#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad

Huberdeau-Trocheck-Hoffman

Vatrano-Borgstrom-Tippett/Malgin

Sceviour-McCann-Mamin

Mack

That is how Id have my forward group. If we want Bjugstad to succeed, it will have to be with Barkov. Most players on Trocheck’s wing see a drop in production, since he drives the play so much. You need a certain type of player to be paired with him. Bjugstad wouldnt be a good option IMO. Hoffman plays both wings, and even though Id like to see him centered by Barkov, he should do fine on the 2nd line.

What Id actually like to see Boughner try is this:

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad

Huberdeau/Hoffman-Trocheck-Malgin

HuberdeauVatrano-Borgstrom-Hoffman/Malgin

Either drop Huberdeau or Hoffman to the 3rd line, to spread out our scoring even more. Either player would benefit by playing 3rd line oppositions as well, more so a scorer like Hoffman. Also, by spreading them across three lines, we will see the minutes distributed a bit more evenly, which will result in fresher players towards the end of the game, and towards the end of the season. One of our issues at the end of last season was that our top six, mainly Tro and Barky, were completely gassed. I think at some point we will see Hoffman or Huberdeau on the 3rd line, seeing how Boughner likes to shuffle players around.

My D would be:

Matheson-Ekblad

Yandle-Kiselevich

Petrovic-Weegar

Think its time we break up that Yandle-Ekblad pairing. I think this is the most balanced way to go on D.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think Tippett makes the team.

And I see MacKenzie centering the 4th line, not McCann.

We have a surplus of bottom 6 forwards. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Didn't Malgin do fairly well with Trocheck?

If Hoffman doesn't click with Trocheck, which wouldn't surprise me, then I could see the balancing of lines like you mentioned. Which could work out well. Similar to Kessel on the Penguins.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Vatrano-McCann-Malgin
Sceviour-MacKenzie-Mamin
Haley, McGinn

Yandle-Kiselevich
Matheson-Ekblad
Petrovic-Pysyk
Weegar

Luongo
Reimer

Reactions: Ghoste

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
None of these lineups are accurate because they don't have Haley or DMac lol, they're going to play.

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Vatrano-McCann-Borgstrom
Haley-MacKenzie-Sceviour

Extras: Mamin, McGinn

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Kiselevich
Weegar-Pysyk

Extra: Petrovic

I like OP's lineup and it's what I would want but I think mine's closer to what we'll see

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I don't think Tippett makes the team.

And I see MacKenzie centering the 4th line, not McCann.

We have a surplus of bottom 6 forwards. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think he has a better chance of starting the season on the main roster than Borgstrom because I think it's way more likely that Borgstrom goes to AHL rather than Tippett being sent back to Mississauga. Also, positionally, there's more spots available for Tippett to win. I actually think it's close to guaranteed that Tippett starts the season on the main roster. Plus, Tippett still has 2 more games to play before his ELC kick in, correct? Or does it start this season regardless?

Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Hoffman
Vatrano - Malgin - Tippett
McGinn - McCann - Sceviour
Mack/Haley
AHL: Mamin, Borgstrom to start

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think he has a better chance of starting the season on the main roster than Borgstrom because I think it's way more likely that Borgstrom goes to AHL rather than Tippett being sent back to Mississauga. Also, positionally, there's more spots available for Tippett to win. I actually think it's close to guaranteed that Tippett starts the season on the main roster.

I agree, and for the same reasons. Borgstrom being seasoned in the AHL sounds like the best option. Really Tippett would be playing there as well, but we know that is not possible. So back to the OHL it is at some point during the season.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I just hate to see Huby on the third line in any form after such a good comeback from a big injury.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
None of these lineups are accurate because they don't have Haley or DMac lol, they're going to play.

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Vatrano-McCann-Borgstrom
Haley-MacKenzie-Sceviour

Extras: Mamin, McGinn

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Kiselevich
Weegar-Pysyk

Extra: Petrovic

I like OP's lineup and it's what I would want but I think mine's closer to what we'll see

Pretty much this.

Personally, would like to see

Dads-Barky-Bjugy
Huby-Troch-Malgin
Hoff-Borg-Vatrano
McGinn-McCann-Mamin/Sceviour

Matheson - Eks
Yands-Kisel
Petrovic - Pysyk

Extra Haley Mamin/Sceviour Weegar

LTIR Dmac (not actually hurt)

Get the that "Kessel" effect and Borgs can have someone that can carry him and can rack up some apples.

The top two lines can carry over and see if they can maintain production.

Alternatively, I think Trocheck doesnt utilize wingers well so maybe he is better with Vatrano and Malgin and let him carry his own line. That's how he plays anyway

So
Vatrano Trocheck Malgin
Huberdeau Borgstrom Hoffman

Hell, I think I WILL run that on NHL 19

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think much will change for the start of the season besides the introduction of Hoffman into the lineup. If things go south right from the get-go then Boughner will probably ask Dale to promote Borg and/or Tippett into the lineup.

'19-20:
Malgin + Heponiemi + Pysyk + 3rd for Dumba

Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad
Mamin - Borgstrom - Tippett
Sceviour - McCann - Repo
Hunt

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Dumba
McCoshen - Weegar
MacDonald/Stillman

'20-21:
Dadonov - Barkov - Trocheck
Huberdeau - McCann - Hoffman
Mamin - Borgstrom - Tippett
Sceviour - Ang - Repo
Hunt/Bajkov

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Dumba
McCoshen - MacDonald
Stillman

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I can't see them putting Malgin on the second line right off the bat. Hoffman will get his chance on the second line but if it doesn't click then they'll try Malgin or maybe Vatrano. Which I'm fine with.

