gain the zone with 4 dudes.

Abdelkader is not the greatest in the offensize zone but he can skate and he can stay on his feet. Cleary can't do either of those things. He's also a beter passer.

Andersson is near automatic on draws and has experience with both Tatar and Nyquist. He's also 6'2" and hustles his butt off. I'd gladly play him over Cleary.

If you're actually citing the 1 goal Cleary has scored in the last 24 games as a reason why he should play there, then I don't know what to tell you. You and Babcock would get along great :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying due to Cleary's history, he should get a look here. With Abby we'd dump it in, he'd grind, tie the guy up, and the defenseman would come and dump it in our end. Kindl can't keep a volleyball in on the powerplays. "IF" we can keep it in and get possession, Cleary adds an interesting look. Regardless getting it in and keeping it is the same as Abdelkader.

I agree with you on Andersson due to his faceoff abilities. I take it Weiss will be taking them on the second unit right now. Andersson has size, an improving offensive game, chemistry, and awesome on the dot. I think he should be on. I'm agreeing with you. I just don't think Cleary is the worst that we can do right now.

Cleary's hot right now. Has outscored Franzen, Tatar, Nyquist and so on since Saturday.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying due to Cleary's history, he should get a look here. With Abby we'd dump it in, he'd grind, tie the guy up, and the defenseman would come and dump it in our end. Kindl can't keep a volleyball in on the powerplays. "IF" we can keep it in and get possession, Cleary adds an interesting look. Regardless getting it in and keeping it is the same as Abdelkader.

I agree with you on Andersson due to his faceoff abilities. I take it Weiss will be taking them on the second unit right now. Andersson has size, an improving offensive game, chemistry, and awesome on the dot. I think he should be on. I'm agreeing with you. I just don't think Cleary is the worst that we can do right now.

Cleary's hot right now. Has outscored Franzen, Tatar, Nyquist and so on since Saturday.

Haha, I hear you. We clearly have different opinions on Cleary, seems like you're being a bit too nostalgic, but I digress. Also hope that last part is a joke?

As far as I'm concerned.... Dan Cleary makes Justin Abdelkader look like Mario Lemeiux. :laugh:

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
That scary moment when I read projected lines, see a second line of Alfredsson - Weiss - Abdelkader and instead of everyone complaining that Abdelkader is going to single handedly kill anything that line can come up with, I read that Weiss is the terrible one. So interesting how much two months can change the minds of us hockey fans.

I like these lines. I think everyone slots in well... I kind of wish Babcock would put Alfredsson in Franzen or Bertuzzi's spot, but I don't have a complaint about the lineup the way it currently is. Maybe that fourth line can pot another goal and Emmerton can basically be the one and only center this team has that is capable of making Cleary/Samuelsson useful at all. Interesting that his points have both come on goals by Sammy and Cleary.

NyquistIsMyGod*

That scary moment when I read projected lines, see a second line of Alfredsson - Weiss - Abdelkader and instead of everyone complaining that Abdelkader is going to single handedly kill anything that line can come up with, I read that Weiss is the terrible one. So interesting how much two months can change the minds of us hockey fans.

I like these lines. I think everyone slots in well... I kind of wish Babcock would put Alfredsson in Franzen or Bertuzzi's spot, but I don't have a complaint about the lineup the way it currently is. Maybe that fourth line can pot another goal and Emmerton can basically be the one and only center this team has that is capable of making Cleary/Samuelsson useful at all. Interesting that his points have both come on goals by Sammy and Cleary.

A fourth line of Cleary-Miller-Emmerton is a legit fourth line. The problem is, they're not fast at all. It's really solid defensively though, with all of them being legit PK guys. Just overall smart players.

If we are ever healthy, I wouldn't mind Dats with Alfredsson. You have quite a few things that you can do. Weiss really is in an odd spot.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'd rather see Weiss-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi and Alfredsson-Franzen-Nyquist in the top six, but these lines look good considering.

NyquistIsMyGod*

If Datsyuk plays with Weiss and Bertuzzi, you might as well have Datsyuk play with himself. Bert is okay down low, but isn't a shooter. Weiss will sit at the blue. Can't handle the puck, pass, and he refuses to shoot. Dats needs a shooter.

Jusek

Dec 2, 2009
I like how their eyes have the tan line. Someone should make an avatar with that as the first slide, then the next with the sunglasses on saying deal with it.
Something like this:

gif_131x171_e03ff6.gif

Those glasses look little weird though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Did someone just say Cleary's hot right now?

Dude is useless on the PP because he has no hands, prone to turnovers, doesn't win battles in the corners and can't stay on his skates in front of the net.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You guys are wrong. Cleary scoring a goal wasn't the worst thing that could happen to the team. The worst thing that could happen would be Cleary scoring 30 goals in the rest of the regular season and then 10 in the playoffs including the GWG in SCF game 7. God that would suck. I would kill myself.

Also, this would be a great game for Weiss to finally get going. Hey that sounds familiar, almost like something I (and several others) said last game. But seriously though. Earn your damn millions.

If our lines stay that way I hope the third gets a ton of ice time. Seems like you could almost run the first 3 equally. That would certainly give the other coach a hell of a time trying to figure out matchups.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Something like this:

gif_131x171_e03ff6.gif

Those glasses look little weird though.

It's supposed to look weird. Hehe.

You guys are wrong. Cleary scoring a goal wasn't the worst thing that could happen to the team. The worst thing that could happen would be Cleary scoring 30 goals in the rest of the regular season and then 10 in the playoffs including the GWG in SCF game 7. God that would suck. I would kill myself.

If the guy wins us a cup, I will keep him just for gratitude as long as it's not a crippling contract. But let's be real, that is so far out of the realm of possibility. It's less possible than me hooking up with Anna Kendrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad