Line Combos: Line Combo's for HABS Game

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Putting Mac back with Turris and Ryan makes sense

Getting Hoffman easier matchups might also help him develop more confidence, he's speedy and might fit well with Zibanejad

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Putting Mac back with Turris and Ryan makes sense

Getting Hoffman easier matchups might also help him develop more confidence, he's speedy and might fit well with Zibanejad

my thinking is that we need 3 lines to get going if we want to be a threat and have any hope of mounting a comeback

we got the spezza line going
the turris line has been producing (not as much as usual but atleast its decent production)

macarthur for some reason has been able to jump start a line and get them producing, if he can get the zibby line going, then we have 3 lines that are producing and since our coach favors balanced ice time instead of playing the skilled lines more it makes us more of an offensive threat and gives us a better chance to score

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
my thinking is that we need 3 lines to get going if we want to be a threat and have any hope of mounting a comeback

we got the spezza line going
the turris line has been producing (not as much as usual but atleast its decent production)

macarthur for some reason has been able to jump start a line and get them producing, if he can get the zibby line going, then we have 3 lines that are producing and since our coach favors balanced ice time instead of playing the skilled lines more it makes us more of an offensive threat and gives us a better chance to score

Although I'm in favour of putting the original Turris line back together, this was at the back of my mind. Mac always seems to jumpstart players and Zbad looks like he could use it. A mac-zbad-stone line could be really interesting.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
What would you guys think of a top 9 like:

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Stone

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Why are you guys putting Stone in the lineup

Did he get called up?

No he didn't, but who do you think gives us the best chance of winning? Because I'm sure as hell it's not Condra in the top 9...not past this year at least.

I like Condra, and would give him the 4th line wing spot in a heartbeat if we could somehow expunge ourselves of Greening, but he has an untradeable contract and is the opposite wing. Neil will also never be scratched for obvious reasons (not always logical)

And let's face it, Condra is on the outs with this organization IMO. Either Lazar makes the team next year or Stone does this year or next and his spot is gone. He isn't a selke caliber defender and we all know his offensive upside just isn't NHL caliber. Those other two can bring 70-80% of his defensive skills and 200% of his offense.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No he didn't, but who do you think gives us the best chance of winning? Because I'm sure as hell it's not Condra in the top 9...not past this year at least.

I like Condra, and would give him the 4th line wing spot in a heartbeat if we could somehow expunge ourselves of Greening, but he has an untradeable contract and is the opposite wing. Neil will also never be scratched for obvious reasons (not always logical)

And let's face it, Condra is on the outs with this organization IMO. Either Lazar makes the team next year or Stone does this year or next and his spot is gone. He isn't a selke caliber defender and we all know his offensive upside just isn't NHL caliber. Those other two can bring 70-80% of his defensive skills and 200% of his offense.

It's just that this thread is line combo for Saturdays game

I want to see Stone in Ottawa for an extended perior, it's just that he's not going to play Saturday

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Without any callups.

Milo - Spezza - Hemsky
Mac - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zib - Neil
Greening - Smith - Condra

Double shift Hemsky and Ryan whenever possible in place of Neil and Condra.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Hoffman-Da Costa-Zibanejad
Greening-Smith-Condra
Neil

(Kassian far from the Milky Way)

This is exactly my line-up... or almost

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Condra-Smith-Neil
Greening

That top-9 is sexy and very talented

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That third line is too sopht other than Z.

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Lazar would be nice next year though :)

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
This is exactly my line-up... or almost

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Condra-Smith-Neil
Greening

That top-9 is sexy and very talented

I think at this point we know that we can score 3 goals/game. The question becomes who can we put together to stop other teams from scoring.What forwards can play a responsible game? Can we afford to have Karlsson out for 30 minutes who offers less than stellar defence or do we need him to create most our offense. Who have been the most consistent D men defensively? Can we put Wiercioch in at this point, who do we take out? Its the problem that only two or three defensemen have been consistent and they aren't racking up too many points.
An interesting stat is that only 3 players have been on for more goals for than against. Cowen Wiercioch Gryba where Gryba ad Cowen's QOC is in the top 4. Some will ague that their minutes are less but at least the differential is positive for these 3. Phillips is the worst by far.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Greening-Smith-Condra
Neil

(Kassian far from the Milky Way)

lets try this ;)

Karlson Spezza Hemsky
MacA Turris Ryan
Hoff Dacosta Zibby
Greening Smith Michalek

Methot Ceci
Gryba Cowen
Phillips Weircioch

Dominant me thinks.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think at this point we know that we can score 3 goals/game. The question becomes who can we put together to stop other teams from scoring.What forwards can play a responsible game? Can we afford to have Karlsson out for 30 minutes who offers less than stellar defence or do we need him to create most our offense. Who have been the most consistent D men defensively? Can we put Wiercioch in at this point, who do we take out? Its the problem that only two or three defensemen have been consistent and they aren't racking up too many points.
An interesting stat is that only 3 players have been on for more goals for than against. Cowen Wiercioch Gryba where Gryba ad Cowen's QOC is in the top 4. Some will ague that their minutes are less but at least the differential is positive for these 3. Phillips is the worst by far.

This is a good question but I think the problem is within the system and the goalies have to be more solid as well. The team last year had a lot of the same players and finished 2nd in goals against. I'm not saying they should finish top-5 every year but if they were more around 15th, they'd be in a playoffs spot right now

Sure, Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen and Michalek are back healthy this year but they have been very inconsistent defensively. Those 4 have been for A LOT of GA this season. Andy had a tough first half and Lehner has been very inconsistent too

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
Condra-Smith-Neil

On Paper they should be good both ways of the puck but might want to sign another guy for Spezza/Hemsky this year, doesn't seem like Michalek/Spezza have chemistry anymore, particularly defensively, they aren't doing the shutdown job

Would Lazar be ready next year?

Lazar-Da Costa-Zibanejad is what I'd like to see. That line would be exciting :)

Now the defense. Methot is good but he might play a little too much if consistently paired with Karlsson and would be better on the 2nd pairing. Will Cowen be ready to be full-time partner and minute eater for Karlsson next year? Hopefully because it would fix a lot of things

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Phillips/Wiercioch-Borowiecki
Gryba/Claesson

Yes, we need Cowen to reach some of his potential ASAP

We have to trade one of Gryba or Wiercioch

Or do we target a solid #2 D-man?

Solid#2-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-Borowiecki
Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba

Then we trade both Gryba and Wiercioch?