Also can't see McCann as the fourth line center, just doesn't make sense to make to make him a) play with grunts with almost no skill b) because he sucks with faceoffs

So putting him on the fourth line would not only stunt his offensive game and development but also the line would probably suck since they would give up possession way more often then not. Not to mention being a liability / unusable in defensive zone starts.

I'd wager McCann gets traded before put in a fourth line role.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I can't see them putting Malgin on the second line right off the bat. Hoffman will get his chance on the second line but if it doesn't click then they'll try Malgin or maybe Vatrano. Which I'm fine with.

Also can't see McCann as the fourth line center, just doesn't make sense to make to make him a) play with grunts with almost no skill b) because he sucks with faceoffs

So putting him on the fourth line would not only stunt his offensive game and development but also the line would probably suck since they would give up possession way more often then not. Not to mention being a liability / unusable in defensive zone starts.

I'd wager McCann gets traded before put in a fourth line role.

Malgin did spend a good majority of his time playing with top six forwards, mostly with Trocheck. He showed he has the skill and capability to handle that role, we just dont know if he is ready for it full time. I expect Hoffman to play on Tro's wing, but moving him to the 3rd line, and Malgin to the 2nd line, just gives us three solid lines that can score.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Vatrano-McCann-Malgin
Sceviour-MacKenzie-Mamin
Haley, McGinn

Yandle-Kiselevich
Matheson-Ekblad
Petrovic-Pysyk
Weegar

Luongo
Reimer
The top 6 looks great but I don't love the third line - would rather have Malgin on the second and someone experienced and skilled on the third.

(That applies even more if we bring Tippett or Borgstrom to the third line. )

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Malgin did spend a good majority of his time playing with top six forwards, mostly with Trocheck. He showed he has the skill and capability to handle that role, we just dont know if he is ready for it full time. I expect Hoffman to play on Tro's wing, but moving him to the 3rd line, and Malgin to the 2nd line, just gives us three solid lines that can score.

Yeah I don't mind it. And I like Malgin and how he looked last year with Tro but he still needs to show he can produce at the next level or he'll get yanked. I do think he can do it though and what a boost that would be if he can put up something like a 50 point season.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Vatrano-McCann-Malgin
Sceviour-MacKenzie-Mamin
Haley, McGinn

Yandle-Kiselevich
Matheson-Ekblad
Petrovic-Pysyk
Weegar

Luongo
Reimer

I could deal with MacK centering four last year, but Haley over Mamin really started to piss me off down the stretch. I like Haley, and don't see him being as worthless as others do, but it was so obvious that Mamin is just a way better hockey player. MacK is still useful on PK. I love Haley's effort & "intangibles", but Mamin and Mcginn need to be in front of Haley this season.
I was wondering if Hoffman could play on the right side, it's good he can, as it opens up more options. I haven't looked at any stats, and maybe it's only a sign of the team's improvement as a whole, but is Dadonov even better on the left side as compared to the right?
I think Malgin jumps up and claims his spot on the roster. He seems motivated by the competition for ice time, especially since Vatrano arrived. He has the skills to contribute, and at times he seemed to be emulating Vinny's determined style (I hope all these kids coming up will emulate Vinny's game!). Malgin might be the one that starts to gain more notice around the league this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Borgstrom starts in AHL. I'm very curious to see if Tippett sticks this year, I imagine he will again at least be here for a 9game test run.
FL should have three lines that can score this year.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the power play combos. Their power play could be pretty lethal, and would probably act as a much better "deterrent" than Haley.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I'll give it a shot. This is about halfway between what I would like to see and what is realistic given no one expects Mack or Haley to be traded/bought out.

Dadanov - Barkov - Bjugs
McGinn - McCann - Malgin
Sceviour - Mack - Vatrano

Scratches: Mamin, Haley

It's a shame to have Mamin as a healthy scratch or in the AHL but I think it's too optimistic to expect both Mack and Haley to be sitting most nights.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
All i'll say is that I'm worried if McCann plays center if his faceoffs dont drasticly improve. He was 38% last season

Reactions: I am not exposed

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Dadonov-Barkov-Huberdeau
Malgin-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-Borgström-McCann
Sceviour-MacKenzie-Mamin

Go top heavy for play offs, like Colorado.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Dadonov-Barkov-Huberdeau
Malgin-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-Borgström-McCann
Sceviour-MacKenzie-Mamin

Go top heavy for play offs, like Colorado.
I like the thought of reuniting Barky and Hubie but what happened to Bjugstad? You assuming he got traded?

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Surprised to see Hoffman on no one's 1st line. I vote for him on Barky's line rather than bjugstad. Trochecks linemates don't matter so I'd rather see Hoffman contributing on the first line

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Surprised to see Hoffman on no one's 1st line. I vote for him on Barky's line rather than bjugstad. Trochecks linemates don't matter so I'd rather see Hoffman contributing on the first line
If Bjugstad could actually take a step to the next level (which I think he has), he could be a third line x-factor.

That would move Hoffman right up to Barky’s line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad