Larry Brooks: Lindgren considering leaving U. of Minn to come to NYR

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Corey Pronman wrote something interesting a while back. He said that some of the luster was off Lindgren’s star after the last two years. That spells coaching and development problems to me. It’s typical of the Minnesota program.

Separately, I went back and looked at some of the WJC games and I thought Lindgren looked fine.
Lindgren played well in the WJC. More than just some run of the mill bottom pairing hard hitter. The kid understands systems.

Reactions: belford222

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lindgren made the USA WJC team two years in a row which is a big accomplishment. He was an assistant captain on this year's team. He was also an assistant captain for his Minnesota U. team even though he was only a sophomore this year. All of which tells me he is well regarded by the teams he plays for.....and a leader.

Lindgren doesn't appear to be an offensive D or at least not yet. Brady Skjei's offensive stats were pretty low when he played for Minnesota U. as well. McDonagh's at Wisconsin were not a lot to write home about either. When McDonagh was playing at Wisconsin Brendan Smith was the big deal offensive D whiz. Lindgren like Skjei and McDonagh has been a defense first guy. He is not as big as Skjei or McDonagh but from what I've read it seems he is a more physical player than either of those two.

Lindgren's brother Charles--a goalie in the Montreal system is Brady Skjei's best friend. Hockey can be a small world. So there's an in there too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For what it's worth, I've heard from someone I know that's connected in the NHL that's spoken with Boston's scouting staff about Lindgren and they weren't very high on him at all.

In some ways, I can see a scenario not all that different from McD with Montreal.

The offense didn't come along as quickly as they'd hoped and there was a sense that McD was a nice, but necessarily dynamic defensive prospect.

Not that I am saying Lindgren's upside is near McD's or that he projects as a first pairing defenseman, but I can see some similarities.

Lindgren reminds me of a poor man's Adam Foote. I think he's a solid prospect to keep an eye on.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
In some ways, I can see a scenario not all that different from McD with Montreal.

The offense didn't come along as quickly as they'd hoped and there was a sense that McD was a nice, but necessarily dynamic defensive prospect.

Not that I am saying Lindgren's upside is near McD's or that he projects as a first pairing defenseman, but I can see some similarities.

Lindgren reminds me of a poor man's Adam Foote. I think he's a solid prospect to keep an eye on.

Is it possible that Skjei is trade bait? There are so many defensemen cycling up soon: Pionk/D'angelo/Day/Rykov/Lindgren/Hajek/Bereglazov/Sjalin/Gilmour plus shattenkirk, staal, etc. I'd hate to sell on him and dont think he's near his potential, but if there's potential replacement in the wings (and maybe after this draft...) skjei could fetch the ultimate price this off-season and maybe answer that question of who fills out our first scoring line for next 5,6, 7 years.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is it possible that Skjei is trade bait? There are so many defensemen cycling up soon: Pionk/D'angelo/Day/Rykov/Lindgren/Hajek/Bereglazov/Sjalin/Gilmour plus shattenkirk, staal, etc. I'd hate to sell on him and dont think he's near his potential, but if there's potential replacement in the wings (and maybe after this draft...) skjei could fetch the ultimate price this off-season and maybe answer that question of who fills out our first scoring line for next 5,6, 7 years.
I really doubt it, he's the only even sort of proven one of that bunch. If anything, he should be the stable vet type going forward.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
I really doubt it, he's the only even sort of proven one of that bunch. If anything, he should be the stable vet type going forward.
i agree. but i think about the haul he could get and since its a given theyll have to whittle the d-man pool down, he far and away has the most value. We already know what lindgren and rykov's value are and i dont think they're trading hajek (unless they're full of poop about his upside)... Can't imagine what a package for Skjei would look like...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I highly, highly doubt it.

The Rangers are likely to wait and see what shakes out when it comes to prospects, some of whom are at least a couple of yeas away, to say nothing about stepping into core roles.

Reactions: Ndurpressure

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
i agree. but i think about the haul he could get and since its a given theyll have to whittle the d-man pool down, he far and away has the most value. We already know what lindgren and rykov's value are and i dont think they're trading hajek (unless they're full of poop about his upside)... Can't imagine what a package for Skjei would look like...
The haul Krieder, Zbad and Hayes would get would be good too but they're not trying to build a team from scratch. They, like Skjei, have the most value because they're proven solid NHLers, which we absolutely need. The d pool will whittle itself down as guys who are good in lower leagues end up not being able to hack it in the NHL.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That isn't a given at all. We have no idea how these players will do at the NHL level. The only scenario in which I could imagine Skjei being traded is if we got the 1st overall pick, drafted Dahlin, and then traded Skjei for a RHD like Trouba. Yeah, Dahlin hasn't proven anything at the NHL level either, but he's a pretty safe bet to be a top 4 dman at the very least.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Of the group of 9 young D you mentioned, we will be lucky if 3 are solid NHL players. So no, let’s not trade Skjei.

And even beyond that, I would use half of our draft picks this year on D

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
That isn't a given at all. We have no idea how these players will do at the NHL level. The only scenario in which I could imagine Skjei being traded is if we got the 1st overall pick, drafted Dahlin, and then traded Skjei for a RHD like Trouba. Yeah, Dahlin hasn't proven anything at the NHL level either, but he's a pretty safe bet to be a top 4 dman at the very least.

That's fair. But theres also Free agency. You're right that all of our d-solutions may not already be in-house, but its more likely than all our o-solutions already being in house.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Are those players as good as you think? Sjalin is still 18. Skjei's highest value thus far was right after last season. Right now, he's a young nd pairing D. They're really not as hard to get. I think he'll have more value with the NYR than anywhere else for the next 2-3 years...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I keep reading this... being rather unfamiliar, though, how is everyone sure he's any good especially with an under-the-radar game. David Liffiton was the same way...

Truth be told, we really don't yet.

Though I think Lindgren is a better prospect at this same point - better positioning, better mobility and skating, better coverage. Liffiton was bigger and more of a fighter.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
Are those players as good as you think? Sjalin is still 18. Skjei's highest value thus far was right after last season. Right now, he's a young nd pairing D. They're really not as hard to get. I think he'll have more value with the NYR than anywhere else for the next 2-3 years...

i would agree with you if the plan was to be super-competitive next year, and im not condoning a full on tank, but is Skjei's best value really with us over the next two years if we're not planning on winning?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
After watching this abomination on defense, i dont need Lindgren to be some offensive juggernaut. I need him to be a tough physical defenseman who knows how to play the position, of well, DEFENSE.

I think that's one reason Lindgren tends to get overlooked --- he's a straight up defensive defenseman.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If all falls into place with Lindgren, he ideally would look like the type of player that would've been right at home on the Avs blueline in the mid-90s.

Those no frills, stay at home, defend the den types - Foote, Lefebvre, Leschyshyn, Regehr (draftee).

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think that's one reason Lindgren tends to get overlooked --- he's a straight up defensive defenseman.
And I LOVE it. I dont want a Gilmour who has ZERO CLUE of how to play the position. No more of those. Just be capable of ending offensive plays and distributing the puck up the ice to Zib/Kreider/Buch/Nam/Zucc/Chytil/LA/Howden/Hayes/etc. Thats it. No more of this circus we have going on in our own end. Its bad enough AVs system is terrible, we dont need defensemen out there with an IQ lower than a rat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad