Aug 8, 2004
Good point.

Don't you feel this lineup is :

- more talented
- play faster
- better skating
- better passing ability
- better defensively
- wouldn't get ran over more than they are now.

Only weakness vs now is less experience so maybe more growing pains. But in the actual games, the vets don't look like players who have more experience than the rookies. I found that guys like Batherson and Norris were a lot "safer" than guys like Anisimov, Paquette, Stepan, Reilly, etc. Maybe not Stutzle (3 GP, 19 y/o) but he is blue chipper, he will learn fast. Guys like Chlapik, Brown, Brannstrom, Zub have learned through multiple pro seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they are "safer" than those vets IN NO TIME.

The problem with bringing in young players could be the cost involved if you are benching a bunch of vets with one way contracts making NHL money than bringing up young players who were making AHL money & having to pay them NHL money. That would probably blow their budget, they need to start moving guys out & if you can't trade them waive them, but both things have costs associated with them. How much money plays a part in all this always needs to be considered with this owner.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don’t thinks it’s that binary. A third option could be be that you are not privy or recognizing the adjustments the coaching staff is attempting.

The results are getting worse. If there is something there that I don't see it's irrelevant really.

But maybe you can point out the adjustments to the team's breakout. I'd be interested to hear.

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The results are getting worse. If there is something there that I don't see is irrelevant really.

But maybe you can point out the adjustments to the team's breakout. I'd be interested to hear.

I haven’t really broken down their breakout. I have some opinions but that’s not my point. You said DJ was doing nothing OR just banging his head against the wall and I proposed some different options.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The f*** the vets and DJ Smith lineup

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-L.Brown-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Chlapik-White-Abramov

Chabot-Lil Z
Wolanin-Brown
Braanstrom-Jaros

I like those lines. The Paul-Tierney-Brown line is appealing to me. It gives Paul better more offensive line mates.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it already seems clear who the players are that are getting rotated in & out of the lineup at forward & on defence although I don't see most of these players making any kind of difference to this team. At forward they have Galchenyuk, White, Anisimov, Paquette & occasionally they might rotate Haley into the lineup. On defence, it will be Coburn, Wolanin, Reilly & J. Brown, I doubt we see Zub or anyone else until some roster changes are made meaning a trade or two. Once the AHL gets started there could be even less of a chance to see someone get called up until after the trade deadline. My guess is that they will go with all of the guys that are here until they run out of bodies for this yr & hope for a better result next yr. Looks like Ottawa could definitely be a lottery team again.

“Lottery team again” is not news; neither is bottom five in the standings. It appears that Tankathon is about to start and we will be cheering for a #31 finish to guaranty we get a top 4 pick. :)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

My untrained eye definitely missing whatever paquette is doing to be deemed unscratcheable.

There are only 4 Fs other than Paquette who can play the PK in Brown, Tierney, Watson and Paul. We need to get Formenton into the lineup.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Let the damn kids play...
A04396A5-E7EB-4084-8233-B6BD3DB9BE85.png

Play the KIDS - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I wonder why Formenton/Brown weren't even placed in the taxi squad this early on.
They both have showed that the AHL is below their talent level, so I don't get why the team isn't inclined in trying them out instead of Peca/Haley.
The taxi squad wasn't expected to get any games for a while and at the time the B Sens season was expected to start February 5th. They kept some of those prospects off the taxi squad for development purposes. Basically they wanted them to be able to take part in the B Sens training camp and to start getting AHL games. I think it was DJ Smith that mentioned how a guy like Formenton could be back up in a month. So it looks like the plan is to give some of those prospects a bit more development in the AHL and if they perform well enough then they will find room for them either on the roster or on the taxi squad. My guess is that by the end up February guys like Formenton, L.Brown and Sokolov are all getting looks with the Sens.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
End of the year kids only line-up (highly unlikely line-up)

Tkachuk-Norris-Dadonov
Stutzle-L.Brown-Batherson
Paul-White-Brown
Formenton-Pinto-Chlapik

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Braanstrom
Sanderson-JBD

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Will be very pissed if they trade chlapik because DJ doesn’t like him (assuming he doesn’t)
He needs to get in the lineup. He’s better than Stepan, white, paquette right now.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Wolanin missed the 2nd half of last game with an injury. They can place him on injury reserve and then call up Artem Zub. Reilly also struggled a lot last game so he should be out for Josh Brown. Galchenyuk deserves to get back in the lineup so he should get in for Stepan.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Dadanov
Stützle-Tierney-C.Brown
Galchenyuk-Paquette-Watson

Chabot-Gudbranson
Zaitsev-Zub
Coburn-J.Brown

It might be worthwhile to adjust the lines from here but these should be the players dressed for next game.

Reactions: Icelevel

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Its awful how the coach changes lines everygames and play old veteran instead of the young players.

galchenyuk scored 30 goals. Hes 25. Yeah he sucked with 4h liners. Maube try him more than 10min per game with good offensive players and he’ll do better. Might not be the best in the defensive zone, but hes got a snipe.

tkachuk - norris - galchenyuk (on his offside)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think it takes 7 days of Q to get Brann on a taxi squad.

Basically looking at Montreal or at home vs Montreal at the earliest if they haven't initiated that process.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When do we see Joey Daccord?

Anyway .. I would probably just keep rotating Murray and Hogberg .. Hoggy needs more reps .. till one of them steals us a game and stick with him the next one

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
And this guy is one of the biggest fan boys out there
and One of his replies lol

I tried to be optimistic when we acquired him. I wasn't a big fan of the trade at the time but I tried to give it a chance. I hadn't seen him play since his time with the Rangers and thought maybe it was just the coaching situation in Arizona or something that caused the regression. I even tried to bit my tongue early on thinking that maybe his late arrival and missing a good chunk of training camp was the explanation for his poor play and maybe he would start to get his game going. But after 7 games I don't think he should be in the lineup. This looks like a horrible trade and he has been bad this season. He is really slow and struggles to keep up with the play. He has been very inconsistent at faceoffs and at some times he has been plain bad. His linemates have set him up for plenty of scoring chances and he hasn't even come close to getting a dangerous shot off. I am perplexed as to why Dorion would trade for such a player, what they thought he would actually bring to the lineup and what role he should take on now given his current abilities.

Reactions: Micklebot

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Some of the lines looked effective last game so they might want to stick with them. Galchenyuk should be dressed because we need someone who can score goals and he makes our 2nd power play unit dangerous.

With making minimal changes to the forward lines, we could go with something like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-C.Brown
Stützle-Tierney-Batherson
Paul-White-Dadanov
Galchenyuk-Paquette-Watson

That is four balanced lines and gives the coaches lots of options if they want to make line adjustments. It also gives plenty of options for the powerplay.

On defense I think Zub should get a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad