Lindros should be in the Hall

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Why are we comparing Lindros to Crosby? Crosby is assuredly an upper-tier HHOF'er at this point and absolutely not the standard Lindros has to meet.

Speaking of players with worse playoff resumes in the HHOF : Pat Lafontaine.

At the time of his retirement, Lafontaine could be argued to be the best American player who had ever been eligible to be inducted (it's him or Mullen). Unlike Lindros, he was also not a huge, shady jerk.

Maybe those shouldn't be variables, but they probably are.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
I can't see why Lindros should be inducted. What did he accomplished that is so amazing to get him in ?

Can someone enlight me ? (honest question)

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I can't see why Lindros should be inducted. What did he accomplished that is so amazing to get him in ?

Can someone enlight me ? (honest question)

In a nutshell, for a few years he was the face of the league and arguably the best player in the world. An unmatched combination of physical force and offensive talent, unfortunately derailed by injury (much like HHOFer Cam Neely in that regard).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
At the time of his retirement, Lafontaine could be argued to be the best American player who had ever been eligible to be inducted (it's him or Mullen). Unlike Lindros, he was also not a huge, shady jerk.

Maybe those shouldn't be variables, but they probably are.

The best American player to become eligible at the time of Lafontaine's retirement was Frank Brimsek, and the best eligible player at the time of Lafontaine's first year of eligibility was Mark Howe. Not to mention there was another american better than Lafontaine who made it just the year before (Rod Langway). I mean, it's arguable for Howe and Langway (but it shouldn't). But Lafontaine vs. Brimsek is definitely not arguable.

So it shouldn't have been a variable.

But it might have been.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
Ok, after reading a good part of the thread, I can report.

No bs long phrases. I think he could be worthy if he had the career he should have had ( don't even know if the bolded part is correct english), it would be harsh but fair to say Lindros shoulnd't be in because he lacks trophys, he had great playoff campaigns, but choked in big games too, and gettin' Stevensed "ruined" his career otherwise, Lindros could have been Philly's Mario.

If Lindros is inducted, it's because of what he should/could have been/won more than what he actually did (don't flame me, i was 10 in 97, even as a Devil's fan I loved him).

But Elias is more HOFdeserving imo.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ok, after reading a good part of the thread, I can report.

No bs long phrases. I think he could be worthy if he had the career he should have had ( don't even know if the bolded part is correct english), it would be harsh but fair to say Lindros shoulnd't be in because he lacks trophys, he had great playoff campaigns, but choked in big games too, and gettin' Stevensed "ruined" his career otherwise, Lindros could have been Philly's Mario.

If Lindros is inducted, it's because of what he should/could have been/won more than what he actually did (don't flame me, i was 10 in 97, even as a Devil's fan I loved him).

But Elias is more HOFdeserving imo.

Now I have an issue with Elias ever getting in and as well have my moments with Lindros but there is little doubt Lindros deserves it more. He is basically being kept out because he burned a lot of bridges and he is borderline enough to the point where you can still point to a "lack of" things instead of his character. It is a bit like Fleury. He probably is in the HHOF if he had a reputation like, say, Nieuwendyk. He was a better player than him but he still has to wait. Why? Because like Lindros his career on the ice isn't automatically a slam dunk for the HHOF. It is close enough to being borderline that the committee can make that excuse.

For example, a guy like Ed Belfour would be waiting in the wings right now if he had a career more like Tom Barrasso's. Yet he was just too good that even his biggest skeptic has to say "come on, put him in already" which is why he got in there. It would look weird without him in there, while it is still justifiable without Barrasso.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad